PS4 Impressions

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
The Wooster said:
PS4 Impressions

Huehuehue

Read Full Article
Is that a brazilian laugh?

Because right now we are crying over the issue. A dolar is worth roughly R$ 2,30, but the console's price is going to be
R$ 4.000 (yes, four thousand) at the launch here in Brazil.

The zero games actually makes me glad because I don't have to throw mony down the drain.

Abnaxis

Aug 15, 2008
The thing with the PS4 is, the PS3 had a deliberately obtuse, nonsensical hardware architecture--there's no evidence for the reasoning but I think this was done purposefully, because Sony was counting on the success of the PS2 to follow through, and wanted to make it more difficult to make cross-platform games since they assumed they would get content by default.

So I can understand not being able to implement backwards compatibility for PS3 from a technical standpoint since they went back to a more standard architecture with the PS4, but I have little sympathy since Sony is reaping what it sowed. I just want to say that implementing backward compatibility isn't just an issue of the company not putting in the work, it's also that backward compatibility is going to be REALLY hard to implement

That Eeyore

Aug 18, 2009
Mike Fang said:
Seeing this, I can't help but think back to Jim Sterling's talk on "launch splooge" http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7630-Launch-Splooge
I can see Jim's point on this.

Still, though, if I'm gonna buy a system at launch, I'd like at least SOMETHING to do with it, don't want it to be gathering dust for months while I wait for the game that's actually worth playing to come out.

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
I'll just thank my lucky stars that I'm an Pc gamer then. But I do think it wa near-impossible to get Backwards compatability (from a technical point of view), and that the xbone, ps4 and pc having similar architecture will ensure better and easier ports on the long run.

Giralin

Sep 2, 2010
That Eeyore said:
Gralin said:
That Eeyore said:
Gethsemani said:
Metalrocks said:
lol, wanst it the same thing with the ps3 that hardly any games were out for it?
But at least the PS3 allowed you backwards compatibility on most PS2 games (Soul Calibur 3 not included, which annoyed me and my friends greatly). The PS3 only dropped backwards compatibility when the slim version was released.
Actually, only with certain models. Mine cannot play PS2 games, even with the app downloaded.

Speaking of, does the PS4 have ANY back compatibility, or are you stuck with the PS4 library? Like, I know not with PS3, but with PS1 (which has been on all home console playstations) or PS2.
Right now, but they're going to make it able to run every game in the Playstation Store that PS3 can run, also they will get a game streaming system up for older games
Any idea what a "game streaming system" entails? Like, how it works?
There hasn't really been much said about it. All that's known for sure is that some time in 2014 they plan to give the ability to PS4s to stream PS3 games, using Gaikai. how you pay is completely unknown. will there subscription fee? Would you have to re buy games you already own? My guess is that there will be a subscription fee that's quite likely going to be discounted/free (probably discounted) for plus subscribers. I have no idea if you will have to re buy the games you already have though

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Metalrocks said:
lol, wanst it the same thing with the ps3 that hardly any games were out for it?
Yes. And the PSP, and the Vita, and the 3DS, and the Wii U.

Console launches kind of... are not good. But early adopters are necessary if we're ever going to get the games we want, despite how unwise a decision some think it might be.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The Wooster huh?

Anyway, backwards compatibility was always an afterthought with consoles anyway. Nintendo only did it with their handhelds and the Wii originally. The PS2 had full backwards compatibility but I've heard stories about the PS3 not doing it or something.

You bought a new console! You better hope everyone else does too or there won't be new games developed though...

Also the PSN isn't free anymore. Hmm, does that mean they're actually going to work harder on making it better?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
And this kind of shit is why I'm not getting either console at launch.

I made that mistake once, with the wii. Pretty good launch line up, to be fair, but then it failed to deliver on all those promises. Some other people may have found it satasfactory, which is fine, but I didn't. I understand the eagerness to support a new console that you're hyped for, but personally, I'd rather wait it out a little while. Take advantage of the cheap games for the previous gen while I watch and wait to see which way I wanna go.

Also, no backwards compatibility for either console. Urgh. No. Seriously, for future reference, I would far more readily pay more money for a console on which I can play my existing games than one which has to stand alone.

