Properly villainous villains

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
[Disclaimer: I haven't watched a single episode of JoJo, so if you give spoilers here so help me god I will come and murder you and everyone you know in their sleep]

Let's take a moment to celebrate these types, shall we? The kind that show they're evil, and love every second of it. The kind that look like they punch babies for exercise. That always have an evil smirk and seem to think only of world domination or other malevolence all day. The Properly Villainous. Get outta here with your psychological complexity and antiheroicism, Zuko! Your cold methodicality is no use here, Darth Vader! We don't take kindly to eldritch horrors like the Reapers here. This hiah's a place for good plain ol' bad guy-ness only!

I'm making this thread having recently watched this little clip on youtube:
It immediately struck me how villainous Dio seemed just on the basis of that clipshow: the smirk, the cocky, smug attitude, his imposing stature and how he has the power to back all this up. This guy's no poser, but a proper villain, and I want to watch the show now.

Other examples include Ozai from Avatar, for mostly the same reasons as Dio:

And of course Palpatine from Star Wars

Floor's open for more! Include pics, preferably with the villain smirk demonstrated above.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
It took longer for me than most, but only now I am starting to really love Lord of the Rings, so Id go with Sauron. I particularly liked how he used to be a master of subterfuge back when he could shape-shift freely, and turned into a beautiful Elf and basically was Santa Claus just so he can trick the actual elves into being his bitches.

(Yes I am currently replaying Shadow of Mordor)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
My pick would be the Big-H himself, the Warmaster:

Powerful, charismatic, skilled, determined and when he's corrupt, so evil it makes puppies cry.

bartholen_v1legacy

Jan 24, 2009
PapaGreg096 said:
I was going to say Kira but like you said no Jojo
I said no spoilers for JoJo, including characters is fine. And even that includes only major plot points. I've likely seen some of them in other compilation videos anyway.

Saelune said:
It took longer for me than most, but only now I am starting to really love Lord of the Rings, so Id go with Sauron. I particularly liked how he used to be a master of subterfuge back when he could shape-shift freely, and turned into a beautiful Elf and basically was Santa Claus just so he can trick the actual elves into being his bitches.

I don't know how much Sauron qualifies for this particular category. I haven't played Shadow of Mordor, but to my knowledge Sauron has never been "seen" in the mythos in the same way like, say, Darth Vader in Star Wars. Even Silmarillion is written more like a fictitious historical text rather than a story. We're only ever told what Sauron is/was like, we don't witness it firsthand in the story. We know the way he did things, but not what he was actually like in terms of personality. IMO he's more akin to Cthulhu than the Darth Vader, in the way that he's more of a background element that is alluded to and mentioned, but not so much an active player in the moment to moment events of the story.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Well if we are including Jojo let me give you Yoshikage Kira, the man who gives you some tissues and later punches you in the face because nosebleeds makes a mess

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm really surprised the Joker hasn't been named, yet. Dude is a sociopath. The type to laugh as he kills people. To chuckle as bombs explode. To die laughing as you beat him to a pulp. Sure, you can talk about his philosophy or motivations, but when it comes down to it, he's just a villain and enjoys it.

And there's also Kefka who is very much the same. A guy who just wants to cause chaos, death, and destroy the whole world.

Dragon Ball has villains like Demon King Piccolo and Frieza. Piccolo seemed to enjoy killing people and making them fear their inevitable demise. And Frieza was just a greedy tyrant who destroyed anyone and anything that got in his way. No deeper motivations here. No tragic backstory. Just guys who were stronger than anyone else and took advantage of that to push everyone else down. (The same could be said of Future 17 and 18)

Deep Sea King from One Punch Man just wanted to rule the land and sea. And he was all too happy to beat anyone who got in his way. And he planned to kill tons of people. Even went so far as to spit acid at a little girl while in the middle of a fight with Genos because she has to audacity to cheer for him.

Luca Blight used his own personal army to attack trainees of his own nation to blame it on the nation he wanted to go to war with, slaughtered women and children (even after making them beg and oink like pigs), burned villages to the ground, and even sacrificed thousands of people to the Beast Rune in an attempt to get it to materialize it's avatar to cause more havoc. And executed a general for failing one time. When he died he simply laughed about how it took hundreds to kill him, while he slaughtered thousands and declared himself the true face of evil. Though, I guess his backstory is a tragic one. He's still evil as Hell.[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub](I really gotta stop using Suikoden II in these posts.)[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

All the enemy races in Destiny. They all basically exist to kill humans and Guardians. No matter what lore they have, they're basically just evil for the sake of evil.

