PS Vita Impressions

gunner1905

New member
Jun 18, 2010
223
0
0
neonsword13-ops said:
Evil Teddie said:
DO WANT. I mean seriously, with Atlus remaking titles of the Persona series on PSP and Persona 4: The Golden on PS Vita, you can have nearly all of the Persona series on one console, so why not?

Gonna wait for the price to drop a bit and see if there are any nicely priced bundles. Can't wait.
This. I can't wait for P4 The Golden. The anticipation for a mention of the U.S. release date is killing me.
The second it's available for preorder I'll buy it and a vita
 

SD-Fiend

Member
Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
2,075
0
1
Country
United States
neonsword13-ops said:
Evil Teddie said:
DO WANT. I mean seriously, with Atlus remaking titles of the Persona series on PSP and Persona 4: The Golden on PS Vita, you can have nearly all of the Persona series on one console, so why not?

Gonna wait for the price to drop a bit and see if there are any nicely priced bundles. Can't wait.
This. I can't wait for P4 The Golden. The anticipation for a mention of the U.S. release date is killing me.
it's really the only reason I want the thing...
 

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
629
0
0
I got my Vita (wifi model) on Feb 22nd, and I say the Escapist review is "spot on", it "hit-the-nail-on-the-head". I love the system, a quad core 2ghz Arm r 7 Processor (more powerful than the iPhone and iPad's A4 processor) and twice the system ram of the PS3. It feels more like a mobile console than a mobile handheld.

The Vita has a growing backlog of PSN PSP titles and Minis titles.
Sony announced that PS1 game compatibility will be added after they are done with the PSP Library as the PSP games are their first priority.

I downloaded 2 of the PSP titles I already own as UMDs, they play on the Vita almost like the way they do on the PSP, near perfect PSP emulation. Just the Vita screen a big brighter and crisper, not like how PS2 games appear on the PS3 with a HD TV. Only way for me to tell the difference was to load the same game on both systems and have them side by side.

So far the PS2 ports on PSN are PS3 only. But if Sony (and other publishers) are smart they start porting over more popular PS2 games over to the Vita.

The Vita games I have are Uncharted and Wipeout. Wipeout as what you expect the series to be (awesome), and uncharted slightly suffers from artifacts on shadows, showing that the Vita is close but lacks the full video rendering of its big brother the PS3. My only gripe with Wipeout is Online Pass Activation code (really Sony, really?).
 

Marcus Kehoe

New member
Mar 18, 2011
758
0
0
I loved my psp and will get a vita, but need to see some game's I wanna play first. Give me another metal gear peace walker and I'm sold.

Till then I got my 3ds
 

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
629
0
0
deserteagleeye said:
neonsword13-ops said:
Evil Teddie said:
DO WANT. I mean seriously, with Atlus remaking titles of the Persona series on PSP and Persona 4: The Golden on PS Vita, you can have nearly all of the Persona series on one console, so why not?

Gonna wait for the price to drop a bit and see if there are any nicely priced bundles. Can't wait.
This. I can't wait for P4 The Golden. The anticipation for a mention of the U.S. release date is killing me.
Same here, but I thought that the Vita wasn't backwards compatible. I've heard that you can download PSP games from the PSstore onto it but I've never seen P1 or P2 up for digital download.
I just check to be sure; the Persona series (one though 3) is up for download on PSN

The games are listed as Shin Megami Tensei Persona, so if you are looking under P you will not find it. You have to search the Persona under S. Also good news, the games 1 though 3 are Vita compatible.

I also want to point out to Monster Hunter Fans that the PSP title Moster Hunter Freadom unite is also Vita compatible.
 

deserteagleeye

New member
Sep 8, 2010
1,678
0
0
darksakul said:
deserteagleeye said:
neonsword13-ops said:
Evil Teddie said:
DO WANT. I mean seriously, with Atlus remaking titles of the Persona series on PSP and Persona 4: The Golden on PS Vita, you can have nearly all of the Persona series on one console, so why not?

Gonna wait for the price to drop a bit and see if there are any nicely priced bundles. Can't wait.
This. I can't wait for P4 The Golden. The anticipation for a mention of the U.S. release date is killing me.
Same here, but I thought that the Vita wasn't backwards compatible. I've heard that you can download PSP games from the PSstore onto it but I've never seen P1 or P2 up for digital download.
I just check to be sure; the Persona series (one though 3) is up for download on PSN

The games are listed as Shin Megami Tensei Persona, so if you are looking under P you will not find it. You have to search the Persona under S. Also good news, the games 1 though 3 are Vita compatible.



I also want to point out to Monster Hunter Fans that the PSP title Moster Hunter Freadom unite is also Vita compatible.
You are awesome, thank you.
 

