Prototype 2 Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Prototype 2 Review

You?ll believe a man can fly ? and eat people whole.

Read Full Article

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
I really liked Prototype 1 (and to be honest I kinda still prefer Mercer over Heller as Heller is kind of a meatheaded 2-D badass, but that's all he needs to be!) but I loved Prototype 2. Sure they scrapped a few interesting mechanics from the first 1 like smashing water towers and trying to slow down the spread of the virus and the Web of Intrigues(?) but they exchanged it with new things like Mutated Lairs and more interesting side-missions that really show Blackwatch's true colors, I particularily liked the New Templar mission. I saw a thread about how some people were pissed with the game, claiming its controls were broken, but I had absolutely no problem with navigation, or combat (other than the block being a tad sticky sometimes.)
The game has a couple or so engaging twists, the story is fulfilling of its role, and the combat is great! I must say however, that Prototype 2 is not a AAA, so don't go expecting a miracle out of every bit of it. If you're patient, go along with the mechanics, and enjoy your time (and if you're a fan of Prototype 1, especially)...

B+!

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
I am so tempted to get this game, but what I loved about Prototype 1 was just running around and being an idiot. I'm not sure if this sequel adds enough to the formula to convince me to purchase it. Maybe when the price drops.

Captcha - "Whoa there" Even the captcha thinks this game is not worth impulse buying.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Sorry to be a grammar a-hole, but this one really bugs me:

"from Prototype whose responsible" should be "from Prototype who's responsible"

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Game is good for mindless fun. You actually feel like an overpowered walking weapon of mass destruction.

As they said, the missions do get pretty repetitious but again it was fun repetition.
Also this was the first game I ever platinumed and at no point did it feel tedious or forced upon me to get the trophies. No pointless multiplayer crammed in but task that were usually achieved by just dicking around in the game.

Reion 13

Oct 26, 2011
While prototype 2 is better than the origional, its stil missing a thing or two.
First of you cant blame others for being you in disguise. second is that you cant hammertoss yourself halfway across the map. And finaly you you cant elbow drop from the top of a building and see how much damage you cause. Well... you can, but you could fall from the moon and it wouldnt make any diference for the AoE. But then again the things they left out are countered by the things they added.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Reion 13 said:
While prototype 2 is better than the origional, its stil missing a thing or two.
First of you cant blame others for being you in disguise. second is that you cant hammertoss yourself halfway across the map. And finaly you you cant elbow drop from the top of a building and see how much damage you cause. Well... you can, but you could fall from the moon and it wouldnt any diference for the AoE. But then again the things they left out are countered by the things they aded.
And don't forget Mass Armor! That was awsome. I got upset when I finished the game and still hadn't seen it become available.

Reion 13

Oct 26, 2011
Jaeke said:
Reion 13 said:
First of you cant blame others for being you in disguise. second is that you cant hammertoss yourself halfway across the map. And finaly you you cant elbow drop from the top of a building and see how much damage you cause. Well... you can, but you could fall from the moon and it wouldnt any diference for the AoE. But then again the things they left out are countered by the things they aded.
And don't forget Mass Armor! That was awsome. I got upset when I finished the game and still hadn't seen it become available.
How i miss chargeing through civillians.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
Handy review, I was going to avoid this completely, but I think I will try to pick it off steam and a reduced price in the future now.

LoveLizard

May 16, 2011
Loved the first one and really enjoying this one. Although I miss the hammer toss, and elbow dropping helicopters.. (and picking pretty blonde civilians to carry to the top of the tallest buildings and devouring with my favorite gruesome consume graphics - civies just disappear now).. the tenticle powers alone are worth playing this game for.

Locking on, jumping around and repeatedly blackholing a tank until it and everything around it is dead, burning and hanging in the breeze from a nearby motorway overpass just does not get old.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
DiamanteGeeza said:

You actually used incorrect grammar there, yourself. If we want to get technical:

"From Prototype whose responsible," should be "From prototype who's responsible."

WMDogma said:
Prototype 2 Review

You?ll believe a man can fly ? and eat people whole.

Read Full Article
OT: I didn't expect such a glowing review; I was expecting, maybe, a two. Also, I really dislike using half of a point in your scoring system. In my eyes, either something is a three, or it is a four. What is a three and a half meant to mean? It was almost a four, but the reviewer couldn't make up their mind? No need to be wishy-washy--pick a number and stick with it. If a game doesn't fit on your scale, there's a problem with your scale. This is also why I believe a pseudo-four point ruler is best.

0 - Abysmal: nothing at all of any quality and no reason to ever play it.

1 - Bad: any interesting concepts or moments of quality are dwarfed by the game's numerous or large problems.

2 - Okay: nothing special and about as many lows as there are highs.

3 - Good: some issues here and there don't hamper the game's overall quality and it's worth a look.

4 - Great: a fantastic game whose quality easily outshines any flaws it may have.

Any game you care to think of is one of the above. It isn't a little okay and a little good. It isn't abysmal but kind of bad. It isn't great but sort of good. The descriptions rule each other out and make it easy to understand at a glance.

Bribase

Nov 30, 2010
Someone should really pay attention to the resolution of this video. Of course the videos aren't great resolution on this site but this was almost impossible to follow in places.

econael

Apr 15, 2009
@Prototype2: It looks like a complete rehash of the first game, which by itself was only a mediocre sandbox title. I myself enjoyed Just Cause 2 much more than Prototype 1.

@Bribase: I wholeheartedly agree. That video looked as ugly as 240p youtube videos.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I wonder if I'll get tired of the constrained variety of the side missions in this game like with Saints Row the Third. Maybe the powers will stay fresh long enough for me to bother completing the game.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Ah, as I assumed, decent but nothing that special. Well that's Activision in a nutshell for you!

/sort of justified dick mode

Still wasn't gonna buy this in the first place but it's nice to know my assumptions were more or less correct XD

Also, is it as brown/grey ugly as the first one? I suppose it fits with the tone of the game but really can we get some purple in there?

[sub]I just like purple[/sub]

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
DiamanteGeeza said:

You actually used incorrect grammar there, yourself. If we want to get technical:

"From Prototype whose responsible," should be "From prototype who's responsible."
Weeeelllll.... actually, if one wants to get really pissy, you shouldn't have capitalized the second 'From'. ;-)

Grammar wars... love it. :)

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
DiamanteGeeza said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
DiamanteGeeza said:

Weeeelllll.... actually, if one wants to get really pissy, you shouldn't have capitalized the second 'From'. ;-)

I'm fairly certain one does capitalize it, as it is the start of a quote.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
DiamanteGeeza said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
DiamanteGeeza said:

I'm fairly certain one does capitalize it, as it is the start of a quote.
No, because the original quote does not have a capital F there (it's a partial quote). You can get away with capitalizing the first 'from' because one could argue you're beginning a new sentence with said quote.

Let's type in text speak from now on. :)