Prototype's Story Holes

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
First thought "pretty interesting take on the story" Second thought "wow, he DOES have a massive popped collar"

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Yopaz said:
Rangerboy87 said:
Somebody get this man a game writing job.
I have to agree with this. I'm not sure how good the games would be, but at least we'd get some interesting stories out of him.
They did approach him to write the new Duke Nukem game, but turned his proposal down because he wanted to portray the guy in a more ironic style.

Even if he did write for a game, there is no guarantee that they would actually use what he wrote in production. A friend of mine met Ms. Pratchett, the writer who produced the Mirror's Edge story. She was (reportedly) very jaded over them discarding most of her input.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
People send Yahtzee reviews? Are these people masochists looking for some sort of illicit thrill?

Shannon Spencer Fox said:
Huh. What's this 'DNF script'
The story, as told to me: A long time ago, Yahtzee was one of the writers asked to write a plot treatment for Duke Nukem Forever. It was apparently a self-aware comedic take on Duke that everyone loved except the decision maker, who didn't like the angle it took and claimed "Duke wouldn't say this!"

and 2nd-person perspective horror game you're referring to? I don't recall those...
Nor do I. I remember he discussed the "Sightjack" thing in the Siren games as being a rare example of 2nd person gameplay*, and IIRC he ruminated on how it wasn't being used to full effect, but I don't think a game idea came out of it.

(* If you move outside of survival horror, I think it was predated by a boss battle in the Battletoads games that was done in second person. Because it uses the same sprites as 3rd person!)

Shannon Spencer Fox

Sep 10, 2008
Micalas said:
Wasn't there a PE3 that came out on PSP recently that no one played because no one give a shit about PSP?
Yes, The 3rd Birthday... but, perhaps unfortunately, you can add one person to that, although I've yet to play it longer than 10 minutes. Almost wish I'd waited for a demo first, or even knew of the magic world of custom firmware before buying it, but maybe I just need to give it a better shot.

But hey, don't knock the PSP; it did give us Kingdom Hearts: BBS, after all. Unless you look at it as another KH game NOT being made on the PS3... heh.

Ragsnstitches said:
That's a pretty good analogy.
Thanks! I rather like it myself, of course.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Micalas said:
Therumancer said:
That said what we need is a crossover between two currently mediocre game franchises in hopes of reviving them both. Find some way to have Aya Brea from "Parasite Eve" go up against the surviving virus from Prototype, it's kind of what she does. For some reason Prototype always made me think of PE anyway.... of course it's doubtful this crossover will ever happen, but it would be fun if it did.... :)
Whaaaa? I loved Parasite Eve. Especially PE2.

Wasn't there a PE3 that came out on PSP recently that no one played because no one give a shit about PSP?
Oh, I liked it too, but the game "The 3rd Birthday" got some pretty middle of the road reviews, and allegedly there was supposed to be another game that came out in Japan and never got a US release for the PS-2 which was set in the same universe. Hence why I said it was a mediocre game franchise.

As far as nobody caring, the PSP wasn't a huge platform compared to some others but still had (and still has) decent numbers of users (including me). Plenty of RPGs and such found a home on that handheld, and really it's the game system of choice for a lot of hardcore RPG players like me, we just happen to be fairly outnumbered. Not to mention it being bigger in Japan, and apparently 3rd Birthday didn't do all that well over there either.

I just thought it would be an amusing crossover since Aya is pretty much the living incarnation of an antibody to kill super viruses, and develops all kinds of crazy powers herself at times. While she wouldn't share the same lore as the Prototype storyline, you could see an analogy to an adaptive super vaccine fighting an adaptive super infection, and which was going to triumph in the end. :)

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
My favorite thing about Prototype 1 story was exactly the fact that we played as this virus entity that considered itself Mercer, while Mercer was dead before the game even began.
Right now, I'm disappointed and not sure I will even try Prototype 2... Plus, I don't want to play as black protagonist to be honest, especially so cliched one...

