PS3 Pirates Counter Sony's Anti-Piracy Counter-Update

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SaturdayS said:
There's no games on mars. I'd stick with piracy.
What a stupid statement.

If we got to Mars, we'd need computers everywhere. Where there are computers, there are games.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
John Funk said:
Heart of Darkness said:
It's a vicious circle. An exercise in futility that only shows that this method of DRM isn't working. Stop investing in this failed scheme and get to work on something better, Sony, if you don't want people hacking your system.
Actually, I'd say that a method of DRM that went unhacked for a good five years did a pretty good job, wouldn't you?

Put another way: A determined thief can break pretty much any lock you have on your apartment/house/whatever, just as a determined pirate can crack any DRM. But you wouldn't say that locks and home security are pointless, would you? They stop someone from just idly wandering in and walking out with your stuff. Similarly, DRM may not stop a determined pirate, but it probably does its job in dissuading some people who think "eh, cracking it is too complicated."

So no, I'd think that for this, it actually does its job pretty well.
When I was younger, I remember seeing a couple of places rate locks in terms of time it takes to break in. The idea was that any lock could be broken into, but those which took more than 60 seconds (I think) were the safest because of the time constraints of breaking in without being detected.

Just came to mind. there's certainly an argument for the deterrent effect.

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
This was as inevitable as both the zombie apocalypse and the robot uprising.

The only question I have is which will come first.

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
If these determined pirates would only put their attention to other things, we'd probably be on Mars by now.
I find that ludicrous.

Imagine what would Windows 7, software in general, even hardware, if it weren't for those pirates exposing security leaks, forcing manufacturers and software companies to code PROPERLY! To think outside the box.

Now, imagine if humanity hadn't had those tinkerers and side-thinking individuals that, throughout history, going far back when saber-tooth tigers roamed the land, decided that it wasn't worth it. That it was just a feeble attempt, not worth the issue or work, that it just was good the way it is. Yeah. Maybe we'd be out of our trees by now.

The fact is, even if I don't agree with the way they do things, they do things. That's what matters. They have a passion to "break" those barriers and in some sort of way, we should be grateful to them for forcing those people to come up with new way of protecting their investments. Now, I agree that some came up with some pretty bad ideas (look at Ubiscrap), but the fact remains that if it weren't for those pirates we'd be gouged even more and mark my words, things will only get "better".

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Loonerinoes said:
Prof. Monkeypox said:
The pirates obviously have some good programmers on their side. If those guys actually used their skills for something good (as Mr. Funk noted) they'd be sure to make tons of money. Enough that they could afford to pay for the games, and wouldn't need to pirate them in the first place (hell, they could buy copies for all their friends too). I'm genuinely starting to think people like this just get their jollies from pissing off electronics companies.
*Shepard Renegade voice* You assume everyone on this planet wants to get rich and have money. That's cute.
If only I got that reference...
kidding.
Anyway, there's hobby tinkering, and then there's helping pirates. I don't agree with the latter.

Assuming paragon voice: "Some relevant Com. Shepard quote."

galaxygamer

May 23, 2008
[em]Honestly, this comes as little surprise - it's part of the ongoing war against piracy (or, if you're on the other side, the war against copyright law).[/em]

Or rather: One other side to this argument: How about being on the side of "just wanting to make my PS3 more functional for me?" You know, that system has upgradeable memory, and Sony is telling me I don't have the right to use the system [em]like a computer[/em] and simply copy my PS3 games to the system? Instead, I have to swap games continually. The reason I haven't added any variety to my game-play is because I have to swap disks and wait for the system to load them...slowly. I know that is a minor gripe, but that system is a really advanced *computer*, so shouldn't I be able to use it like one? Hell, Netflix opted-out of swapping in the Netflix DVD when you want to watch streaming content through the PS3 because [em]it was more efficient[/em]. Why can't Sony allow its loyal users to simply copy games to the system?

[em]Given that the release of FW 3.50 was rumored to be one of the reasons behind the eleventh-hour delay of Gran Turismo 5, it's entirely possible that an emergency firmware update might crash the racer's impending release date into a wall. Which, given how often that game has been delayed thus far, would just be part for the course, really.[/em]
AND
[em]If these determined pirates would only put their attention to other things, we'd probably be on Mars by now.[/em]

There is a two-pronged solution to this rat-race: Sony should instead focus on making a better first-party games, and start telling third-party game makers to make better games, too. Sony should also allow people to copy games to the hard drive. Seriously. Computers have been able to do that for decades now. If Sony did this, there would be less reason for people to "pirate games" by copying them to the system. Sony would have less to worry about if they tried a hands-off approach to how they treated its own loyal customers. In turn, they wouldn't risk releasing a "patch" (DRM software) that would ruin the functionality of a random assortment of games.

