PS3 Will Outsell 360: EA Report

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
BBLIZZARD said:
ps3 out selling 360? pffft, yeah ok
You see, there's this thing thats slightly larger than America. its called "the earth" and a lot of its inhabitants can add up the total price the 360 needs to function, and realise its not as cheap as it looks (or behaves).
Apart from xbox live I can't think of anything that the 360 "needs" to run.

I've heard this argument so many times but no one ever seems bothered to back up their argument with facts or challenge it and other people just assume that the 360 is expensive to run. What is it that makes it so expensive to run a 360?

On a side note, the 360 is still outselling the PS3, prehaps EA was wrong?

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Aries_Split said:
And No, The PS3 surpassed the 360 sometime in may.
Really? The internet says different. [http://nexgenwars.com/]

What I think you might be thinking of is that in the month of may the total sales of the PS3 was more than the sales of the PS3. In fact pretty much for all of 2008 the PS3 has been doing better than the 360 however because of the 360's headstart is still out infront.

Just one of those random facts I know.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I don't have any of those but I do agree with you. Thats a lot of extras. I feel sorry for those poor fools who bought a HD-DVD players.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Fire Daemon said:
Buy out infront I mean out infront by total unit sales, not current sale habits.
But thats useless, as it serves no purpose in indiicating future sales. That the major point of showing these things, to try and highlight trends and patterns.
But I wasn't talking about future sales, infact I don't give two flying fucks about future sales. I was mearly saying that the PS3 has not outsold the 360 and backing up my statement with evidence.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
It's like bile tennis. Do we really need to go through these arguments every time a console is even mentioned? Seriously? On a thread from yonks ago, more to the point. Revived for the purpose of a pointless argument...

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Fire Daemon said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Fire Daemon said:
Buy out infront I mean out infront by total unit sales, not current sale habits.
But thats useless, as it serves no purpose in indiicating future sales. That the major point of showing these things, to try and highlight trends and patterns.
But I wasn't talking about future sales, infact I don't give two flying fucks about future sales. I was mearly saying that the PS3 has not outsold the 360 and backing up my statement with evidence.
I'm getting the air your trying to avoid the statement.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Fire Daemon said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
BBLIZZARD said:
ps3 out selling 360? pffft, yeah ok
You see, there's this thing thats slightly larger than America. its called "the earth" and a lot of its inhabitants can add up the total price the 360 needs to function, and realise its not as cheap as it looks (or behaves).
Apart from xbox live I can't think of anything that the 360 "needs" to run.

I've heard this argument so many times but no one ever seems bothered to back up their argument with facts or challenge it and other people just assume that the 360 is expensive to run. What is it that makes it so expensive to run a 360?

On a side note, the 360 is still outselling the PS3, prehaps EA was wrong?
Wireless internet functionality, an HD-DVD reader (useless now - the Blu-Ray Drive when they try to copy it), extra memory, the cooling fan needed to stop it overheating when left on for long periods- I realise that not all of this is what would be deemed neccesary (poor choice of words on my part, I admit it), but its still stuff that a lot of players would benefit hugely from, and probably do want, and are deemed frivolous extras on the 360. And expensive too.
HD-DVD: Only necessary if you're an early adopter of a format that by necessity has very few titles compared to DVD and offers nothing extra unless you also have a relatively large HD screen. If you do, then having 360 cost about the same as the PS3 isn't going to phase you either way.
Extra memory? The standard hard drive seems to be enough for most peoples' purposes. I shove more music onto it than most and I'm still surviving.
Special cooling fan? I've never heard of such a thing and I pay more attention to the gaming biz than your average consoletard. It just wouldn't enter the minds of most gamers. I remember quite clearly a LAN I was at only three weeks ago with 7 360s running without pause for hours on end: there was no problem. If a half-day LAN didn't cause any hassles this is clearly the kind of addition only the overclocking type of console gamer would even consider, and these guys are a small part of the market.
Really, the cost of a few add-ons that only a console gamer more hardcore than myself would think aren't going to change anyone's minds.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
m_jim said:
stompy said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
But is it likely? I severely doubt it.
I can neither support nor refute that statement without cold, hard evidence, which unfortunately isn't given from this thread. If you have something else you'd like to share and contribute to the thread, then by all means go ahead.
You want evidence? I've got it right here, the cold, hard numbers...
http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/04/27/xbox-360-leads-software-attach-rate-even-the-wii-beats-ps3/
Make of that what you all will.
Do me a favour. Go look at a calendar and tell me the year. 2010? Yeah that article was from 2008. Welcome to the future bro.

EDIT: Why the hell did this thead show up if its from 08'? LOL

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
xaspirex said:
i think that most people will just buy a ps3 because they realize that it is far cheaper than buying an actual blue ray player, everyone i know who has a ps3 bought it for that reason.
You don't have gamer friends? I bought my ps3 exclusively for the games. Its like saying you only bought the 360 to watch dvd's lol.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
IamSofaKingRaw said:
m_jim said:
stompy said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
But is it likely? I severely doubt it.
I can neither support nor refute that statement without cold, hard evidence, which unfortunately isn't given from this thread. If you have something else you'd like to share and contribute to the thread, then by all means go ahead.
You want evidence? I've got it right here, the cold, hard numbers...
http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/04/27/xbox-360-leads-software-attach-rate-even-the-wii-beats-ps3/
Make of that what you all will.
Do me a favour. Go look at a calendar and tell me the year. 2010? Yeah that article was from 2008. Welcome to the future bro.
Take a look at the date of the post directly above your post. Now read what you posted. Yeah that first two lines about favors and checking dates. That's good enough.

<color=aliceblue>Seriously dude? A two and a quarter year necro and you're telling people to check dates?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
ok. who cast threadomancy in here? come on own up. this threads been dead for a long time. i can see the wallpaper peeling off...