PS1 - PSX RPG's worth playing?

Mugen

Dec 14, 2011
Im currently tossing up whether or not to play Final Fantasy VII-VIII for the umpteenth time, but i figure i should branch out a bit. I did play Xenogears quite recently, and the first Suikoden.

Any one have any suggestion/recommendations for an awesome PS1 RPG?

saviorindeath

Jun 28, 2010
If you can find it I would recomend ledgens of dragoons. One of the best rpgs for the system imo

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Another one with a brand new PSP, mmmmh?

I'm replaying FF9 right now, but I'd say Chrono Cross is a premium RPG from that era. It's quite colourful, has tons of characters and very good music. Also, check out the dynamic battle system, it's a JRPG but it almost feels likes an action-RPG because the combat is so fluid, fast and involving.

targren

May 13, 2009
The PSX was the holy grail of JRPGs (it would have been the Dreamcast if Sega hadn't flubbed it so badly, but them's the breaks)

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
Suikoden II
Legend of Dragoon
Grandia
Wild Arms
Alundra (more Zelda-ish than RPG)
Jade Cocoon
Final Fantasy IX

For strategy RPGs if you like them:
Final Fantasy Tactics (the original. Nothing like the crappy ones on GBA/DS)
Arc The Lad series

There's more but that should start you off.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
Try checking out Koudelka. It's amazing, but very hard to find. It's a turn-based fantasy RPG, but like I said, it's very good. The story's interesting, and the characters are great.

KrossBillNye

Jan 25, 2010
zombieshark6666 said:
Another one with a brand new PSP, mmmmh?

I'm replaying FF9 right now, but I'd say Chrono Cross is a premium RPG from that era. It's quite colourful, has tons of characters and very good music. Also, check out the dynamic battle system, it's a JRPG but it almost feels likes an action-RPG because the combat is so fluid, fast and involving.
On the same note I highly suggest Chrono Cross as well.

I just started playing it recently on my new PS3. :D

Manawa

May 13, 2009
I second the vote on Chrono Cross from zombieshark6666. Best OST I've ever heard in video game + multi threaded plotline, very philosophical at times. Unique fight system without MP's and grinding. Honestly, how many jRPG does not make you grind? It's worth the praise just for that:)
You can get classical Final Fantasies I-VI (from NES&SNES) on PSX as well as Chrono Trigger. I'm just throwing it out there in case you were interested (but still, CT is awesome).
Also as mentioned before - FFIX is arguably best FF of the series (at least IMO) - it returned to "Fantasy" setting, was funny and serious when he needed.
As for FF Tactics - better get one on PSP - it's much easier. I got lost in plot after few hours of LVL grind that game made me to do between each boss battle. Pretty nuts when you realize that this game story is not so easy to follow (complicated politics with ALOT of characters).

targren - TY, saved dat list 4 later :D

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
You my friend have already played The awesome rpg and this is Final Fantasy VII. :) Other than that, I recommend you two other Square Soft gems: Parasite Eve II and Vagrand Story.

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
Legend of Legaia gets my vote (as far as stuff not mentioned yet), as does Wild Arms 2.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Legend of the Dragoon
Lunar 1
Lunar 2
Parasite Eve 1
Koudelka (if you can get a hold of it)
Valkyrie Profile
and
XenoGears

:) since you asked an all

TheOneMavado

Jul 3, 2011
Alundra
Breath of Fire III-IV
Chrono Cross
Dragon Warrior VII
Final Fantasy I-II, IV-IX, Tactics
Grandia
Parasite Eve
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Suikoden I-II
The Legend of Dragoon
Wild ARMs 1-2
Xenogears

There's more of course...

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I always really enjoyed Tales of Destiny II for it's engaging real time combat system (I think it's called tales of eternia in places that aren't north america).

I also really liked FFIX for the old fashioned turn based adventure.

Jade Cocoon had a really neat monster breeding system going on for it on top of the RPGness.

It was never the best game, but I also had fun with the original Digimon for PSX, as well as Monster rancher, although those both branch out a ways from RPG (monster rancher is more removed than digimon though).

RichardThompson

Aug 25, 2010
I enjoyed Legend of Legaia, but when I realised that I'd gone all the way through the game and never picked up that staple of the JRPG, the point card, right at the beginning, and couldnt beat the final boss as a result, I was greatly dissapointed.
My verdict: Give it a shot but find out where the point card is.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
Parasite Eve, definedly! Sadly, my PS1 has died, so I cannot play it anymore... :(

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
If you don't mind slight branching out and getting a Zelda inspired, Japanese, Manga style action RPG, then I recomend the Adventures of Alundra. Its a great game, with great characters, awsome plot and twists, a good challenge, some great puzzles and to top it all off some brilliant art! Definately worth a look! I'm a JRPG fan too, but I have spent countless hours on Alundra, in multiple play throughs, because I enjoyed it so much!

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
The is a significant lack of Brave Fencer Musashi in this thread.

Which means Brave Fencer Musashi.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Mugen said:
Im currently tossing up whether or not to play Final Fantasy VII-VIII for the umpteenth time, but i figure i should branch out a bit. I did play Xenogears quite recently, and the first Suikoden.

Any one have any suggestion/recommendations for an awesome PS1 RPG?
Any reason in particular why you didn't play FF IX?

I'd say give Vagrant Story a try. It's a welcome change in both story and gameplay.