PS3 worth buying for GTA V?

oversoon

Oct 12, 2013
The PS3 is worth buying for its exclusives, but not just for GTA V... You said you have neither console, so I assume you do have a PC. Every GTA has come to PC somewhere around 6 months after the console releases. Wait for the PC version if you have one.

oversoon

Oct 12, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
frobalt said:
Are load times and frame rates really that bad?
Does a one-time load of like ten seconds bother you? 10

Because that's what you get.
It is a one time load... But 10 seconds? It's WAY longer than that.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
My brother has a ps3 and I played the game for an hours or so the last time I visited him, and well... the game is really laggy (stuttering) while you drive around.

If you want a console then I suggest you wait untill more games can be played on the ps4/Xbox one.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
oversoon said:
It might be slightly longer, but WAY? In caps? I barely have time to leave the room.

Granted, I'm playing on the 360. Is it longer on the PS3?

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
The load times on PS3 are a lot longer than 10 seconds, try anywhere from 90 seconds to 3 minutes if you want to go online.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
00slash00 said:
but the controls and game play leave much to be desired. Definitely works better as a movie than a game
Where exactly do the controls leave much to be desired, if you don't mind my asking? Didn't have any trouble playing through the game with it's controlscheme, so I'm interested in what you found to be faulty with it.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
Even the price point is still debatable. Which has been proven since the price scared him away. Not exactly convincing that its "poor man's gaming" when he ran from the price and bought what amounts to a humble bundle and playing a free to play. Its been obvious that the price for console gaming is high and its best to get the console when its retro when no one wants it anymore. Its retro, but people still cling onto it. So naturally the price will be high.
It's funny how cheap this makes me sound.

In reality, the reason the price point put me off is because I'd potentially be spending £200 ($335 according to google) for a single game which I could end up regretting if I wasn't fond of it - For that price my expectations would be extremely high.

Of course, I would also use the playstation for other things, but that would come in the future.

I do wonder though: How long will it be before last-gen stuff comes to dirt cheap?

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
To be fully honest...getting an entire system, for one game is in my opinion idiotic, (listen to me before you throw stones.)

You would buy an entire system, to play one game.... Now I saw you were saying you would like to play Last of Us aswell (awesome game btw) but then you have a few more titles, in my opinion that were amazing such as, Dark Souls, Bioshock Infinite, Darksiders, Dead Space. Now if your going after I'd say..atleast 5 titles? then yeah, I would personally buy one, (sidenote: My PS3 is my holy grail...it broke once and I dont even want to imagine me slobbering and having tears at the fact......ah-hem). But if your just after 1 title? for the whole system...seriously...get a friend to lend it to you, (chances are high they have the game) and if they dont, rent it for a weekend and go nuts...tell your family you died..wtv...but play it that weekend. Theres also quite a few stores that 'lend' systems, so you could play/beat it in that time if your solely going after that one game. So yeah....getting an entire system for solely one game (if its not part of a collection fetish you have...I have one :p tyvm.) would be silly in my opinion.

RodSk8Dude

Nov 10, 2012
frobalt said:
[...]Is GTA V good enough that it'd be worth buying a PS3 for it? (Well, I'd be buying it for GTA V, but would probably buy other games as well, such as last of us)
No. If you have a PC, wait for a PC port (then some more for the patch for all the inevitable problems with it). The console versions aren't as bad as some f***ing annoying fanboys (looking at you, "master race") would have you believe, but just for it it's not worth it...

..but since you said you think about getting other games...

GTA V, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, God of War... besides it's copycat fame I think "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale: Sony's Super Smash Bros" do look kind of fun to play with friends, and online is free. There are a good amount of older games which you can get for a cheaper price (even here in Brazil, where games cost twice as much and don't have the prices reduced as quickly, I still got some older games for good prices), there are some PS1/PS2 classics that might be worthy too (the graphics don't really matter as much as the GAMES themselves if you ask me).

Loading times are worse on the PS3 than on the Xbox (an installed game on PS3 can take as much to load as an uninstalled one on Xbox), and you DO have to install the games, but overall (having both the PS3 and Xbox 360), I would say the PS3 might still be a better choice if you want a console.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Not from what i seen, used games can be gigantic ripoffs.

Unless its console exclusive, Steam, origin, and uplay blow the used games out of the water. Digital just cant be beat. Even PSN+ beats used physical games.

