PS3 Pirates Counter Sony's Anti-Piracy Counter-Update

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
"Sure, the boys in Ryan's lab can make it hack-proof. But that don't mean we ain't gonna hack it."

Oh Bioshock you summed up their feelings so easily, anyway can't be that hard to hack things all you do is press a bunch of lighted up buttons or rub some omni gel on it.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Question: Why can't they just develop a hardware/software or whatever that will completely shut down the console when any modification is done to the system without the proper authentication from sony? Maybe that's what they're doing, but it seems like that would be pretty difficult if not impossible to avoid, especially if sony kept records of all authorized changes and checked the console for anything that didn't match the database when you went online. I'm no programmer, but it seems like that would work. Anyone here know if that's what they are doing, or if it wouldn't work for some reason?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
SO you mean the pirates aren't giving up? Who would have thought that.
Neither side will ever give up so its a matter of back and forth with technology. So long as you have it, someone wants it.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
spartan231490 said:
Question: Why can't they just develop a hardware/software or whatever that will completely shut down the console when any modification is done to the system without the proper authentication from sony? Maybe that's what they're doing, but it seems like that would be pretty difficult if not impossible to avoid, especially if sony kept records of all authorized changes and checked the console for anything that didn't match the database when you went online. I'm no programmer, but it seems like that would work. Anyone here know if that's what they are doing, or if it wouldn't work for some reason?
It wouldnt work because pirates would undoubtedly find a way to hack it out, no DRM has ever succeeded.

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
xhable said:
These guys aren't trying to copy games for theft or personal gain, they are trying to subvert the system so that they can share games with their friends. The game companies business model is at fault if it relies upon people not sharing the commodity.
I hope you know how dumb you sound. Literally the only way to make what you said true is if the pirates subverted the system and then immediately deleted whatever they downloaded. Otherwise it is automatically for theft or personal gain. Either they distribute it out illegally to others, which is theft, or they keep it for themselves which is both theft AND personal gain. How dare the game companies try to sell their wares rather than let people obtain them for free. Damn their profit oriented business model! They should be a charity where thousands of people put in millions of hours of work to create a video game and then distribute it for free! Get started on that and let me know how it goes.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
John Funk said:
PS3 Pirates Counter Sony's Anti-Piracy Counter-Update

Sony's PS3 firmware update to foil the infamous PS Jailbreak has been itself foiled.

Back in September, Sony updated the PS3 firmware to version 3.42 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103273-New-PS3-Update-Kills-Jailbreak] in order to kill the functionality of PS Jailbreak, a USB mod tool that allowed users to play illegally copied games from the PS3's hard drive. It continued with version 3.50, which hit along with EA's Medal of Honor.

This wasn't enough to deter a determined pirate, however. According to Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/ps-jailbreak-gets-support-for-ps3-versions-3-42-and-3-5-is-no-f/], the makers of PS Jailbreak have updated the device to function with firmware versions 3.42, 3.50, "and beyond."

Honestly, this comes as little surprise - it's part of the ongoing war against piracy (or, if you're on the other side, the war against copyright law). One group develops a counter for the other's technology that works until the second group unleashes its counter-counter, rinse and repeat. Sony is undoubtedly going to release a new firmware update that stymies the PS Jailbreak yet again, until PS Jailbreak cracks that one, too.

Given that the release of FW 3.50 was rumored to be one of the reasons behind the impending release date [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104344-Gran-Turismo-5s-Concrete-Release-Date-Smashed] into a wall. Which, given how often that game has been delayed thus far, would just be part for the course, really.

If these determined pirates would only put their attention to other things, we'd probably be on Mars by now.

Update: Also according to Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/ps-jailbreak-gets-support-for-ps3-versions-3-42-and-3-5-is-no-f/], this will not actually function with games that require FW 3.42 and 3.50 - rather, it forces the PS3 down to the hackable FW 3.40. This only allows pirates to play older games, not the new ones that mandate the latest firmware.

