Prostitution: immoral or in demand

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
As long as it is heavily regulated I'd have no problems with legal prostitution. It'd be safer for both the workers and the clients. I don't think it would completely wipe out the illegal sex trade, but it might heavily reduce it and make it less financially lucrative. That surviving corner though would probably be a violent and scary one.

Geeky Anomaly

Feb 19, 2011
I really like the way prostitution is handled in Germany.

It is government regulated. So, it is TAXED and has health code standards. If a working girl contracts an STD, she's forced to retire.

The ladies can choose their clients. So, if a hooker doesn't like you, or you rub her the wrong way, she can say no, and you can't have her.

The ladies don't stand on the street, they live/work in a "pink house".

The best part....a man has to apply to get into a pink house. His genitals are inspected and he must provide a recently updated medical history to be allowed in. If a client manages to slip past all this and still transmit an STD, he is then sued, and the girl/girls he gave it to get the money.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
Sikachu said:
jamiedf said:
Sikachu said:
[

For someone who appears to be a native speaker of the language, your English is inexcusably bad. If you want people to bother giving you useful responses, put a little effort into making your post clear and easy-to-read.

Prostitution, in my opinion, should be treated no differently to any other act where people sell their bodies to be disposed with by other people. In other words I refuse to pretend there's a difference between taking a cock for money and breaking your back working in a mine for it. Neither are something I would usually do by choice, and so incentivising me to do so financially seems equally exploitative either way.

Human trafficking/slavery is really where my objections to prostitution lie. But I don't think that these HAVE to be a feature of a well-implemented sex industry (see Nevada as an example of this rather than Amsterdam, which is a terrible example).
and how is it inexcusably bad? because i have used some short hand here and there? or using bases instead of basis perhaps? and i have had plenty of useful responses thank you very much so i believe people haven't had any issue with it and neither do you as you all so managed to answer the question? or may be because i didn't post it as a large formal question as i just want some opinions to see how accurate many of the statements within my readings are accurate?
hey escapist just a little question,

im in the middle of a assignment on prostitution for my university course, and all my readings on theories talk heavily of public perceptions, decisions, and opinions as a bases of a lot of arguments.

so i thought id take a little consensus of what your opinion on prostitution is and how you think it should be dealt with.

so my questions are; what are your feelings on prostitution?. why do you think people become prostitutes?. id . what your opinion on managed and tolerance zones?

also a little side note, here in the UK, prostitution is technically not illegal, just the things associated with it.

Hopefully that will quiet your adolescent whining about the standard of your language.

What concerns me more is reading "i just want some opinions to see how accurate many of the statements within my readings are accurate". I presume that this means something like 'I just wanted some opinions to see how accurate many of the statements in my reading are' and this is potentially dangerous for your assignment. Be wary of 'verifying' claims by forum. If you are trying to prove to yourself that there are people out there who genuinely hold one position or another, then the internet is a great place to open your mind. If, however, you are testing claims in the literature, you are doing it very much in the wrong way.
it was hardly adolescent whining, considering your use of weighted words like 'inexcusable' but perhaps you would prefer it if I did behave like an adolescence so you can maintain this arrogant condescension?
I merely wanted to ask a quick question to a larger community, but I have no intention of crafting some excessively formal problem question when all i am curious about were a few opinions, not an attempt to start an academic debate, if that were the case i would have likely posted in the political area and asked about proposed policy and methods of control.

regardless of these points, as I wrote the question within a few seconds in the middle of my reading and people have been able to understand it and answer it then I don't see the need to point out mistakes.
Finally I am not using the forum to validate anything,my work includes nothing but academic resources and that is how it shall remain, it was purely to quench my curiosity as such a source is merely in a piece of academic work.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
80sGuy said:

It is government regulated. So, it is TAXED and has health code standards. If a working girl contracts an STD, she's forced to retire.

The ladies can choose their clients. So, if a hooker doesn't like you, or you rub her the wrong way, she can say no, and you can't have her.

The best part....a man has to apply to get into a pink house. His genitals are inspected and he must provide a recently updated medical history to be allowed in. If a client manages to slip past all this and still transmit an STD, he is then sued, and the girl/girls he gave it to get the money.
That sounds like a great system. Too bad the US isn't smart enough to implement something like that.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
80sGuy said:

although it is taxed as though it is a normal job, they do not receive the same protection that normal career receive (health benefits) many of the Criminologists who study the area often compare the state to being the pimp

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
jamiedf said:
what are your feelings on prostitution?
I think it's fine, if that's what people want to do for whatever reason. I've also dated active prostitutes in the past and they didn't seem to mind it either. Wasn't the most pleasant job in the world, but hey, that's why it pays so well. Better to work a shitty job for a fuckton of money than a shitty job for 9-to-5 wages.

jamiedf said:
why do you think people become prostitutes?
It's an occupation where you can earn a lot of money working very few hours. People do it to fund a university degree, support a drug habit, pay off a mortgage, pay large debts, fund an overseas trip or relocation, and any number of other things that one might need a shitload of money for really quickly. That's definitely the main reason people do it. It's rare for someone to get into it purely from the sexual angle, it's been known to happen but it's not the norm. There are also other reasons such as rebellion and so forth, but money is the main one in most cases.

jamiedf said:
id you think there should be harsher punishments in place?
No.