Come on Sony (And MicroSoft and Nintendo), there will always been pirates. There always will be pirates. If you all actually made stable, reliable systems (which you three do), offered quick firmware updates that were not focused on DRM, and made better games, you all will pretty much reduce piracy.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Heart of Darkness said:
John Funk said:
Heart of Darkness said:
It's a vicious circle. An exercise in futility that only shows that this method of DRM isn't working. Stop investing in this failed scheme and get to work on something better, Sony, if you don't want people hacking your system.
Actually, I'd say that a method of DRM that went unhacked for a good five years did a pretty good job, wouldn't you?

Put another way: A determined thief can break pretty much any lock you have on your apartment/house/whatever, just as a determined pirate can crack any DRM. But you wouldn't say that locks and home security are pointless, would you? They stop someone from just idly wandering in and walking out with your stuff. Similarly, DRM may not stop a determined pirate, but it probably does its job in dissuading some people who think "eh, cracking it is too complicated."

So no, I'd think that for this, it actually does its job pretty well.
Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that DRM's useless. If the DRM on the PS3 served it's purpose for five years, then that's fantastic--it means we're slowly moving towards the ideal goal of unhackable software/firmware. I'm just saying that Sony's probably going to be better off accepting the fact that the PS3 has been hacked and putting that knowledge to use when they craft the DRM for the PS4 or the next PSP.

To extend your analogy, a lock on a house that works for five years might have served its job admirably, but you're not going to keep using it once someone breaks it. Sure, you can fix it, but unless you start replacing parts, it's going to be structurally weaker than it what it was before it broke. Sony's response to the hacks seems to just be slapping duct tape on the lock and hoping that that's enough to stop people from breaking into their home.

It did it's job well, but now it's finished. It's been hacked. Unless the programming behind the DRM is completely rewritten, the pirates are just going to keep finding their way in.
Ah, fair enough. I see your point now.

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
First off, let me clear that Pirates Rule. They are those brilliant guys and gals, who can show anyone the old saying "No system is safe" (hackers, C&C: Generals). I particularly remember when Prince of Persia: Sands of time came out with their awesome-uncrackable Starforce protection. It got cracked. In 8 minutes. So let me see, millions of dollars waisted, game released, awesome protection and some guy sits down and finds a way through it in 480seconds the time it takes to make hardboiled eggs. Whats the lesson? Don't try to defend it next time. Though almost never learned so now we have this exercise in Stupidity. Companies make new protections that get immediately cracked. I ask you, if there was NO protection, would you pirate the game instead of buying it? For me the answer is obvious, when you appreciate something, you pay for it. So instead the money for anti-piracy could be invested in better writing, dialog, online support or whatever. If you say that you only pay for games, because you can't pirate them, thats sad.

Case and point Unreal Tournament 3. Protection: none; A simple CD key allows you to play online, thats it. World of Warcraft doesn't even have a CD key, requires just an active account to play. I'm sure that both Epic Games and Blizzard make tons of money and waste none on protections, that someone can break while making breakfast.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I think the best thing to do, is that game companies should get in on a ruse of sorts. Over the next couple of years, game companies should take a dive, then announce piracy made their games unprofitable, then come back later. Hopefully, in the course of things it would provoke some good old vigilante justice. To be honest, I just think piracy would best be stopped with harsher punishments for people who pirate games.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
I do not understand why people pirate games? Yes, free, but if these people are smart enough to come up with these ways, they should be smart enough to realise that if all starts pirating developers will stop making innovating games and just play it veeeery safe. Yes, it could get even worse than now... You really want that? Pirates are the lowest form of life IMO.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
binnsyboy said:
I think the best thing to do, is that game companies should get in on a ruse of sorts. Over the next couple of years, game companies should take a dive, then announce piracy made their games unprofitable, then come back later. Hopefully, in the course of things it would provoke some good old vigilante justice. To be honest, I just think piracy would best be stopped with harsher punishments for people who pirate games.
Developers should put bounties on the worst pirates, not only would it be legal to hunt them down, but you'd get paid so you can BUY MORE GAMES! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
N.1 Ninja Of 2010 said:
10, 9, 8, 7, 6...

Come on, Sony!

Get back up, you can't throw in the towel this late in the fight!
I think you are confused. They count from 1 to 10 in boxing.

Koganesaga

Feb 11, 2010
It's just impressive how far people will go to not give the companies the money they deserve (in most cases). These people have brilliant minds, but they should be killed before some extreme evil power sees their potential and puts them to use in developing a black hole generator.