PS4 Controller Aims to Be "Ideal" For FPS Games

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

PS4 architect Mark Cerny says Sony wants to correct past complaints about the Dualshock controllers.

The PlayStation brand has gone through several iterations since its inception but one thing that's stayed largely the same is the controller. That said, with the PS4 on the horizon, the Dualshock will be getting its most extensive redesign to date. Some of the changes being made are clearly to accommodate new concepts and technologies, such as its built in touch pad. That said, Sony has revealed that the popularity of particular genres also played a part in the Dualshock 4's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122262-Sony-Unveils-the-DualShock-4-Controller>new look.

"Historically we have heard many times that our controllers have not been ideal for first-person shooters," said PS4-architect Mark Cerny. "So we wanted to make sure we had something that would be much better for that genre. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122405-Killzone-Devs-Pushed-for-Curved-Triggers-on-DualShock-4>We tested the throw of the triggers, the position of the triggers, how much pressure it takes. We looked at the joysticks, the dead spot, we looked at convexity and concavity." The results and reaction to the new design seem to be largely positive. "[It] feels extraordinarily natural. I haven't heard a negative comment about it yet. For a controller with a very different form factor that was just amazing to see."

While we agree that the Dualshock 4 looks pretty nifty, we kind of wish that Sony would develop controllers attuned to all the major genres. Imagine how neat it would be to have an official controllers fine tuned to the needs of RPGs or strategy games? Genre specific controllers could arguably help to mitigate some of the sacrifices that developers have to make when bringing more complex games to consoles.

Source: <a href=http://www.stuff.tv/playstation-4/sony-tested-galvanic-stress-sensing-dualshock-4-controller-ps4/news>Stuff

batti

Mar 18, 2009
Phrozenflame500 said:
StewShearer said:
Oh, so the PS4 will be Keyboard+Mouse based then.
funnily enough, PS3 had rudimentary support for KB+M. Not a lot of games supported that, only one I can think of is Unreal Tournament 3, but atleast they tried.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
batti said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
StewShearer said:
funnily enough, PS3 had rudimentary support for KB+M. Not a lot of games supported that, only one I can think of is Unreal Tournament 3, but atleast they tried.
Considering the proliferation of USB and Bluetooth, I can't see any technical reason why they shouldn't be supported. This one's solely on the developers shoulders.

IshimaruHayato

Jun 21, 2013
No...nonono no I think we need to evolve from this FPS poison in the game industry, we need to try new things I'm sick of all these FPS's halo and call of duty created because of their massive sales they made. Im sick of the colors grey,brown and black of the graphics of the buildings. We want more experimentation not more of the same. If PS4 wants to be made for FPS then I'd rather buy an xbox one. Third person shooters on the other hand are okay in my book

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I'm still not sold on the touchpad idea, what would be the point, unless they are going to add mouse pointers that you can control like a laptop touchpad during menus?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
james.sponge said:
Don't bother just give us some usb ports to connect a mouse and keyboard.
=D You could do that with the PS3 it's a pain though, your console and the way you sit playing a console is almost never comfortable with a keyboard or a mouse and it feels really wonky having something as inefficient at input as a keyboard.

I'm interested to see how the improved sensitivity and accuracy of the thumbsticks on both consoles is going to play out

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Good. Going through resistance the fall of man as I'd never played it, the 360 controller was far more comfortable so never played a ps FPS, so I had to go with...*groans* Halo.. And I have to say dualshock takes some getting used to.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
BrotherRool said:
I'm interested to see how the improved sensitivity and accuracy of the thumbsticks on both consoles is going to play out
I was thinking similar things. It's good that they've put so much work into this (although to reiterate, wouldn't it be nice if it was tweaked for other genres as well and can we have less reliance on FPS games please?) but surely there's only so much the console devs can do - and that all that work can go to pot in the space of a single shoddily-made game with its own unresponsive controls.

It's early days, but I'm quite surprised no-one's leapt in yet to defend controller-based input on FPS games and decry all the PC gaming master racers and their "KB&M lol" posts[footnote]Although that's not to say I have anything against such arguments![/footnote] thusfar. I saw the headline and predicted a shitstorm. :(

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Ah crap.
I seriously don't like FPS games. Atleast the military shooter variety.
And since I like playing the few FPS games that I do like (Borderlands, Bioshock, Half Life and Fallout) on the PC this will mean that controller has absolutely no benefit for me.
Sorry Sony, but could you also release a controller optimized for games that aren't an FPS?

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Phrozenflame500 said:
StewShearer said:
Although this post seems to be getting a lot of support, I would like to respectfully disagree. I find that joysticks and triggers feel much better and more immersive for FPS games than a mouse and keyboard (the latter of which makes me feel more like I'm writing an essay with bullets rather than playing a game), and while I will admit that a mouse is better at aiming, I find that the loss of accuracy for console players is beneficial to gameplay, balancing snipers and increasing the likelihood of intimate close-to-mid range combat.

However, I would be glad to hear a counter-argument.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
PC gaming master race reporting for duty, sir !

This is my rifle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
Personally I think aiming with "the sticks" might be fun, probably more fun then mouse and keyboard but I still don't get how exactly are you supposed to utilize that touch pad. Most of the people I've seen were using their thumbs for the sticks and fingers for the buttons up top.
Obviously that leaves teh touch pad for your nose/brow to operate. Should be funny. Streaming your console sessions with video of you playing will be so popular :p

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I don't know why this story was necessary. We can already see that the PS4 controller is well-designed. At the very least, the buttons and joysticks are indented well so that our thumbs would feel right at home staying on them. The layout is symmetrical, and the touchpad is out-of-the-way (and not glaring at the player like the Wii U gamepad) since those who use it will be moving their fingers around anyways. The triggers are just a bonus.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
JenSeven said:
Ah crap.
I seriously don't like FPS games. Atleast the military shooter variety.
And since I like playing the few FPS games that I do like (Borderlands, Bioshock, Half Life and Fallout) on the PC this will mean that controller has absolutely no benefit for me.
Sorry Sony, but could you also release a controller optimized for games that aren't an FPS?
I agree with this. I see people complaining all the time about the Dual Shock controllers and honestly I've never had any problem with them in the slightest. I mean I don't really play FPS games, specifically military shooters, but the ones I do play I use a 360 or a PS3 controller and I feel more comfortable with the PS3's. I'll admit that the shoulder buttons aren't as good as the DualShock 2's, but the controller is just fine I think.