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I like Yahtzee's premise, I really do but the problem here is I think some people would get lost with that much information being thrown at them. It would be too much to take in at once.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
While I can honestly say that I still want to play this game, having enjoyed the first one, this article may allow me to enjoy the plot more. I'll probably have my own opinion of it after experiencing the story, but I can at least say that I had fun with (if at all). In my opinion, "reading too much into the game" shows that there is potential for a good story, despite being poorly executed. And it also proves that not all gamers are brain-dead, dude-bros.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
maninahat said:
Yopaz said:
Rangerboy87 said:
I have to agree with this. I'm not sure how good the games would be, but at least we'd get some interesting stories out of him.
They did approach him to write the new Duke Nukem game, but turned his proposal down because he wanted to portray the guy in a more ironic style.
Which, incidentally, would have made the game much better than it ended up being, what with trying to be tongue-in-cheek about everything except the Duke, while simultaneously having functional but bland gameplay and terrible level design.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Lord_Gremlin said:
... Plus, I don't want to play as black protagonist to be honest, especially so cliched one...

Just what exactly are you saying?

(I'd be careful. We don't like that sort of sentiment on the escapist.)

Shannon Spencer Fox

Sep 10, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
The story, as told to me: A long time ago, Yahtzee was one of the writers asked to write a plot treatment for Duke Nukem Forever. It was apparently a self-aware comedic take on Duke that everyone loved except the decision maker, who didn't like the angle it took and claimed "Duke wouldn't say this!"
Oh! Yes, Duke Nukem Forever... now I remember that EP column. This is the problem with acronyms, though... ;)

Formica Archonis said:
Nor do I. I remember he discussed the "Sightjack" thing in the Siren games as being a rare example of 2nd person gameplay*, and IIRC he ruminated on how it wasn't being used to full effect, but I don't think a game idea came out of it.

(* If you move outside of survival horror, I think it was predated by a boss battle in the Battletoads games that was done in second person. Because it uses the same sprites as 3rd person!)
Ahh, yes, the first boss in that game, as it happens... and now I feel old. But hey, at least it was before the soul-crushing rocket-sled portion of the game!

Anyway, as for the second-person thing, I suppose you *could* argue that the old Sega CD game Night Trap did it as well... maybe. Depends on your definition of 'second-person perspective', perhaps. Either way, it'd probably be rather tricky to pull off, in my opinion. But it could be interesting to see!

Therumancer said:
Oh, I liked it too, but the game "The 3rd Birthday" got some pretty middle of the road reviews, and allegedly there was supposed to be another game that came out in Japan and never got a US release for the PS-2 which was set in the same universe. Hence why I said it was a mediocre game franchise.

As far as nobody caring, the PSP wasn't a huge platform compared to some others but still had (and still has) decent numbers of users (including me). Plenty of RPGs and such found a home on that handheld, and really it's the game system of choice for a lot of hardcore RPG players like me, we just happen to be fairly outnumbered. Not to mention it being bigger in Japan, and apparently 3rd Birthday didn't do all that well over there either.

I just thought it would be an amusing crossover since Aya is pretty much the living incarnation of an antibody to kill super viruses, and develops all kinds of crazy powers herself at times. While she wouldn't share the same lore as the Prototype storyline, you could see an analogy to an adaptive super vaccine fighting an adaptive super infection, and which was going to triumph in the end. :)
Well, my personal experience with T3B was somewhat marred by the fact that it was pretty darn tricky, even from the start... but maybe I just suck at playing it, or didn't do something right. Either way. That said, the idea of a PE/Prototype crossover *does* sound interesting... and now I have another Rule 42 check to do. :p

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
This Prototype existentialist crisis, his original DNF script, the 2nd person perspective horror game... damn Yahtzee, sell your bar and set up a video game studio already!
Huh. What's this 'DNF script' and 2nd-person perspective horror game you're referring to? I don't recall those... although, arguably, the second one's been done before, if you want to get *super*-technical. ;) http://homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=792

(Unless you meant a current, and arguably *good* game... ^_^)
Formica Archonis said:
People send Yahtzee reviews? Are these people masochists looking for some sort of illicit thrill?

