PS1 - PSX RPG's worth playing?

satanslawer123

Aug 6, 2009
grandia is a big yes its a truly great game jade cocoon is a great game to along with pretty much all final fantasy games released on the ps1, yes i know most people will probably want to bash my chops in for saying every final fantasy game but they are all worth a play

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Allow me to add another vote to the Final Fantasy IX pile. It's a well made RPG with a wonderful world and incredible storyline.

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
Rheinmetall said:
You my friend have already played The awesome rpg and this is Final Fantasy VII. :) Other than that, I recommend you two other Square Soft gems: Parasite Eve II and Vagrand Story.
While it's a bit of a stretch to call PEII and RPG, I definitely second Parasite Eve II because it's so damn awesome.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Samus Aran but a man said:
Chrono Cross is a beautiful game.
its been a long time since i played chrono trigger and i remember pretty much nothing about it. should i replay that game before playing chrono cross?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
Allow me to add another vote to the Final Fantasy IX pile. It's a well made RPG with a wonderful world and incredible storyline.
i was never able to really get in to final fantasy 9. i got as far as the final disk and then just stopped playing because i didnt find myself caring about the story or the characters. i figured if i wasnt into the game by then, i never would be

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Most of my suggestions have been mentioned several times over so I shan't repeat.

I will however recommend Vagrant Story.

It's not an easy game and some of the more complex mechanics are a bit poorly explained.
But it's still one of my favorite RPG stories of the PSX era and it goes a long way towards forgiving some of the more obvious flaws in the game.

Windblade722

May 25, 2011
Chrono Cross is a good game but it has far too many playable characters for my taste. Also, I refuse to believe it is connected to chrono trigger. Lets just kill off the people that just saved the world!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I would like to add "Legend of Mana" to that list, but the English localization is VERY VERY RARE, so you may have trouble finding it.

It is a game that is genuinely one-of-a-kind. It's like a "Storybook-RPG". The music is incredible, and the graphics are just damn beautiful.

And the gameplay is fairly solid, albeit, too easy most of the time.

thestickman88

May 19, 2010
castlevainia symphony of the night. Not exactly an RPG but it has RPG elements and is a spectacular game

Killspre

Aug 8, 2011
Legend of Mana my personal favorite PS1 game. Not many games let you make your own robot. It is fairly expensive but if you got a PS3 you can buy it for like 6 bucks.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Windblade722 said:
Chrono Cross is a good game but it has far too many playable characters for my taste. Also, I refuse to believe it is connected to chrono trigger. Lets just kill off the people that just saved the world!
To me it felt like halfway through the development of Chrono Cross they decided to add it to the continuity of Chrono Trigger. Also 40 playable character is overkill, I dont remember any of the names besides Serge and Lynx (nice name choice SE).

Also fuck that last boss, having to cast all the elements in order while the boss can just reset it. Music was nice though.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
00slash00 said:
Samus Aran but a man said:
Chrono Cross is a beautiful game.
its been a long time since i played chrono trigger and i remember pretty much nothing about it. should i replay that game before playing chrono cross?
I had not played Trigger when I bought C Cross at release. When I did play Trigger, I didn't like it as much and I didn't see the connection at all. Even the time travelling doesn't feel the same. I know it's been a few years and all, but still, Chrono Cross is totally fine on its own, especially with all these characters and original situations. I wouldn't worry about it.

Damn, now I have to dash through FF9 to get to that one again. Damn you all! :D

Slvrwolfen

Sep 10, 2008
Well damn, all of the great big ones have already been named..

So I'll only answer the thread's topic. HELL YES. Simple as that. HELL YES.

omglazorspewpew

Nov 14, 2011
I will definitely add a +1 to the Parasite Eve games and Vagrant Story. Both fantastic RPGS.

I also sunk countless hours into Star Ocean: The 2nd Story. Tons of replay-ability in branching story paths and multiple endings and characters.