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
Think I'm gonna have to go with Megatron, specifically the beast wars megatron. power-hungry, sadistic, and utterly brilliant.

when optimus primal went out into a space pod in order to blow up an alien weapon, megs hacked into the thing to seal it up so that primal would die in the explosion, and used the opportunity to use the pods communications systems to gloat about it. he brought one of the most powerful transformers of the time under his control by cutting his spark (the thing that gives transformers life, and is comparable to their soul) in half, and place one half in a specially made box that he could use to cause the transformer pain whenever he felt like it. once figuring out that the cast had all gone back in time to an ancient earth, he attempted to kill the worlds proto-humans to ensure that the human race would not exist to help the autobots win the war against the decepticons in the future. he did this twice actually, once just basically for shits and giggles when he found an ancient decpeticon warship on the planet. he single most successful move was when he attempted to alter time by killing a dormant optimus prime, and came so close to winning that time itself was starting to unravel as part of that episodes (and seasons) cliffhanger.

while alot of the predacons under his command were ready to usurp him, he knew this and allowed it to happen because he knew he could use their plans to his own advantage. he was cold hearted, ruthless and cared nothing for anyone but himself and his rubber duckey (no I am not kidding)

all this taken into consideration, plus his kick-ass voice, leaves megatron as one of my favorite truly villainous villains, yeeees.

and then beast machines came along and ruined his character. but we don't talk about that.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
bartholen said:
PapaGreg096 said:
I was going to say Kira but like you said no Jojo
I said no spoilers for JoJo, including characters is fine. And even that includes only major plot points. I've likely seen some of them in other compilation videos anyway.

Saelune said:

I don't know how much Sauron qualifies for this particular category. I haven't played Shadow of Mordor, but to my knowledge Sauron has never been "seen" in the mythos in the same way like, say, Darth Vader in Star Wars. Even Silmarillion is written more like a fictitious historical text rather than a story. We're only ever told what Sauron is/was like, we don't witness it firsthand in the story. We know the way he did things, but not what he was actually like in terms of personality. IMO he's more akin to Cthulhu than the Darth Vader, in the way that he's more of a background element that is alluded to and mentioned, but not so much an active player in the moment to moment events of the story.
He is actually super active, but everyone mostly knows the main Lord of the Rings plot which is when he was recovering from a major defeat. He was Morgoth's right hand man (Morgoth is the first Dark Lord who Sauron succeeds) and actively seeks to being ruin to the other divine beings and to dominate the world by enslaving everyone. He is also very sneaky about it as he beguiles the elves to make the rings of power for him so he can mind control everyone, and it would have worked if the elves werent also sneaky.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
This ************ right here;

Caius Ballard

Sure, he looks like a fruit. But he is a badass - he kicks the asses of Lightning and crew multiple times, including so badly Snow goes back and becomes a Fal'Cie again and Lightning has to be saved by the Goddess.

In addition, he isn't a madman - his reason for wanting to destroy the world and time itself is completely understandable and justified. He is still a monster, but you don't feel like a Hero fighting him - you feel like you're fighting someone who could've been the hero, had circumstances been different.

He also does the normally impossible - Caius actually wins and defeats the good guys. You spend the entire third game trying to fix his victory (and only somewhat succeeding.)

Also he has a bitchin' theme:

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011

bartholen_v1legacy

Jan 24, 2009
Another wonderful example of a villain who just loves being a dick is the Governor from the Walking Dead comic. He even has the smirk.

Completely devoid of empathy or compassion for his fellow man, utterly fucked in the head, wantonly cruel for seemingly the sake of it yet still capable of leading an entire village to do basically whatever he wants.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, you liked that villian and yet you watch/ read NOTHING of the series????

OT- Welp all of the good ones has been mentioned already. I guess maybe Doflamingo from One Piece count?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Teabag from Prison Break.

Ben Kingsley's character in Sexy Beast. Man, he really was an asshole you couldn't put up with.

I find too much operatic evil not really evil at all, more humourous at best. To truly hate a character demands skill and good writing. The subtleties are required. That dude from Sucker Punch did a fine job of being hateable, but so did many there. Joaquin Phoenix from Gladiator also pretty good.

Tom Cruise needs to play a villain at some point, he would be perfect for the role, yet nobody attempts this.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
bartholen said:
Saelune said:

They showed Sauron all decked out in his armor in one of the movies during a flashback when the ring was first cut off. He looks a lot like the main guy from Overlord. Was pretty bad ass though, knocking away whole ranks of soldiers with each swing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

Clarence Bodecker from Robocop. He has a name that any normal person would get hassled for in high school, and he wear glasses. Doesn't stop him from being one of the most intimidating criminals on screen. Honestly Clarence's whole posse is made up of scary bastards.

The Kurgan from Highlander. Slightly goofier, but he just has so much genuine fun being a merciless barbarian. And Clancy Brown gives him a great sense of threat.

These two dudes from A History of Violence. They get owned fairly quick, but they still scare the almighty shit out of you.

Shout-out to Sarris from Galaxy Quest. See Marvel, this is how you do a cartoon villain well.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Hades from Kid Icarus is a very proper villain. Hades clearly adores his role as main villain and is having the time of his life just screwing everyone over and making puns.

The same goes for Metal face in Xenoblade.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
MeatMachine said:
I now want to know what comic that is.

I would also like to know if the villain was defeated by all the babies pooping at once.

OT

or

Both from Elfen Lied. When your in a world where you are fighting psychopathic mutant girls who, in general, want to murder all humanity in brutal ways and you're still considered worse then them you know your a Properly villainous villain.

One casually conducts horrible experiments on young girls and the other uses a mutilated young girl in constant pain as a kind of radar and also tries to rape a few girls.

Potjeslatinist

Feb 3, 2016
Xsjadoblayde said:
Tom Cruise needs to play a villain at some point, he would be perfect for the role, yet nobody attempts this.
He was the bad guy in Collateral.

His trademark smarminess makes for a rather effective villain indeed.