PS3 Processor Powers New Glasses-Free 3D Televisions

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
KSarty said:
ColdStorage said:
KSarty said:
What a piece of crap. 3D or not, $1440 for a 12-inch TV is bullshit.
Its normal actually, the first ever flat panel TV's in the mid 90's were 10 to 12 inch and ridiculously priced (something like 1200 dollars), they were just tech demos essentially sold for the gadget junkie which would later fund the bigger better TV's, same with HDTV's, a couple of years ago they were about 5000's dollars for a 26 inch plasma.

Partly to do with market demand bringing the cost down over time, but its normal for "new tech" to be stupidly priced.
I understand that, but it is as you said "stupidly priced", as in people would have to be stupid to bother paying for that. Even if I did have any interest in 3D tech, would I seriously consider replacing my 48" HDTV for a 12" 3DTV? No, regardless of the price that would be stupid, the price tag just makes it worse.
Sorry I should have said, its not for the mainstream like you and me, its for the gadget junkie.

You make the exact same arguement against this TV as the CRT crowd did when Plasma's and LCD's came out at a billion dollars for 20 inchers.

"why should I buy that when I have a 36 inch CRT?!, its madness"

blah de blah.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
KSarty said:
What a piece of crap. 3D or not, $1440 for a 12-inch TV is bullshit. And it's ugly to boot, what the hell is that huge blank space under the screen?
The cooling setup for the 6 year old CPU.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
What's the bloody point of bothering with 3D if hardly anyone has programming for it?
I can only see this being used for movies honestly, and the selection really sucks there too.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
What's the bloody point of bothering with 3D if hardly anyone has programming for it?
I can only see this being used for movies honestly, and the selection really sucks there too.
Satallite in the UK have released a 3D Channel on the 1st of Oct.

Live Sports, Movies, a few documentaries and some things from its arts channels.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Petromir said:
Atmos Duality said:

Live Sports, Movies, a few documentaries and some things from its arts channels.
Ok, so at least one channel is supporting it...but will it be enough to encourage others to jump on later?
Keeping in mind that in the United States (where I live) we only recently went to all digital TV. I wonder how long we will drag our feet with 3D.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Maybe these things'll be cheap enough to watch the Hobbit(being filmed in proper 3d) on by the time it reaches Blu-ray

MentalBakura

Welcome To Das Oontz
Feb 21, 2009
This could be interesting when larger televisions are rolled out with this technology, and when the price comes down a lot. So, it'll be a while yet I guess.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I was saying a year ago that you can do this same crap with your own PC and monitor. It takes a filter and a sweet spot. Plus whatever playback software you would need. I am sure these displays are optimized, but I am waiting for the hack that relieves to people how much they are being ripped off.

MentalBakura said:
This could be interesting when larger televisions are rolled out with this technology, and when the price comes down a lot. So, it'll be a while yet I guess.
There where larger autosetreoscopic displays demoed well over a year ago. They all relied on parallax view, which means you have to sit as specific distance from them and center on. The effect is diminished, and disappears altogether if you move to far off center, or to far away or two close. This works with smaller sets only.

It would seem this is only news because they used a cell processor in the unit.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Now 3D will be on its way to household acceptance. That is, once it gets past this early-adopter testing-the-waters stage. In three years these and PS3s are gonna see major playtime.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
We all knew this was coming. Now this makes 3D tv interesting.

I don't want to wear idiotic glasses, but a 3-D I can just watch like a TV. Now that is worthwhile.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Sky (aforementioned Satellite provider in the UK) is betting on it being successful, and to be honest they're still the major provider of HD content in the UK. Wouldn't mind betting on 3D not being a fad this time.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
The day I spend 2800 bucks on a 20 inch tv is the day I literally will just start giving my clear and vast fortunes away.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Irridium said:
I think I'll stick with my $80 20 inch SDTV for now. Plus it has HD inputs so I can play games in 480p. So the text isn't unreadable for me :D

My TV is awesome.
Lucky... my TV is like 7 years old, and only has SD inputs. It sucked with Mass Effect 2, but I figured it out.
[sub](By figured it out, I mean I read the whole codex online. Don't judge me)[/sub]

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
i cant wait for some of us Americans to reverse-engineer this shit and sell it for half the price as they make slaves in china build it for us >:D
/sarcasm

seriously though, people are stupid and they'll willingly pay for this shit, which makes me so mad....