Huh. What's this 'DNF script'

and 2nd-person perspective horror game you're referring to? I don't recall those...

Well, the <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/9002-Yahtzee-Could-Have-Written-Duke-Nukem-Forever>DNF script has already been accounted for. As for the 2nd person perspective horror game, I was talking about this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/9423-Survival-Horror-on-a-Cruise-Ship

You don't see through your own eyes, but the eyes of surrounding CCTVs. :)

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I like the mock-up for what an interesting story for Prototype 2 would be, even if it didn't pan out. But you know very well why you don't get to write for a AAA game and I'll remind everybody else. To quote futurama:

"Clever things make people feel stupid, and unexpected things make them feel scared." You will never be able to write for a big game because you do not disrespect the intelligence and emotional stability of your audience sufficiently.

The Crazy Legs

Nov 11, 2011
... And it's times like this that keep me wondering why Yahtzee hasn't made more games. I mean, Poacher was awesome. The ideas he brings forward like this are pretty awesome. I would buy the games. WHO'S WITH ME?!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
maninahat said:
Yopaz said:
Rangerboy87 said:

Even if he did write for a game, there is no guarantee that they would actually use what he wrote in production. A friend of mine met Ms. Pratchett, the writer who produced the Mirror's Edge story. She was (reportedly) very jaded over them discarding most of her input.
Yeah, I know. It's a shame, but that game had more than story to keep it from being good.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
That sounds like a far more interesting game than the one that was apparently delivered. (Should note I haven't played Prototype 2, partly because I have too many unplayed games and partly because the stupid GameStop ads made me cringe.)

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Well, the <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/9002-Yahtzee-Could-Have-Written-Duke-Nukem-Forever>DNF script has already been accounted for. As for the 2nd person perspective horror game, I was talking about this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/9423-Survival-Horror-on-a-Cruise-Ship

You don't see through your own eyes, but the eyes of surrounding CCTVs. :)
Ah, yes. I'd forgotten about that, thanks! Funny, when he described that I tended to think of Suspended [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspended]. Completely different game, but it had that idea of being trapped and only experiencing the world through mechanical senses that didn't necessarily work the same as the eyes in one's own head.

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
It really bothered me in Prototype 1 how we don't see much of a reaction from Mercer upon finding out he's the virus. In fact, if memory serves, it was just bought up nonchalantly in a cutscene. This series has a few interesting ideas but unfortunately seems let the story fall by the wayside.

By the way what happens to Mercer's sister? Does Prototype 2 even bring her up?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
In the "you're the virus" scene Mercer responds with inner monologue: "At that moment part of me died but another part of me felt relieved" or something like that. His sister gets brushed off in one of the later cutscenes with the woman-monster saying "she has become part of us".

Too bad Scourge Project was a failure, the plot was a bit similar to what you describe:

A hive-minded blob species that assumes human forms has made the mistake of assimilating a highly psychic human that was able to subjugate any part of the hivemind within range. The hivemind's plan was to create sectioned-off entities that are no longer connected via those psychic channels and thus not succeptible to the mind control, give them human shape and persuade those humans to kill the psychic human. The sectioned-off entities are your player characters, the real ones died to the blob stuff long ago and the ones you play are just copies that believe they are these particular people. However since the game was just a C-grade Gears of War clone and got completely panned (didn't help that it was buggy and had bad checkpointing) I don't think we'll ever see the second half of the story (where the player characters go and fight the hivemind).

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ has a lot of amorphous blobs and nanomachine-induced memories and whatnot. The lead character is such a blob, he can devour power-armored soldiers in one bite but he also wields heavy weapons of the kind that can destroy a small starship. He isn't one for subtlety or guilt though, this is the webcomic that brought you "There is no 'overkill', there is only 'open fire' and 'I have to reload'".