Properly villainous villains

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Tom Cruise needs to play a villain at some point, he would be perfect for the role, yet nobody attempts this.
Collateral was already mentioned, and he also played the most asshole character in Tropic Thunder. Don't know if that counts as a villain role though.

Hades said:
Hades from Kid Icarus is a very proper villain. Hades clearly adores his role as main villain and is having the time of his life just screwing everyone over and making puns.
Speaking of Hades, James Woods' depiction of the character in the Disney Hercules is downright iconic, and just the right kind of bad guy for this classification.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Ok, please stand aside to let pass he most Evil Villainous Villan I ever read in a Manga EVER:

Kōran Mori from Flame of Recca *Manga Version*

This guy is the biggest motherf*cking incarnation of Lucifer in Earth. For sure he is not very well written by his author, but man, when you just want someone evil, youpoint this guy!!!
So please, enjoy a summary of his evilness in this Spoiler Tag.
BTW, MAJOR SPOIERS FOR THE FLAME OF RECCA MANGA BELOW!!!

How to become an Evil Motherf*cker
- You put mini Bombs inside your Wife and Daughter to blackmail his adoptive son to work for him.
- Ah, what the hell! Let's activate the Bomb of my daughters to saw him I am not Joking and killing her.
- Being a Bigger asshole.....let's take the DNA of my Son who can control Fire and create a CLONE with the DNA of my Daughter so later I can betray him. Also for bonus I CAN F*CK MY OWN DAUGHTER WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT!!!!!
- Oh yeah, btw son, *bimp*. Your Mother was aso explode fom her inside.
*After he get a Power who can literally become John Caepenter's Thing Alien*
-...i get a lot hurt from my last battle....what I can do...what i can do..........I know.....let call every single day beauiful innocent girls in my room to bring me "food" [the food are the girls], then f*ck them and then while I f*cking them, KILL THEM and after i am satisfied, to create more copies of myself with their bodies.....feels good......

And many more, but I would get into a BIG spoiler territory.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Only someone so unspeakably evil could have such a terrible hairstyle

Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men.

He does this

And just continues to rack up the body count from there...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Zen Bard said:

He does this

I hope to never find out firsthand but like...you know he is probably going to kill you right? Like, I dont even trust my brother when hes like "hey, let me do this to you". Like, move your damn head or something!

Same thing when people are made to dig their own graves. Fucking dont! If the mob is gonna kill me anyways, I dont see the need to exhaust myself.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Saelune said:
Zen Bard said:

He does this

I hope to never find out firsthand but like...you know he is probably going to kill you right? Like, I dont even trust my brother when hes like "hey, let me do this to you". Like, move your damn head or something!

Same thing when people are made to dig their own graves. Fucking dont! If the mob is gonna kill me anyways, I dont see the need to exhaust myself.
Heh! Yeah, its like the thinking is "hey, maybe if I dig my own grave, they WONT kill me!" But then again, people have been known to be stupider...err, more stupid.
Potjeslatinist said:
His trademark smarminess makes for a rather effective villain indeed.
bartholen said:
Collateral was already mentioned, and he also played the most asshole character in Tropic Thunder. Don't know if that counts as a villain role though.
I did consider Tropic Thunder, but it was too comedic to take seriously as villainous. Although I definitely watched Collateral, but his character evades me for some reason. If he was just doing the hitman thing, then that doesn't involve much effort, acting wise. He needs to utilise his smugness in raw form. That day will come, and I will be ready and waiting! ;)

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Zen Bard said:

As evil as Anton Chigurh is, I don't he qualifies for this particular category.
The kind that show they're evil, and love every second of it. The kind that look like they punch babies for exercise. That always have an evil smirk and seem to think only of world domination or other malevolence all day.
Granted, this thread was set up by my standard of "villainous", which I differentiate from "evil" villains. When I think of "villainous", I think a typical James Bond villain or The Joker: the moustache twirling, evil smile types. Anton Chigurh is closer to the Terminator than the Joker in that sense: more "evil" than "villainous".

Another example of this type of villain is Wyald from Berserk.

A completely irredeemable, rotten to the core amoral psychopath with no concept of right or wrong. Mass murderer, rapist, arsonist, you name it. In a sense he's possibly the most evil character in the entire manga, and that's really saying something. There are characters who do worse things and in greater scale, but they usually have some reason or goal behind the atrocities. Wyald holds no such compass, and only does unspeakable acts of cruelty because he wants, and is given free reign to.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Saelune said:
Zen Bard said:

He does this

Have you seen the movie? He steps out of a police car (stolen, of course) and approaches a confused yokel in a very polite manner. That's what makes it so chilling.

