PS3 Processor Powers New Glasses-Free 3D Televisions

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PS3 Processor Powers New Glasses-Free 3D Televisions

Toshiba's new glasses-free 3D televisions have the same electronic brain as the PlayStation 3.

Toshiba unveiled its anticipated line of glasses-free 3D televisions today, and also revealed the basic method through which they work. Using the Cell processor, the same CPU found in the PlayStation 3 [http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-160-GB/dp/B003VUO6H4/ref=dp_ob_title_vg], the new television sets are able to get rid of the 3D revolution's glasses barrier and provide a 3D experience more similar to how the average consumer currently watches television.

The new LCD televisions are said to use a special filter sheet placed over their high-definition screens and contain an internal Cell processor that outputs information from nine images created in real time for every single frame of whatever is being displayed. The filter angles these images to ideally shoot a different signal to the right and left eyes of a viewer, similar to how the Nintendo 3DS works. This technology isn't quite perfect yet, with viewers testing the new TVs noting that the display got blurry when viewed from side angles, but Toshiba admits that it's best viewed within a 40-degree zone and from a certain distance. Toshiba's new products are still better than previous glasses-free technology that required viewers to sit in a single spot.

Toshiba president Masaaki Oosumi even says that the glasses-free TVs can convert 2D into 3D, and calls the new line "dream" TVs. The company will initially sell a 12-inch model for ¥120,000 ($1,440) and a 20-inch model for ¥240,000 ($2,880) and they're both planned for release in December. However, Toshiba will only be selling the glasses-free TVs in Japan for now, with no announced plans to bring them to Europe or North America. Oosumi did say that the technology would have to be brought to larger televisions to succeed in overseas markets, with a 56-inch prototype also on display.

Toshiba hopes to sell 1,000 units of the pricey 3DTVs per month for now. The technology sounds awesome, but priced at somewhere around 10 times the cost of a normal HDTV, I'm sure they'll face a battle making their way into people's homes until the price comes down. Not that that's anything new in the world of electronics.

Source: NY Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/technology/05toshiba.html]

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Thats nice and all but for those prices. I think I'll pass when these start shipping over here.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
What a piece of crap. 3D or not, $1440 for a 12-inch TV is bullshit. And it's ugly to boot, what the hell is that huge blank space under the screen?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Figures.

That's a pretty impressive accomplishment

Still waiting on SeeReal's holographic tech though.

Then again, if this system needs a cell processor to do the calculations, I can see why SeeReal's systems are still prototypes;

When you need 3 gigaflops just to calculate a black and white image... Well, it'll take a while for that to become mainstream, I think. XD.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Well, it's a step in the right direction, at least. Hopefully enough of these sell to warrant further investment of research funds into the technology.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
KSarty said:
What a piece of crap. 3D or not, $1440 for a 12-inch TV is bullshit.
Its normal actually, the first ever flat panel TV's in the mid 90's were 10 to 12 inch and ridiculously priced (something like 1200 dollars), they were just tech demos essentially sold for the gadget junkie which would later fund the bigger better TV's, same with HDTV's, a couple of years ago they were about 5000's dollars for a 26 inch plasma.

Partly to do with market demand bringing the cost down over time, but its normal for "new tech" to be stupidly priced.

KSarty said:
And it's ugly to boot, what the hell is that huge blank space under the screen?
Thats probably to house the PS3, have you seen the size of those things?.

Apr 28, 2008
Dexiro said:
Is that what the new 3D TV's look like? Lawl.
I thought the same thing.

I think I'll stick with my $80 20 inch SDTV for now. Plus it has HD inputs so I can play games in 480p. So the text isn't unreadable for me :D

My TV is awesome.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Pffft. Seriously? Already? Gee, electronics folks sure have been hustling to advance 3D tech over the last year.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
ColdStorage said:
KSarty said:
Its normal actually, the first ever flat panel TV's in the mid 90's were 10 to 12 inch and ridiculously priced (something like 1200 dollars), they were just tech demos essentially sold for the gadget junkie which would later fund the bigger better TV's, same with HDTV's, a couple of years ago they were about 5000's dollars for a 26 inch plasma.

Partly to do with market demand bringing the cost down over time, but its normal for "new tech" to be stupidly priced.
I understand that, but it is as you said "stupidly priced", as in people would have to be stupid to bother paying for that. Even if I did have any interest in 3D tech, would I seriously consider replacing my 48" HDTV for a 12" 3DTV? No, regardless of the price that would be stupid, the price tag just makes it worse.

ColdStorage said:
KSarty said:
And it's ugly to boot, what the hell is that huge blank space under the screen?
Thats probably to house the PS3, have you seen the size of those things?.
But there isn't a PS3 in there, only the Cell processor. Unless you were joking.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Wow that looks.... awful. Are they just selling the early protoypes? This is the perfect illustration of just how far 3D tech has to go before it's even remotely as conveniant as it's non 3d counterparts. The glasses are unacceptable and non glasses tech is... well it still looks like this.
Avatar would beg to differ on the glasses thing. While not ideal unaccpetable is clearly not how alot feel.

Anybody who buys a TV for the look of the TV itself is a fool anyway.

And its not so long ago that an SD LCD TV went for those kinds of prices, and had appaling pictures compared to CRTs.

The viewing angle is the biggest problem with this tech, give it a year or two and the priceses will become more reasonable. LEDs have halved in a year.

My advice to you is wait for the early adopters to pay for the kinks to be worked out then reap the benifits.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I'm starting to get really sick of this 3D fad. I have never seen a movie that was better in 3D the 2D in fact most of the time the films are better in 2D.

I'm only planing on getting a 3DS because of the games that are being made for it and I will most likely be playing them with the 3D effect off.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
KSarty said:
ColdStorage said:
KSarty said:

I understand that, but it is as you said "stupidly priced", as in people would have to be stupid to bother paying for that. Even if I did have any interest in 3D tech, would I seriously consider replacing my 48" HDTV for a 12" 3DTV? No, regardless of the price that would be stupid, the price tag just makes it worse.
I agree, but it's not intended to be a replacement of standard TVs by any means. Only gadget techophiles who want to show off to their friends will buy it; the article itself says that Toshiba is only expecting to sell about 1000. Those that do buy it will probably regard it as an expensive toy rather than an actual part of their daily lives. Toshiba's only selling it now only because people will buy it and they can use the money to make it more appealing to the masses (i.e. make the tech less expensive, read: easier to produce).

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Awesome! It's great that the technology is advancing nicely. So many people bitched about the glasses... I wouldn't mind those but now with glasses-free 3D that's just epic.

Can't wait for them to get bigger and cheaper. 5 years?

Jindrax

Aug 24, 2008
Side note side note... Notice how everytime someone does something awesome with a part of a console or with 100 of to hack say... THE FBI what do they use ? whats that a ps3. not a 360.
Not to be a fanboy but doesnt that mean... NONO NEVERMIND I DIDNT SAY ANYTHING

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
At $130 per square inch, I think I'll pass on the current model when it shows up in the States.

I am interested in the technology, though. I have to think that one day, one day soon to come, 3DTVs will be the norm. Glasses-free 3D in every home. That, my friends, will be the future.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Jindrax said:
Side note side note... Notice how everytime someone does something awesome with a part of a console or with 100 of to hack say... THE FBI what do they use ? whats that a ps3. not a 360.
Not to be a fanboy but doesnt that mean... NONO NEVERMIND I DIDNT SAY ANYTHING
The PS3 isnt used though. The cell processor is (and to be pedantic the 360 has 3 of one of the cells cores in it, the ps just one of that typoe and a few of another)