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
629
0
0
deserteagleeye said:
You are awesome, thank you.
Your Welcome. I heard alot of good things about the series, maybe I get around to playing the first game.
 

Steve Butts

New member
Jun 1, 2010
1,003
0
0
I just bought a PSP a few weeks ago, and I love it. Finally my JRPG fix has come in. I have no desire to spend $300 to play another Uncharted game or FIFA. Maybe 5 years from now I'll see some games I want that are Vita exclusive, and buy it for $100, but so far, I have no interest in it.
 

Asuka Soryu

New member
Jun 11, 2010
2,437
0
0
I was really looking forward to this, then they announced the prices of the memory sticks and all that jazz and I lost my interest. If you go for the 3G, that's 300$, then say you choose the biggest memory stick(since you don't want to run out of saving power right off the bat), you then get two games and your pushing 500$ for a portable console, and while it's nice that it's emulating a PS3, I'm trying to see why I'd choose this over a PS3... outside of portability, the PS3 is better, better graphics(slightly), built in memory, hooks up to your TV, it's cheaper, has a larger library and in the long run I find that console games just don't feel right for handhelds, as they seem more better played when you're at home, sitting in a chair, rather then on the move. Really, all the Vita gives me over the PS3 I own is touch screen and six axis, which my 3DS already has.

I just couldn't justify the price, so I decided to spend my money on spoiling my Wii.

I'll probably get a Vita in 2-3 years, when the price levels out and the memory sticks aren't stupidly priced.
 

happy_turtle

New member
Apr 11, 2010
193
0
0
I would contemplate buying this but my mind keeps flashing back to all the times Sony has kicked me in the nuts and asked me to keep giving them money. Memories ranging from their store taking 4 months to replace a faulty TV, to them losing my personal details and trying to cover it up, to them removing Other OS from my PS3 basically because they think I be a pirate, to them having the sheer gall to charge upto £10 for old PS1 games on the PSN.

Now they release a handheld and whack a massive price on the memory sticks and tell us backwards compatibility won't happen. It just feels like Sony haven't learned their lesson, and the only way they will is if I stop putting up with their anti-consumer policies.


EDIT: Almost forgot....#721 of Sony's blunders, releasing a console claiming it had a working browser. When told it doesn't work properly, customer support reply by flat out denying it and telling me I don't know how to browse the internet.....Classic!
 

Griffolion

New member
Aug 18, 2009
2,207
0
0
I had a hands on with the Vita back in September at Eurogamer, and one of my classmates at university has one, so I played with the finished product too. The Vita, in itself, is a fantastic piece of kit. Not without flaws, though, the proprietary storage media is a bit stupid. For games, I can understand the use of such a thing, but for general memory, a Micro SD card slot would have been far better.

The UI is very nicely done, a bit different than what i've been used to on tablets and smartphonts, but it does the job well. Multi-tasking management is quite nice. It's light, all the controls are nicely positioned (though i'm yet to find a decent implementation of the rear trackpad).

However, battery life appears very poor and I've been told by my classmate that an interpretive dancer would be a quicker javascript renderer than the browser included (in short, browsing the internet is abominable).

Still, at the moment, the Vita and the OS is very much a 1.0 piece of kit, Sony will give it some love in updates to come.

PS - Could someone enlighten me to the point of the 3G enabled version? Seems like an extra £50 for little to no extra use....
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Griffolion said:
I had a hands on with the Vita back in September at Eurogamer, and one of my classmates at university has one, so I played with the finished product too. The Vita, in itself, is a fantastic piece of kit. Not without flaws, though, the proprietary storage media is a bit stupid. For games, I can understand the use of such a thing, but for general memory, a Micro SD card slot would have been far better.

The UI is very nicely done, a bit different than what i've been used to on tablets and smartphonts, but it does the job well. Multi-tasking management is quite nice. It's light, all the controls are nicely positioned (though i'm yet to find a decent implementation of the rear trackpad).

However, battery life appears very poor and I've been told by my classmate that an interpretive dancer would be a quicker javascript renderer than the browser included (in short, browsing the internet is abominable).

Still, at the moment, the Vita and the OS is very much a 1.0 piece of kit, Sony will give it some love in updates to come.

PS - Could someone enlighten me to the point of the 3G enabled version? Seems like an extra £50 for little to no extra use....
If you want to access the Internet, but don't have access to a WiFi signal, you'd want 3G. I have 3G on my Kindle, for example, because I use it for traveling and don't want to have to pay for airport or hotel WiFi. 3G's usefulness depends entirely on how you plan to use the device. If you'll pretty much be at home with your WiFi all the time, then 3G wouldn't make a lot of sense.
 