So really, this isn't as much of a setback for Sony as it could have been - for now.

(Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/ps-jailbreak-gets-support-for-ps3-versions-3-42-and-3-5-is-no-f/])

So in other words nothing has changed and jailbreakers can play older games but not newer ones just like before? Is it just me or is everyone making a big fuss out of pretty much nothing?

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Laxman9292 said:
xhable said:
These guys aren't trying to copy games for theft or personal gain, they are trying to subvert the system so that they can share games with their friends. The game companies business model is at fault if it relies upon people not sharing the commodity.
I hope you know how dumb you sound. Literally the only way to make what you said true is if the pirates subverted the system and then immediately deleted whatever they downloaded. Otherwise it is automatically for theft or personal gain. Either they distribute it out illegally to others, which is theft, or they keep it for themselves which is both theft AND personal gain. How dare the game companies try to sell their wares rather than let people obtain them for free. Damn their profit oriented business model! They should be a charity where thousands of people put in millions of hours of work to create a video game and then distribute it for free! Get started on that and let me know how it goes.
Actually their is little to say the break is for the purposes of piracy it's more the case that the ability to run unsigned code for homebrew software also allows copied games to run.

The lockdown is what forces developers to pay the royalties and devkits required for PS3 development, Sony is far more concerned with not getting into a situation like nintendo had in the cartridges days of the snes where anyone in a place like china could develop thier own titles for the system with no money going to the platform owner.

DRM of this nature is the same as nintendos "seal of quality" a paper version to denote that the cartridge was an authentic licenced product, because connecting copper tabs were not protectable in those days

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
blakfayt said:
PeePantz said:
John Funk said:
Back in September, Sony updated the PS3 firmware to version 3.42 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103273-New-PS3-Update-Kills-Jailbreak] in order to kill the functionality of PS Jailbreak, a USB mod tool that allowed users to play illegally copied games from the PS3's hard drive. It continued with version 3.50, which hit along with EA's Medal of Honor.
I'm not sure why Medal of Honor was mentioned. Very unnecessary. If it was for a time reference, the date or even late October would suffice.
The update was on the Medal of Honor disk, any pirate who put the disk in was forced to upgrade of not play MoH, thats why it was mentioned.
Ahhh, I see. Thank you. It really confused me and oddly was (very slightly) eating away at me.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
And soon Sony becomes a company that does nothing more than release firmware updates to stop PS Jailbreak and "Classics HD" collections. Well it was nice knowing you when you weren't acting like some crazy old lady with 50 cats, Sony.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
the article reads like the Pirates are losing. That is news to me! Go Sony. :p

So they figured out how to de-patch a PS3 but still havent figured out how to get 3.42+ to work. Interesting development indeed.
I agree.

It seems to me that the pirates can't actually beat anything beyond firmware 3.41. Instead they are simply providing a means to avoid 3.42 and 3.5. But since anyone could already do that by simply not upgrading then there would seem to be little point to this downgrade. They by all accounts actually haven't beaten 3.42 and 3.5 and the fact that they seem to be claiming otherwise seems to be little more than an arrogant ploy to save face and scam more money out of people.

tofucyborg

Nov 4, 2010
It blows my mind that not everybody is screaming out: "modifying my own hardware shouldn't be piracy"

it should only void the warranty.

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
Misho- said:
SaturdayS said:
There's no games on mars. I'd stick with piracy.
Not yet... Thanks to pirates...
I get they're doing the wrong thing, but blaming pirates because there are no games on Mars is going a little far...

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Good gravy, I hate pirates. I hate their stupid excuses and I hate how they make things harder for those of us who just want to buy our games and play them. Now I damn well know Sony will respond, we'll have to waste a crapload more time downloading the NEXT stupid security patch, might even lose a feature... and for what, so Bobby McDumbAss can play World of Goo on his PS3, or download an illegal copy of Haze? Get over yourselves, you self-righteous tossers, and go back to the PC. You were making such great progress ruining that as a gaming platform, don't give up the war till you win it!