Project Zomboid Derailed By Burglary

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Well just so I'm clear on this, do they have to revert to the latest backup on the website? I mean, if they update the game a la Minecraft, wouldn't that mean that everything since the last update would be on their servers and on anyone who plays this games computer?

Or are they saying that since the last update they have dumped more than 500 hours worth of work into the new update or something?

Regardless of the situation, I think this will teach them a valuable lesson. It's true that the thiefs are the main people to blame, but honestly, if this was their sole source of income, they should have protected it more carefully.

A shattered car window is a good way to learn not to keep valuables in plain sight in your car. I'm 99 percent sure that these guys will be more diligent with their backups from now on.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
samsonguy920 said:
oldtaku said:
These guys aren't cursed, they're just really incompetent.
It is easy to say that, when you don't know all that the guys have gone through. When you are dealing with high stress days, don't you forget to do something important now and then? Don't say you don't. And if you never had high stress days, then you really don't have a place to speak.
Who the f#4$ has never had a high stress day? What kind of stupid apologist argument is that? I'm a professional engineer, and yes, I have high stress days with the CEO or customer breathing down my neck ALL THE TIME, which is why I take normal steps to mitigate foreseeable problems. Yes, I have completely lost all my code, but I back it up frequently in version control, including offsite, so it's not a total disaster.

Every single thing these guys have done indicates that they make zero allowance for normal failure modes. They're not engineering, they're just hacking on code. That's why every little bump ends up being a 'disaster'. I'm sure you know people who are like this in their normal life too.

And as long as gullible apologists actually buy these lazy excuses for not even doing minimal diligence, just because you think you're part of the Community defending against the Haterz, you've got a great little dysfunctional-codependent thing going on and they can keep on being incompetent.

This stopped being excusable the moment they started taking people's money. At that point you have to grow up.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Grey Carter said:
Project Zomboid Derailed By Burglary

Now that the developers have had some time to compose themselves, and presumably scream at the sky for a bit about how unfair the universe is,
That mental image just gave me a horrific case of the giggles.

OT: I've never heard of the game, but this sucks big time for the developers. A lot alcohol was probably ingested that night.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I like the project. So much so that I payed them for development instead of pirating the shit outta this. I hope they aren't derailed for that long. Besides, isn't what they have on the website pretty far along? Get on it boys, not so bad.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Wow you guys are really nice. Go over to CaptainBinky's Twitter. prepare to despise gamers.
The response from gamers was pitiful.

puffenstuff

Jan 31, 2008
Not for the devs benefit because I'm sure they have learned it now, but Rule one of IT: You are only as good as your last backup.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
all I can say INB4 game clone comes out in a few months and these guys call out that their codes was used on it.

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
samsonguy920 said:
oldtaku said:
These guys aren't cursed, they're just really incompetent.
It is easy to say that, when you don't know all that the guys have gone through. When you are dealing with high stress days, don't you forget to do something important now and then? Don't say you don't. And if you never had high stress days, then you really don't have a place to speak.
DON'T reply to Oldtaku he's obviously trolling and seeks your irritation and anger to get his jollies. Hit the report button when you see crap like this. Don't give them the attention they crave.

The thing I love most about the Escapist is the forum moderators are pretty liberal with banning hate mongers. When you see stuff like this, take a deep breath, and find solace that that person wont be here long.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
fuck... that really sucks. first i've heard of this game, and it sounds really awesome. I think ill buy it even if it isn't the best game ever, and even if I am a cheap bastard, just to show support for them, and indie devs in general.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Yeah, read about this on their site. It's a real shame, and they should have had back-ups on hidden externals. Too late now, but you would think makers of a zombie game would be more conscious of looters?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I gave the pre-alpha demo a whirl, and its a really nice game.

I might have suggested even something simple, like Dropbox (pm me for an invite, i want ur spaaaace)

As far as the curse goes, paypal really seem to be a terrible enemy of indie devs. Between the minecraft debacle and now the xenonauts nightmare, they seem to get off on shutting down small business.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Yeah, they should have made backups. But blaming them for this setback is like blaming a woman for having her purse stolen for not looping the handle around the leg of her chair at a restaurant.

And its their home that was just broken into and violated. That's scary and disconcerting. Can't people just drop their nerdy self-righteousness for a second and acknowledge that, "Hey, this *really* sucks?"

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Mid-Boss said:
DON'T reply to Oldtaku he's obviously trolling and seeks your irritation and anger to get his jollies. Hit the report button when you see crap like this. Don't give them the attention they crave.
I am not trolling, I am suggesting that you and Indie Stone grow up. They took your money. They are pretending to be adults. They need to act like adults.

If they learn from this, and the next time they recover from some easily preventable disaster because they'd actually anticipated it, I will buy the game.

I realize that's harsh and not something you want to hear, dude. But once you've dealt with enough defective people in your personal life you'll realize that helping them continue to be lazy and damaged is counterproductive. I am being harsh because the rest of you are easily manipulated into being co-dependent by the basic goodness of your humanity and someone has to be the big evil adult.

We'll see how you feel in ten years.