I don't know how well the game holds up now but I remember also being very enamored with a Strategy RPG named Kartia. I don't remember much of it now since I think I just rented it a handful of times but I would go back to it if I ever saw it again

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
Jonsbax said:
Rheinmetall said:
You my friend have already played The awesome rpg and this is Final Fantasy VII. :) Other than that, I recommend you two other Square Soft gems: Parasite Eve II and Vagrand Story.
While it's a bit of a stretch to call PEII and RPG, I definitely second Parasite Eve II because it's so damn awesome.
Indeed Parasite Eve II is essentially Resident Evil 3 with HP, MP and XP points. However in my mind the SquareSoft logo on the coverbox is enough to automatically make any game rpg. :)

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
My top nominations would be Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, and Chrono Cross.

GlenTheFox

Feb 2, 2010
Final Fantasy Tactics is a wonderful game! Broke the timer a few times on it myself. Vandal Hearts is another fun one, as is Parasite Eve. Of course there's other great ones out there too, just gotta give them a try.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Personally, I strongly recommend the following:

GRANDIA
My all-time favorite game, hands down, and somewhat of an underrated gem. It has the general atmosphere of a bright and colorful cartoon, while still retaining that epic feel you expect from an RPG. Not to mention, protagonist Justin is cheerful and optimistic! (Yeah, I really hate the moody, emo ball-o-wangst type protagonist you get in so many games these days. I got fed up with those after an hour of Final Fantasy VIII!) Also, Grandia's battle system is widely regarded as a VERY welcome break from the static, turn-based system used in Final Fantasy games of the time.

FINAL FANTASY IX
The Final Fantasy series started out as medieval-style fantasy, gradually evolving into science-fiction as each game would feature a slightly more futuristic world than the last. FF IX was made as a one-off throwback to the series' roots, providing a refreshing return to the green forests and ancient castles of the first few games - only with VASTLY improved graphics! (Yeah, you've probably played this one already, but no list of my personal favorites is complete without it!)

LEGEND OF DRAGOON
Three and a half years in the making, this game provides a fast-paced, intricate story and an eventful journey through an ENORMOUS and richly varied world. (I knew this game was epic as soon as I opened the box. Not only did it come on four discs, like Final Fantasy games of the day - it also had a two-volume manual!) LoD has been accused of borrowing quite heavily from other games, and while this is undoubtedly true, it must be said that it does an excellent job of bringing all the elements together and creating a genuinely unique gameplay experience!

MEGA MAN LEGENDS 1 & 2
OK, so it looks like we won't be seeing the conclusive part of the trilogy any time soon (F**k you too, Capcom), but if you're in the mood for a bit of light-hearted adventuring, you can't go wrong with the first two games. Special mention goes to the recurring villains: The Bonne siblings, a trio of ruthless (but comical) air pirates who have never been bested in battle - until Mega Man shows up... If you ever laughed at Team Rocket, you'll love these guys! They even got their own spin-off game, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne!

Mugen

Dec 14, 2011
Manji187 said:
Mugen said:
Im currently tossing up whether or not to play Final Fantasy VII-VIII for the umpteenth time, but i figure i should branch out a bit. I did play Xenogears quite recently, and the first Suikoden.

Any one have any suggestion/recommendations for an awesome PS1 RPG?
Any reason in particular why you didn't play FF IX?

I'd say give Vagrant Story a try. It's a welcome change in both story and gameplay.
hmmm, at the risk of having this thread turn ugly.....i thought it was kind of lame.

childish, silly characters are what ruined it for me. got to the 3rd disk, but had long since stopped caring. i just cant understand why they reverted to this kind of baby world after the overwhelming success they had in the steam punk, darker worlds of 6,7, and 8......probably to mix it up. i also blame 9 for the rash of weak, feminine lead characters that where to follow.

but thank-you for the suggestion. Vagrant story sounds interesting (you know, like it wasn't made for children :) and im going to have a bit of a scout for chrono cross today.