PS4 Becomes UK's Fastest-Selling Gaming System

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
PS4 Becomes UK's Fastest-Selling Gaming System

The PS4 overtakes the Xbox One and PSP in best-selling launch week.

The PS4 launched in Europe on Nov. 29, one week after the Xbox One's multi-country launch. Already the PS4 in the UK has been said to have surpassed the Xbox One's UK numbers. Sony's new console sold 250,000 units in the first 48 hours, according to MCV, making it the country's fastest-selling gaming system.

The Xbox One sold about 150,000 units in its first 48 hours, and back in 2005 the PSP launched at 185,000 units sold. Both the PS4 and Xbox One numbers are unconfirmed. MCV reports its retail sources confirm the numbers published by Chart Track [http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=1753&s=1111].

Both PS4 and Xbox One games are selling well, as confirmed by Chart Track [http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015]. Call of Duty: Ghosts was the best-seller in the UK in the week ending on Nov. 30. FIFA 14 came in second, and Battlefield 4 remained in third place. Wii U games have not sold nearly as well. According to the chart, PS4 launch game Knack, placed thirteenth, overtook Nintendo's Super Mario 3D World at fourteenth, which launched the same day as the PS4 in the UK.

Interestingly, as well as the PS4 did in the UK, PS4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130125-Xbox-Dominates-US-Black-Friday-Retail-Console-Sales] sold a million units in its first 24 hours on North American launch. Both the PS4 and Xbox One appear to be selling well regardless of "console wars."

Source: Joystiq [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-has-sold-over-250k-ps4s-in-the-uk/0125169]

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Any chance we can get global sales of both consoles at some point or another? Would be nice to have more cohesive data than just day-1 sales in the US, 48-hour sales in the UK and day-1 global sales of the Xbone... in terms of sales, where do each of these consoles stand at the current state of time compared to one another?

Maybe we'll just have to wait till the end of the quarter...

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Simalacrum said:
Any chance we can get global sales of both consoles at some point or another? Would be nice to have more cohesive data than just day-1 sales in the US, 48-hour sales in the UK and day-1 global sales of the Xbone... in terms of sales, where do each of these consoles stand at the current state of time compared to one another?

Maybe we'll just have to wait till the end of the quarter...
Well both Consoles are not out in every Country yet that are planned for them so getting a global sale would not be completely accurate yet. Hell in Japan both systems won't be out till around next year and for PS4 atleast that will be a huge boost and not every Country has yet released the Xboxone as well so we will have to wait a good while.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
MinionJoe said:
Simalacrum said:
Any chance we can get global sales of both consoles at some point or another?
If the sales numbers are bad, we'll never hear them because that information would scare off investors.

If the sales numbers are good, they'll be inflated in every way possible to make each company look their best.
Since both have limited the release of consoles the sales will look better at first because they both can say oh we sold out of them in X place or store even though they had only a limited supply in the first place. Also if they did bad as you mention they would not say in honest for it would be bad PR for consumers and investors, but if the more savy investor with more knowledge and info could possibly find out how bad or good it is to a degree. The other factor is both are not even available to purchase yet in some countries that they are set to be in and thus sales there are not known as of yet. I think it will be almost a good year before we will get any real solid factual sales numbers maybe...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
We all know PS4 will sell more than the XB1. But as a gamer, i want them both to do well enough to want to bring out another console in 8 to 10 years time. I dont count Nintendo, because they are in their own separate league doing their own thing. :)

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
So, in the UK at least, the PS4 has sold (much) more in 48 hours than the Wii U has in a year? And fucking Knack sold more than Super Mario World 3D [http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015]?!

Well then...

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
So, in the UK at least, the PS4 has sold (much) more in 48 hours than the Wii U has in a year? And fucking Knack sold more than Super Mario World 3D [http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015]?!

Well then...
The transparency on that gif is brilliant!

And yeah... This does not surprise me the UK has always been Playstation territory over the Xbox. Outselling every PS console before it though? Damn Sony someone is getting a raise this year.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Surprises me that that many people can afford it.

Nice to see that Knack sold decently though. I hear it's not bad, despite reviewing badly.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Andy Shandy said:

Well then...
First. Great GIF

Second. To be fair Sony's sales are going to be very flash in the pan as opposed to Nintendo's slow burn. Sony has pushed Pre-Orders heavily which exsaserbate that, while Nintendo could care less about them. And while Knack is selling well (Which I'm very happy about by the by) It has been out for twice as long as Mario has and Mario is going to keep selling a few years down the line while Knack will have sold most of what it will sell in about six months to a year.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Pink Gregory said:
Surprises me that that many people can afford it.