jamiedf said:
should it be legitimised as a business opposition.
I assume you mean "option" not "opposition". Where I live it's more or less unofficially legal so I guess this question is moot, but assuming it wasn't legal here then I'd say yes. Criminalising it only drives it further underground and into the hands of more unscrupulous people, which inevitably means that girls get hurt.

jamiedf said:
what your opinion on managed and tolerance zones?
I've never seen it in practice so I guess I don't know. I don't see it as a necessary thing, brothels can and do exist wherever people are economically able to set up shop and tolerance zones won't change that. If you're talking about for street walking then maybe it's a good idea but then street walking should ideally not exist anyway, it's very dangerous - legalised brothels is the way to go.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Choppaduel said:
Realitycrash said:
I wouldn't call it immoral, but a society where prostitution is legal there are going to be plenty of people that are doing it even though they really don't want to, to do it because they are addicted to drugs, in poverty, or what not.
Then again, in a society where it isn't legal, people still do it, except in worse conditions. Point is; If people truly, really wanna sell themselves, they should be able to do it. But society better be god-damn sure that it is what they really, really want.
Otherwise, these people need help. I can imagine few things as horrible as forced prostitution because of starvation/threats of violence/ drug abuse.
wait... would you or would you not support a system where prostitution was legal, with a level of regulation of your choice?
I don't have enough statistics, knowledge about or experience with a system that legally supports it to answer that question. I am pretty sure, however, that even within a system where you can legally buy your hookers, there is going to be alot of forced labor. And by forced, I mean people that do it because they got no other options.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
You could probably save money for not having to buy a woman a bunch of drinks then risk getting called out on rape after.
It's the oldest profession in the world.

On the other hand, what's to stop little girl's with their jail-bait card's expired to just pimp themselves out for a lot of easy cash on their 18th birthdays?
Whose to their 17 year old friends won't join in their easy-cash ways or pulled into threesomes with the allure of money?

A prostitution license would be required and the Government would become the pimps.
It could work and there's nothing saying that corruption wouldn't get into this (as it does with everything else).
What I would really hate is to be solicited by a money-needing woman or have prostitutes mixing in with non-prostitutes when I'm trying to find a woman I want to marry/date/love.
What would be worse is finding out your potential life-partner participated in prostitution.

You can also look at the 'path of lease resistance' where having sex is easy, earning money through sex is fun and easy, and a lot of woman would likely participate in some form of prostitution in their lives because of the quick and easy money it would make them.

Sim4500

Dec 5, 2010
80sGuy said:

Knowingly spreading a dangerous STD is obviously illegal, but health checks are not required by law in Germany. You can get government funded, anonymous STD checkups, but they aren't mandatory.
No customer was ever asked for his medical history when he walked into a brothel. Where did u get that idea from? They don't even ask you for your name. (Names are meaningless in this sort of business anyway. No girl uses her real name and I bet many customers use fake names, too)

Streetwalkers still exist in Germany, but I have no experience with those. They might be cheap, but they are full of STDs and either junkies or controlled by pimps.

Prostitutes are legally obliged to pay income tax and even VAT (value added tax), but I doubt many of them actually do it.
By law they can either pay 25Euro per workday OR they pay normal income tax like anybody else.
In reality it's next to impossible for tax investigators to monitor the actual income or working days of a prostitute. There are no receipts, all transaction are made with cash, prostitutes are either self-employed or don't have any fixed working hours or fixed pay, etc.

Only a very stupid prostitute would declare all her income.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
In Demand methinks.

There are a few reasons why the lads love Amsterdam so much. This is one of them. The other is not tulips (although I guess it is two-lips), nor canals, cogs, windmills, delpht or bicycles.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I think it should be made legal.
STI's will drop and the women and men can get regular check ups and will want to. There could be a rule that the people who are to pay for sex have to prove they're free from STI's with a certificate. Prehaps even a rule that condoms must be worn during sexual intercourse?

It'll be easier to crack down on those forcing women, men and, sadly, children into the sex trade which can lead to the help of busting drug dealers as a lot of them are forced into drug smuggling, too.

Also, if it's classed as a proper job, those who work as Prostitutes will have to pay tax and N.I etc. so will be contributing to the system so the job will start to look less tacky in years to come.

I'm not sure what it will do for most of the Women who're doing it to get a drug fix, if it was classed as a proper job, the employers would not want a washed up drug addict, so either they will stay on the streets at a cheaper price and full of STI's and abuse from dodgey folk or resort to muggings and other crime if they don't get help for the addiction.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Prostitution is sex. Its only immoral if you're religious or conservative, for the most part.

If its legal, its better for everyone.

Geeky Anomaly

Feb 19, 2011
I heard it from U.S. service men stationed in Germany. I know that the conduct standards were amended recently, and U.S. servicemen are no longer allowed to visit brothels; they'll be prosecuted under the UCMJ just as if they hired a hooker in the states. The information I got was from the mid 90's.

I guess I shouldn't believe everything I hear. Sorry for the mis-information.

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
Needs to be legalised.

It will always exist, the only way it cannot is if some other perfect replacement is found, but until then prostitution will remain a staple of human civilisation; according to some it actually PREDATES civilisation.

So yeah, needs to be legalised. Fuck pimps.

jam19th

Nov 7, 2009
It works just fine in Nevada so if we go off of that model it should be fine for everywhere else.