Proud to be Irish

Mr Metzger

May 26, 2010
eggy32 said:
Mr Metzger said:
This is a thread for all those Irish gamers (and indeed non-gamers) out there!

So people of Ireland, say where you are from and that you are proud to be Irish!

I am from Newry and I am proud to be Irish
Never thought I'd see another person from Newry here.
Newry.... what a place lol

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
MrBacon said:
If you're half Irish, great. If you're a quarter Irish... OK. But please, if your only connection to Ireland is that your 14th cousin twice removed once had an affair with the photgrapher of a guy whose sister's best friend gave birth in the same hospital as a girl whose husband who got an Irish Wolfhound for his nephew, don't try to claim you're Irish. For the sake of my sanity...
Far as I'm concerned if you don't qualify for an Irish passport you're not Irish, you simply have Irish heritage.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Boba Frag said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
How can anyone be proud to be irish after that awful impression you got of irish people from "the Sabouteur"? (Not sure i spelled that right, but who cares) Though, thinking back. If you know anything about the irish you could easily tell that was an awful recreation of an irish man.
I agree, but it wasn't an Irish actor, production crew or as far as I know have a lot of Irish people attached to it...

We can mercilessly rip it to shreds with impunity for the godawful stereotype the game peddles.
If someone goes away thinking that's what all Irish people are like from one video game, then they clearly need their head examined.

It's like assuming everyone from Sweden is perfectly summarised by The Chef from the Muppets.
People shouldn't publish work based on things they don't know. That's like going to an oral exam and spen 15 minutes talking about how much Hitler loved the jews.

As for the Muppet comment. It certainly would make it a lot more fun to go on vacation in Sweden if there were people like that there, now my vacation there is mostly just me oggling brunettes as i'm walking through the streets. (Yes, i do prefer brunettes over blondes. Sue me if you must)
My legal counsel has advised me that I would at best only be able to secure a retraction and costs, so I don't think I'll bother suing you just yet :p

Never met any Swedish people yet, but hopefully in the near future I will.
I hear many good things.

Plus they seem to have some cracking authors :)

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Captain-Giggles said:
Ah to be Irish, tis great and all. Lived all my life in Dublin, although I don't drink, so often this conversation arises:
"Oh so you're irish? Well let me buy you a drink!"
"Thanks but I actually don't drink"
"But you said you're irish"
"Yes and?"
"You guys drink, a lot"
I even get this from Irish bartenders, claiming I'm some outcast, still, I love the place and I can't see me leaving it anytime soon.
And for all you part irishers here's a useful phrase to you to impress your friends "Nil aon Ceaprai sa Speir"
*reads Irish phrase*

*guffaws*

Yeah, that's an ancient Irish greeting. All of you not actual citizens should learn that and say it to your grannies.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Feriluce said:
I'm from Copenhagen and I drink like the irish.

Can i be proud too?!
I don't think we count. I can drink like a russian, but that doesn't make me a comrad, does it?

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
Furburt said:
PoliceBox63 said:
I find it odd to be proud of something I was born with, something I had from the start. Similar to a gay person being proud to be gay. It doesn't make sense to me. Yes I love my rich heritage and whatnot but being proud of your nationality just... doesn't quite make sense.
*sciath tine*
As a nationalist, I can sort of say... it's not really something you can explain, it's more something you feel. Like your chest swelling up with pride when you hear about your countries achievements, things like that.
Oh bah I am aswell, I never said I wasn't "proud" of my country! :) It's an overwhelming feeling, there's nothing I can do about it (not implying that I'm unhappy about it. The opposite is true). I was just commenting on the concept. Pride is a word that can't really describe it. That tingling feeling on the last line of the anthem... things like that. :*

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Boba Frag said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Boba Frag said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
How can anyone be proud to be irish after that awful impression you got of irish people from "the Sabouteur"? (Not sure i spelled that right, but who cares) Though, thinking back. If you know anything about the irish you could easily tell that was an awful recreation of an irish man.
I agree, but it wasn't an Irish actor, production crew or as far as I know have a lot of Irish people attached to it...

We can mercilessly rip it to shreds with impunity for the godawful stereotype the game peddles.
If someone goes away thinking that's what all Irish people are like from one video game, then they clearly need their head examined.

It's like assuming everyone from Sweden is perfectly summarised by The Chef from the Muppets.
People shouldn't publish work based on things they don't know. That's like going to an oral exam and spen 15 minutes talking about how much Hitler loved the jews.

As for the Muppet comment. It certainly would make it a lot more fun to go on vacation in Sweden if there were people like that there, now my vacation there is mostly just me oggling brunettes as i'm walking through the streets. (Yes, i do prefer brunettes over blondes. Sue me if you must)
My legal counsel has advised me that I would at best only be able to secure a retraction and costs, so I don't think I'll bother suing you just yet :p

Never met any Swedish people yet, but hopefully in the near future I will.
I hear many good things.

Plus they seem to have some cracking authors :)
They do have some excellent heavy metal bands over there.

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
I am very proud of my ancestors that came from all over Ireland including Cork and Donegal. Also I'd like to say that I sometimes feel sad in the United States because no one can pronounce our sirname. Collum often comes out Column as if I were going to hold up a building. Even when they don't see it written and I just say it... America is a truly ignorant place so don't come here if you don't have to. Though if you are only a mildly attractive man in Ireland you can probably get girls here just for the accent. So weigh your pride against that for what it's worth.