And don't even make arguments about PC. PC vs console, unless this gen is THAT bad, is a matter of personal preference, and I prefer a console.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
RJ 17 said:
And now it turns out the PS4 wasn't anything to write home about either and is having a slew of various problems and everyone starts remembering why the 360 won the last console war.
What's this 'won' business? Sony are still in business. Surely if we're talking winners of last gen it was Nintendo given how well the Wii did with a handicap, and to my knowledge the only 'loser' of the console wars was Sega
(
Never Forget...)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
That Eeyore said:
Still, though, if I'm gonna buy a system at launch, I'd like at least SOMETHING to do with it, don't want it to be gathering dust for months while I wait for the game that's actually worth playing to come out.
It also used to be that there was one or two "killer apps" at launch. You may not have been showered with good games, but there was some motivator to buy.

I hate this "of course there's no good games for a new system, guys!" attitude.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
TechTim said:
Awesome! can't wait for the XBOX 1 impressions
It's a shame that there's no longer an online requirement. The resulting Diablo-esque or SimCity-esque launch on a console-wide basis would have been hilarious.

I expect a lot of unceremonious "mehs."

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Everyone is so eager to get the new consoles. I'm fine here with all the current gen games and consoles. Once any issues the consoles have are solved, and some games come out, I'll be interested.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RJ 17 said:
And now it turns out the PS4 wasn't anything to write home about either and is having a slew of various problems and everyone starts remembering why the 360 won the last console war.
Okay, no offense, but how in the bloody blue Hell is coming in third place in a three-console race "winning" the last console war?

Worse, when you consider it launched a year before either of the other consoles.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Legion said:
That said, weren't we all aware of what the launch titles were for both new consoles? Why would anybody buy one if they didn't see a handful of games that they were interested in? Or is it just that the ones that seemed interesting turned out to be bad?
I was aware of the handful of games coming out, and didn't preorder in case they weren't worth my time. According to the reviews here, Knack is as poorly balanced as Sonic: Lost World, and Killzone spins around its own established world based on "Spunkgargleweewee" mechanics with a robot attached. Drive Club was postponed for a few months, while The Playroom is Camera exclusive (and a tech demo at that).

So that just leaves AC: Black Flag and PS Plus and its free indie game lineup. Eh, it's sort-of worth it for the long-term. It's best to wait for a Black Friday, Cyber Monday, or post-Christmas bundle. Amazon also has its own PS4 and new Kindle bundle, for whatever that's worth.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ThunderCavalier said:
TechTim said:
Awesome! can't wait for the XBOX 1 impressions
It's a shame that there's no longer an online requirement. The resulting Diablo-esque or SimCity-esque launch on a console-wide basis would have been hilarious.

I expect a lot of unceremonious "mehs."
the fact that you need to download an update for the Xbone to do anything means we probably will see a SimCity-esque launch.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Anyone want to bet real money that next week the 'Xbox One Impressions' comic will be the exact same comic only with 'XB1' and 'Xbox 360' replaced using strikethrough, and a drawing of the XB1 photoshopped over the PS4?

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
I've never been a Sony guy either way. I bought a used PS1 for 20 bucks about a year ago. That's about the extent of my experience with consoles outside of Nintendo's; a company that, though perhaps not as glorious as it once was, has a decent track record with backwards compatibility.

For what it's worth, I'd imagine PS4 will get sufficient momentum going once a few worthwhile games come out. The 3DS had an awful launch. Lo and behold, it's now got one of the best and most diverse libraries on the market. Heck, we even saw something similar with the PS3.

I think Brentalfloss put it quite elegantly...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIJmGj4g-s

... And lo and behold, his hypothesis has been proven!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcrMpNr1V68

Kecunk

Feb 8, 2011
I still have a ps2 and ps3 that still run perfectly so I can honestly say I don't give a damn about backwards compatibility.

the whole thing is kinda silly if you ask me, I mean as far as I can remember the only home console to ever have any real backwards compatibility with no significant issues was the playstation 2, 1 console (not counting handhelds here) now people act like its some kind of industry standard that they're entitled to.

Im really sorry you can throw out all your old consoles now because the new one came out but im sure if you really care about the games you'll find some room for them.

Oh my bad I forgot the wii mainly because I don't really care about the wii

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
This is the reason I'm not getting one for another 6 months to a year. There'll be games on it then

Apr 24, 2008
Is this actually clever, or funny, or... Anything really? I can't tell where the entertainment is supposed to be stemming from.

Backwards compatibility would be a laudable feature but I wouldn't expect it as a given. The ps3 actually does a very adequate job of playing ps3 games. So if you already have one to run those ps3 games you own... You're not in need of a solution.

I'll keep mine until I'm bored of my ps3 games, then I'll give it away.