Griffolion

New member
Aug 18, 2009
2,207
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
Griffolion said:
I had a hands on with the Vita back in September at Eurogamer, and one of my classmates at university has one, so I played with the finished product too. The Vita, in itself, is a fantastic piece of kit. Not without flaws, though, the proprietary storage media is a bit stupid. For games, I can understand the use of such a thing, but for general memory, a Micro SD card slot would have been far better.

The UI is very nicely done, a bit different than what i've been used to on tablets and smartphonts, but it does the job well. Multi-tasking management is quite nice. It's light, all the controls are nicely positioned (though i'm yet to find a decent implementation of the rear trackpad).

However, battery life appears very poor and I've been told by my classmate that an interpretive dancer would be a quicker javascript renderer than the browser included (in short, browsing the internet is abominable).

Still, at the moment, the Vita and the OS is very much a 1.0 piece of kit, Sony will give it some love in updates to come.

PS - Could someone enlighten me to the point of the 3G enabled version? Seems like an extra £50 for little to no extra use....
If you want to access the Internet, but don't have access to a WiFi signal, you'd want 3G. I have 3G on my Kindle, for example, because I use it for traveling and don't want to have to pay for airport or hotel WiFi. 3G's usefulness depends entirely on how you plan to use the device. If you'll pretty much be at home with your WiFi all the time, then 3G wouldn't make a lot of sense.
Yeah I understand that, but is there any usefulness outside of that? I have a smartphone which is 3G enabled that can act as a hub for my tablet and any other wireless device. Like, can the Vita's 3G connection be used to play games online etc?
 

Steve Butts

New member
Jun 1, 2010
1,003
0
0
neonsword13-ops said:
Evil Teddie said:
DO WANT. I mean seriously, with Atlus remaking titles of the Persona series on PSP and Persona 4: The Golden on PS Vita, you can have nearly all of the Persona series on one console, so why not?

Gonna wait for the price to drop a bit and see if there are any nicely priced bundles. Can't wait.
This. I can't wait for P4 The Golden. The anticipation for a mention of the U.S. release date is killing me.
Persona 4 (my favorite game) was highly popular and widely successful in and out of japan, an english release is highly probable, and whats better is the Vita will be region lock free! so even if it is not released here in Ireland I can simply import it! I share you're anticipation! If only they port P4 Ultimate in mayonaka arena on then that would be cosmic!
 

Kyr Knightbane

New member
Jan 3, 2012
427
0
0
I absolutely love my Vita. I picked it up on the 22nd and have been playing it since. I picked up Rayman Origins and have been having a blast with it so far. Also pre-ordered and paid off Unit 13 which i am really excited for. I just hope that the U.S. audience gets a chance to play Ragnarok Odyssey. It looks insanely good on the Vita an is a fairly long RPG. I also hope that Sony gets smart and enables PS2 games on the Vita and releases the greatest hits collection. I'd absolutely love to play Gran Turismo 3 on my Vita. Plus Call of Duty has been announced for an Autumn release date. I really hope its Black Ops, and that they allow PS Vita and Ps3 multiplayer cross-console. That would be sick.
 

Jegsimmons

New member
Nov 14, 2010
1,748
0
0
Placeing bets here!
Will this be be handheld to topple nintendos monopoly on the market?
Or
Will this be like the PSP and everyone will hate it for haveing half finishes games on a low memory stick with poor controls and a shitty screen and ultimately be hated within a few months?!
 

dimensional

New member
Jun 13, 2011
1,274
0
0
Im interested in it but not enough to buy it yet I still have my DS and PSP for playing games on the move (usually only used when I am going to be away from home for long periods) so buying the vita does not make a lot of sense to me atm.

That being said it already has a few games announced/released I am interested in such as gravity daze/rush, P4 golden and Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend if they reduce the price I will probably end up getting one.
 

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
7,920
0
0
For me, I Vita looks like the best handheld without a doubt. But its just too expensive to buy right now, It will make an exellent purchase closer to Christmas, plus there will be a huge library of games by then!

Woot.
 

Lev The Red

New member
Aug 5, 2011
454
0
0
i don't see me liking the rear-touch thing. it's cool technology but, from what i've seen, it hasn't really been implemented well in any games (besides fifa, which i don't care about). as far as i'm concerned it's just an excuse for them to rise the price.

i'll buy it eventually, but not before more games that i actually care about come out. 6 months to a year.

oh, and proprietary memory cards are bullshit.
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,760
0
0
Seems like a positive enough piece of technology. Just not enough for me to be an early adopter. With rumours of a new Pokémon, possibly for 3DS, I think I'll hold out for that for the time being.