PS3 Will Outsell 360: EA Report

xaspirex

Jul 9, 2008
i think that most people will just buy a ps3 because they realize that it is far cheaper than buying an actual blue ray player, everyone i know who has a ps3 bought it for that reason.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
It's pointless anyway, since both of the consoles are basically competing for 2nd place. Really, i know i might regret saying this as i'm sure it will draw attention, but i really hope that the Wii will end up in 2nd or better yet 3rd place in the wars. Not necisarily fail, just not where it is now. The Wii is basically a cool, electronic toy, and when you think about it what do you think the parents of a kid who know nothing of the gaming world will buy for their kid; a 360 with all those testosterone filled games (I.E. Gears of War, Halo 3) or the seemingly innocent kiddy-fun-fun games the Wii has?

Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but at the same time there is. It's like Nintendo knows that no matter what they put out, people are going to buy it because it's "fun for all the family!!" (probably didn't make a good enough example)

Because Nintendo is stuck firmly in the family friendly business, it hurts the gaming industry somewhat because, guess what, even more people are going to think that gaming is just for children and an immature hobby because Nintendo keeps pushing the "fun for family" stuff when many other games are not for children and will definately get attention from the media because they're not "fun-fun-happy-fun!" games.

I better stop now, i don't think i'm on the topic. But on topic, i could care less if the Ps3 ended up 3rd, just so long as i have the games i want and people will leave the other consoles alone.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Jumplion said:
But on topic, i could care less if the Ps3 ended up 3rd, just so long as i have the games i want and people will leave the other consoles alone.
Which I reckon is the attitude gamers should take. Unfortunately, with trolls and fanboys, sane console owners can't get any respite.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Thats the US, which is likely to have figures warped in the 360's favour at present.

Edit: And where the hell didf they get those figures from anyway? You can't trust sales, cause lack of region coding means that eBay would be a constant source of games, and unless they made sure there were no outside figures influencing, using samples would be useless
Warped by what... consumer demand? And I would buy your argument that eBay could skew the figures, but there is no reason it would skew any heavier for 360 than it would for PS3. At least not one that I could think of. So, it looks like Stompy's theory about PS3 benefitting heavily from Blu-Ray rather than game sales may hold some water. I tried to find some numbers for attach-rates of movies as well, but it'll take a bit more leg-work on Google. Anyone up for the challenge?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
stompy said:
Jumplion said:
But on topic, i could care less if the Ps3 ended up 3rd, just so long as i have the games i want and people will leave the other consoles alone.
Which I reckon is the attitude gamers should take. Unfortunately, with trolls and fanboys, sane console owners can't get any respite.
Though I think part of these console wars, as this is the most blood thirstyest and vicious of any war i've ever participated it (hell, this is my first console war) is because it's so equal and close, everyone wants to come up on top.

I predict in the end (either the first console to end in this generation or the whole generation) that it's going to be a very close call between which ever consoles are still in the race, but right now it's the 360 and PS3 competing for 2nd.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
m_jim said:
stompy said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
But is it likely? I severely doubt it.
I can neither support nor refute that statement without cold, hard evidence, which unfortunately isn't given from this thread. If you have something else you'd like to share and contribute to the thread, then by all means go ahead.
You want evidence? I've got it right here, the cold, hard numbers...
http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/04/27/xbox-360-leads-software-attach-rate-even-the-wii-beats-ps3/
Make of that what you all will.
God damnit this is exactly why I hate "Game Politics" - this inconsitency is ridiculous, sometimes the Wii is "destroying the competition" and the...

wait a second I just re-read and are we talking about the amount of software sales or console sales?

So the Xbox 360 wins by a country mile, with owners buying an average of 7.5 games per console. It?s not really that surprising though, as Xbox owners tend to be quite hardcore gamers rather than casual. Also, with the Xbox having been out the longest of the three home consoles, they have obviously had more time to build a collection.

OMG XBOX IS HARDCORE!

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
OH LAWD, THIS JUST IN! 360 IS DEAD, THE WII HAS OVERTAKEN THE 360, OMFG! [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53754]

Told ya it's inconsistent.

Mar 26, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I thought it was accepted that the higher prevelance of 360's in the US was able to be attributed to its heavier advertising buzz. Thus, the concept of people buying it for Blu-Ray or as a second console might be true in America. Elsewhere, there's no indication at all thats that is a reality.

And the importing thing wouldn't work in any way for the 360, due to it clutching to region coding, whereas Ps3 owners could buy games from worldwide, based on where they could get the better deal.
I tell you what, I saw an ad for the Xbox 360 here and almost died! I see ads for the PS3 and Wii everywhere and hardly ever see a mention of the 360 despite the fact all my friends have one and I know a lot of other people who do to. That said the Wii has really won over the single mums as a cheap and effective baby-sitter and also convinced the seniors that they are still "with the times", so they are making money hand over fist. I don't know too many people with PS3s and those that have them are either after a good quality Blu-ray player (which it is) or got it free with their Sony Bravia LCD TV.

EA can take a flying leap for all I care and I personally don't mind if the PS3 lives long and prospers, as long as good games keep coming out on the X360 I'm happy. After buying both a Sega Saturn and a Dreamcast on launch I've had my heart broken too many times.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
The only reason the PS3 is going to start doing better is the fact that everyone thinks Blu-Ray has finally won the HD war (it's still not over, but it doesn't look good for HD-DVD). If they want to sell more, put some better games out for it. Is it really that hard to understand?
No. It's over. You are in Denial if you don't think so. It is fucking over.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
I thought it was accepted that the higher prevelance of 360's in the US was able to be attributed to its heavier advertising buzz. Thus, the concept of people buying it for Blu-Ray or as a second console might be true in America. Elsewhere, there's no indication at all thats that is a reality.

And the importing thing wouldn't work in any way for the 360, due to it clutching to region coding, whereas Ps3 owners could buy games from worldwide, based on where they could get the better deal.
I tell you what, I saw an ad for the Xbox 360 here and almost died! I see ads for the PS3 and Wii everywhere and hardly ever see a mention of the 360 despite the fact all my friends have one and I know a lot of other people who do to. That said the Wii has really won over the single mums as a cheap and effective baby-sitter and also convinced the seniors that they are still "with the times", so they are making money hand over fist. I don't know too many people with PS3s and those that have them are either after a good quality Blu-ray player (which it is) or got it free with their Sony Bravia LCD TV.

EA can take a flying leap for all I care and I personally don't mind if the PS3 succeeds, as long as good games keep coming out on the X360 I'm happy. After buy both a Sega Saturn and a Dreamcast I've had my heart broken too many times.
...Ok, am I the only one who has no idea what the fuck he's saying?
No, I'm with you on taht.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Aries_Split said:
Spinwhiz said:
The only reason the PS3 is going to start doing better is the fact that everyone thinks Blu-Ray has finally won the HD war (it's still not over, but it doesn't look good for HD-DVD). If they want to sell more, put some better games out for it. Is it really that hard to understand?
No. It's over. You are in Denial if you don't think so. It is fucking over.
Uh, while it's true that he shouldn't have worded his idea like that, don't you think the "you're in denial; it's over" is a little harsh? I mean, even if he's dead wrong and the PS3 will win this generation (unlikely since the Wii is still kicking ass... and chewing gum), I still don't think that gives you the right to be so confrontational.