Nice to see that Knack sold decently though. I hear it's not bad, despite reviewing badly.
My Brother got it and it's quite fun, I was surprised at how reviews went for it. Quite a few expecting "next gen gameplay" whatever the hell that means...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
I am enjoying watching Microsoft fall so short of their closest competition. Finally get to see them at least a little fucked over for all the fucking over of us they do. They can backpedal and they can spin, but assholes will be fucked eventually.
Seriously? We're still not over the irrational hatred of a thing they wanted to do then changed back? To say Microsoft is falling short in this... well, it's rather silly don't you think? We're looking at one European country not the entire world. It should also be noted that Europe has been skewed towards Sony when it comes to consoles for a long time. If Microsoft is falling behind here that's what should be expected from last generation when Sony was more or less behind Microsoft on a global scale for the most of the generation only catching up towards the end when Sony really gathered momentum and released some of the best games of that generation and started selling quite cheap consoles.

Sorry if I come across as ranting here, I'm just tired of how we all seem to jump to conclusions at the drop of a hat. Both companies are doing quite well.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Yopaz said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
I am enjoying watching Microsoft fall so short of their closest competition. Finally get to see them at least a little fucked over for all the fucking over of us they do. They can backpedal and they can spin, but assholes will be fucked eventually.
Seriously? We're still not over the irrational hatred of a thing they wanted to do then changed back? To say Microsoft is falling short in this... well, it's rather silly don't you think? We're looking at one European country not the entire world. It should also be noted that Europe has been skewed towards Sony when it comes to consoles for a long time. If Microsoft is falling behind here that's what should be expected from last generation when Sony was more or less behind Microsoft on a global scale for the most of the generation only catching up towards the end when Sony really gathered momentum and released some of the best games of that generation and started selling quite cheap consoles.

Sorry if I come across as ranting here, I'm just tired of how we all seem to jump to conclusions at the drop of a hat. Both companies are doing quite well.
Actually, Sony has sold far more consoles, including in the country Microsoft dominates - the U.S. In launch week, the One managed to only sell one million units world wide. Where the PS4 managed one million in America alone.

I'm glad Microsoft is getting fucked. They showed their true colours - how blatantly anti-consumer they are, and now they pay for it. No amount of back pedaling or spin can undo the damage. We know now what they are and what they want. I hope they burn to the ground for it.

Sony's only slightly better. But at least one asshole gets what it has coming.
Sony did actually patent a way of preventing used games before the Xbox One and PS4 were announced. Yeah, Sony is just as bad as Microsoft, but none of them actually went through with it. Competition is important. Also what do you mean one asshole gets what's coming? 1 million consoles in those few countries where it actually launched (most of Europe didn't get it so worldwide is an overstatement) is still pretty damn good.

I find it extremely childish to hold grudges against this since it's something that didn't actually happen. By all means, be childish, wish for people to lose their jobs, wish death upon the CEOs because after all overly dramatic response is the only proper response on the internet.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
roseofbattle said:
Both the PS4 and Xbox One appear to be selling well regardless of "console wars."
Regardless? So the console wars means neither or only one will sell well? How does that work? And why is console wars in quote marks? It's simply a way to refer to the competition between the companies involved.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Yopaz said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Yopaz said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:

Actually, Sony has sold far more consoles, including in the country Microsoft dominates - the U.S. In launch week, the One managed to only sell one million units world wide. Where the PS4 managed one million in America alone.

I'm glad Microsoft is getting fucked. They showed their true colours - how blatantly anti-consumer they are, and now they pay for it. No amount of back pedaling or spin can undo the damage. We know now what they are and what they want. I hope they burn to the ground for it.

Sony's only slightly better. But at least one asshole gets what it has coming.
Sony did actually patent a way of preventing used games before the Xbox One and PS4 were announced. Yeah, Sony is just as bad as Microsoft, but none of them actually went through with it. Competition is important. Also what do you mean one asshole gets what's coming? 1 million consoles in those few countries where it actually launched (most of Europe didn't get it so worldwide is an overstatement) is still pretty damn good.

I find it extremely childish to hold grudges against this since it's something that didn't actually happen. By all means, be childish, wish for people to lose their jobs, wish death upon the CEOs because after all overly dramatic response is the only proper response on the internet.
I will indeed wish Microsoft fail. People will lose their jobs. Yup. That's what happens. Or were you hoping I'd want a greedy, insidious, lying company to stay in business. Not an actual question.

If all you've got is name calling, I'll go ahead and leave you to it.
What about Sony's patent? Isn't that just as anti-consumer as the log in once a day thing? They were seeking out to accomplish the exact thing as Microsoft. Hate them all you want, they're not failing just because Sony sold more consoles. Competition is what prevented the online bullshit of Xbox One, if Sony doesn't have competition what is preventing them from applying their patented technology? Loyal customers? Nintendo? None of those matter.

I don't like Microsoft for various reasons, I don't want to have an Xbox One, but why waste my effort on hating them? Why wish for thousands of people to lose their jobs? I think that's just as selfish as any CEO wanting to increase his salary. Wanting thousands of people to lose their job because of something they didn't do.

Also what do you mean with name calling? I haven't called you any names. I simply pointed out that your behaviour is kinda immature.