Its only in old exclusive titles does used games make any sense.
Physical just can't be beat because, oh I don't know, you can fucking sell that physical game after your done. The digital price may be cheaper (and it usually isn't cheaper on PSN even with PS+ discounts) but you then can't sell that game after you're done. I only buy digital games on PSN that are under $10.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
phoenixlink said:
If your going to get a Ps3 get one for The Last of Us not GTAV
This, The PS3 is worth getting for its exclusives (Infamous, little big planet and Uncharted to name 3) and also the amazing Playstation plus, I have about 40 games, really REALLY good games just lying about on my PS3 that i played pennies for. £40 a year for 24+ good PS3 games, Its Bioshock Infinite atm.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
You've waited this long and you haven't bought it.

Since you don't own a console I suggest you do the rational thing and just wait for the PC version where you will play at 60 fps and better graphical quality.

Now if only R* would give us a release date already.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
frobalt said:
So I've been thinking recently: I want to play GTA V but don't have an xbox or ps3.

Here's a question for those that have played it:

Is GTA V good enough that it'd be worth buying a PS3 for it? (Well, I'd be buying it for GTA V, but would probably buy other games as well, such as last of us)

Also, does anyone know where about in the UK would be the best place to buy it? Or what HDD size I'd need at the least?
There's a GTA V bundle that would serve your needs pretty well.

If you do go for a PS3, pick up InFamous and InFamous 2 as well. Also Last of Us and Uncharted Trilogy (all three games, one package, cheaper). If you dig Ratchet & Clank, their PS3 games were mostly good as well, but skip All 4 One.

Hope that helps. :)

oversoon

Oct 12, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
oversoon said:
It might be slightly longer, but WAY? In caps? I barely have time to leave the room.

Granted, I'm playing on the 360. Is it longer on the PS3?
Yes, WAY-in-caps longer. 10 seconds is about a twelfth of the time it take to load on either system.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
The only problem with waiting is that the online part, and in my opinion the mist fun part might be completely depopulated by then.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
frobalt said:
I have wondered if I should wait for the PC version, but that could be a long way away and I'm a bit impatient.
Tbh I have a PS3 and I'm still waiting on a PC version. Shooters are just something I enjoy a lot more when I'm able to use a mouse and keyboard. I've played RDR on a PS3 as there's no PC version of it and I've enjoyed it... but using auto-aim (or aiming as if I was using a robot, rather than a pair of arms) took a good portion of the fun out of it. I'm also looking forward to giving the online portion a go, always wanted something like it, but I've had far better experiences with PC online communities (not fantastic either... but miles ahead still in my experience)

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
I have a rule when it comes to buying new gaming hardware:

If the price of the hardware is more than the sum of the price of the games you want to buy it for, don't buy it.

So, is the PS3 worth buying for GTA V?
No.

Is it worth buying if you also plan on getting stuff like Journey, Valkyria Chonicles, Puppeteer, Ni No Kuni, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance, Uncharted, inFamous, The Last Of Us, The Unfinished Swan, Shatter, WipEout HD/Fury or maybe some of the HD-collections? Then, yes.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'd say it's definitely worth getting a PS3, and not just for GTA5. The system has a huge catalogue of fantastic games with many exclusives. I'd say now is also the perfect time to buy a PS3 b/c for starters the system can be found dirt cheap and the games haven't gotten out of print/stock yet. Neither have the servers with all the patches been shut down yet. So you probably want to buy a PS3 before its relegated to a retro console. Or not, its up to you. :p

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
oversoon said:
Yes, WAY-in-caps longer. 10 seconds is about a twelfth of the time it take to load on either system.
Yeah, no. I've never, ever had to wait even close to two minutes to load GTA V. Unless you count the initial install, and then you're off by about six minutes.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
O maestre said:
The only problem with waiting is that the online part, and in my opinion the mist fun part might be completely depopulated by then.
It'd help if they actually added in the stuff they've been hyping since the game was announced. I've been rather bored the few times I've been on of late.

Vrach said:
Tbh I have a PS3 and I'm still waiting on a PC version. Shooters are just something I enjoy a lot more when I'm able to use a mouse and keyboard. I've played RDR on a PS3 as there's no PC version of it and I've enjoyed it... but using auto-aim (or aiming as if I was using a robot, rather than a pair of arms) took a good portion of the fun out of it. I'm also looking forward to giving the online portion a go, always wanted something like it, but I've had far better experiences with PC online communities (not fantastic either... but miles ahead still in my experience)
In fairness, Rockstar games have aiming about as fluid as ice. I've rarely played a game where the aiming was as stiff. I don't normally use auto-aim on a console, but I pretty much always do on Rockstar games. These are not games you buy for tight controls. You buy them so you can strap C4 to hookers while singing that Katy Perry song about being a firework.

I'm pretty sure the aiming is better on COD with the sensitivity cranked to 1 than RDR is with the sensitivity at max.