It also plays on one of the themes of the movie. Chiguhr's portrayed sort of as a force of nature. Everyone who comes in contact with him pretty much knows they're going to die. It's just a question of how messily or painfully (and quickly) it happens.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Well, this guy is certainly gleefully evil...

Evil rarely comes in such adorable packages.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
My pick would be the Big-H himself, the Warmaster:

Powerful, charismatic, skilled, determined and when he's corrupt, so evil it makes puppies cry.
Bah him and the Armless Failure got nothing on the True Lord of the End Times, The Everchosen Himself.

ARCHAON!!!

And there is also Egil Styrbjorn, Chaos Warlord dedicated to KHORNE who kicked Bretonnian Grail Knight ass!!!

And finally by 40k standards.....Sindri and Bale:

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
bartholen said:
Zen Bard said:

As evil as Anton Chigurh is, I don't he qualifies for this particular category.
The kind that show they're evil, and love every second of it. The kind that look like they punch babies for exercise. That always have an evil smirk and seem to think only of world domination or other malevolence all day.
I'd say that Chigurh very much enjoyed what he did, though he may not have maniacally cackled every time he killed someone with the cattle gun. He had some very clear philosophical reasons to justify what he did and almost saw it as his duty.

But I see your point. Perhaps he's more "Evil" than "villainous". So here's my back up villain:

No psychological hangups. No antiheroics. No scarred childhood backstory. Oh sure, it's part of his programming. But you can't deny that he's having a little fun.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Heresy! Goth Viking have nothing on Galactic Tyrants! What's the worse Archaon can do? Burn down a farm? Sack a village? Pillage a castle and get him some booty and plunder?! WEAK! That's like saying the Orcs in LoTR are a bigger threat than Nazis. Its simply not true!

Horus burned the entire galaxy. Millions of worlds, countless billions of lives, so many planets turn into daemon worlds than even now, 10,000 years later, the Imperium still hasn't recovered. In 40k world, Archaon would at best be a low level Captain in the Word Bearers or maybe the World Eaters. In Fantasy World, Horus would be a God. He would conquer the entire Realm in a week.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
BW Megatron's already here, sooo...

Just as iconic as Mark Hamill's Joker was for me, and despite getting almost as much development as Peter, he never really stops being smugly evil. While fully aware that 'there is no profit in the destruction of the planet', it doesn't stop him trying to conquer it when the chance finally arises to get his hands on a Nazi superweapon in Season 5.
Some TAS Kingpin facts:

-Occasionally refers to himself in the third person.

-His wife Vanessa left him after a gang war threatened her life, claiming that all he really loved was 'being the Kingpin of Crime'.

-He weighs over 350 pounds. 2% of that is fat, and the rest is muscle. Or so he claims.

-He had his dad killed after being abandoned and sent to prison to cover his tracks.

-He also had Daredevil's dad killed for trying to expose his crimes.

-He managed to keep his identity secret from Spider-Man for over half of the series despite pulling the strings behind like half the villains. Having this identity revealed coupled with having to throw his son Richard under the cart just like his dad did to him, was the most emotional breaking point he ever had... though it mainly manifested as murderous rage towards those around him, blaming his second-in-command for everything and turning him into a cyborg servant instead.

His various victories:

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
What's the worse Archaon can do?
He made Age of Sigmar happened :p
I dunno man, its just a Warhammer Infinity Crisis. Not impressed with any master plan that can be stopped by Booster Gold.
You right, Sargeras is clearly superior to both Warhammer's forces of Chaos:

I mean the man litirally chops planets in half:

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I'd say the Kurgan from 'Highlander' certainly fits the bill. He seemed to enjoy maiming and beheading his way through the centuries while awaiting the Gathering.
And the Hessian,before the beheading, from 'Sleepy Hollow' deserves a mention as well.

Nov 28, 2007
I am really surprised no one has mentioned this one yet. In my opinion, the closest any movie has come to showing a sociopath. He has no real emotions. He's incredibly self-centered. The only thing that really gives him any sort of thrill is murder, violence, and just plain being better than everyone else. The one, the only, Patrick Bateman.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
I'm not going to narrow it down to one guy. But there is a particular type of villain that Stephen King writes that I just love. That snarky, arrogant, sociopathic guy that just loves to clap his hands and laugh at all the pain he is causing others. Notable examples would be Leland Gaunt, Barlow and Straker, Randal Flagg, Mr. Grey, and a few guys from the Dark Tower series.

I usually would criticize an author for rehashing the same character over and over again, but I love this archetype so much that I'm very happy when it pops up in a King novel. Especially since it makes it easier to plow through the boring monotonous crap that is 80% of his writing.