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Pffft, you have to be fucking joking. You guys would spend this much for a 3d tv?! You're nucking futs!

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Petromir said:
Atmos Duality said:

Ok, so at least one channel is supporting it...but will it be enough to encourage others to jump on later?
Keeping in mind that in the United States (where I live) we only recently went to all digital TV. I wonder how long we will drag our feet with 3D.
We still have analogue over here, still a couple of years before the last region of the UK switches over.

And yeh 1 channel, but its only a couple since we only had one HD channel in the UK and now I can get about 50.

And as the amount of 3D content gets larger, they'll have more channels. In less than a year UK will have a dedictaed 3D sports and dedicated 3D movies channels.

3D channels will likely take off slower than HD becasue its harder to make convincing upscalling to 3D, and a channel switching between the 2 would likely be problomatic, so 3D channels will likely be deciated to 3D unlike HD channels.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Petromir said:
We still have analogue over here, still a couple of years before the last region of the UK switches over.

And yeh 1 channel, but its only a couple since we only had one HD channel in the UK and now I can get about 50.

And as the amount of 3D content gets larger, they'll have more channels. In less than a year UK will have a dedictaed 3D sports and dedicated 3D movies channels.

3D channels will likely take off slower than HD becasue its harder to make convincing upscalling to 3D, and a channel switching between the 2 would likely be problomatic, so 3D channels will likely be deciated to 3D unlike HD channels.
You too?
My local stations missed both analogue deadlines by months and had to work on an extension. The saddest part here is that the signal quality dropped straight into the shitter once they did make the switch late last-year. We now get channels that play like the Matrix is crashing, or sometimes they seize up altogether.

In short, I'm not all that thrilled about 3D programming if they can't even get basic Digital transmission to work properly. That's for both Cable and Antenna; not sure about satellite though.

On Topic...(still): Based on Sony's recent actions, they seem to want to open up the market in 3D so they can have a virtual monopoly on the tech. The investment seems risky though because if they fail, they will be the only loser in their own market with no competition to bear part of the burden.

I say that because Sony is the only major company that I know that is openly (and aggressively) promoting 3D TVs or licensing their tech to create 3D TVs. This means prices will remain artificially inflated (to recoup on their investment, natch), slowing the adoption rate considerably.

In short, Sony needs to find a way to manufacture these new 3D TVs to compete with the recently initiated HD market, and fast if they want to convince me (or anyone else who just acquired a good HD TV) to sign on.

If it sounds like circular logic, it kind of is, but that's the way this works unfortunately when you go to establish a new market.

secretgeek

Oct 6, 2010
I think you've missed the point a little here.

I hate to say RTFA but clearly this has some promising advantages over existing 3D tech. To start: The system can produce 3D from 2D - yes it's using an entire Cell processor to do this and yes, it's only managing that with a 20 inch screen but what happens when Cell is old news and processors are that much more powerful again? Look to the future peeps.

Also, note the use of filters to direct the pairs of images. I'm assuming some kind of nano-tech material is being used here to direct each set of images into the 40 degree angle that they mention. Nano-tech is also pretty new. What happens when you've got a filter that can have direct 20, 40, 100 sets of images? So now, where ever you or your mates sit you'll have two sets of beautiful images being beamed straight into your weeping with joy eyeballs.

Some of you probably sound a lot like people on their horses dissing Benz for the noisy, dirty uncomfortable contraption he invented called....the motor car.

Look to the future peeps. This might just be it.

Now...where's my hover boots?