PS4 Launch Titles are (Surprisingly) not getting good reviews

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
In a sudden and Surprising turn of events, a number of PS4 Exclusives are getting mediocre to terrible reviews. Knack, a platformer exclusive to the PS4 which was meant to for kids, currently averages a 59 On Metacritic [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/knack], with GameInformer giving it it's highest score of 83, and Joystiq giving the worst score of 30. Now, one can argue that since Knack was new and since no one had really been able to play it, these kinds of reviews weren't necessarily surprising for Knack. However, what is surprising is the main highlight of the PS4 Launch; Killzone: Shadow Fall. That's right, even Killzone: Shadow Fall is getting mixed reception from major Game Reviews; Scoring an average of 74 [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/killzone-shadow-fall]. By Contrast, the previous game in the series, Killzone 3, Got an 84 from Proffesional Reviewers [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/killzone-3], 10 points higher then K:SF.

So what do you think? Do you think that maybe Sony rushed the Playstation 4 and their games? Do you think these Reviewers might be wrong or unimportant, and that people should still get these games? Share your thoughts!

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Suprising? lol no, remember every other launch titles? Yeah, those really were the pinnacle of their respective consoles...

The smart thing here would be not being a complete idiot and wait for about 2 years after release to get the console cheaper with a better variety of cheaper games and actual games that were intended to be more then tech demos (and avoid the typical bugs and glitches of the system).

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I played the Knack demo at a convention and it was garbage. Not surprising at all. Doing anything in the game felt unbelievably slow and clunky.

Launch games, let's be honest, are usually kind of bad. It just seems like reviewers are being more honest about it this time around.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
As long as Infamous: Second Son is good then I can live with these two games being bad.

Killzone was never that great of a game, just had amazing grpahics. I've never even heard of knack. But then again I'm not planning on buying any of these consoles anytime soon and will just wait until we get more games and bug fixes.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
In what world is a 74 a bad game? If a game that I'm interested in has a score like 74 then it tells me that I should still check it out.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
So why did so many pre-order a PS4 knowing that launch titles suck?
Because they are idiots that need to have the new shiny gadget. There are still a shitload of games coming to this gen, some even exclusive like Dark Souls 2 or Gran Turismo 6.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
How is that surprising? It's an entirely new system after 8 years and launch exclusives are nothing new or exciting. Knack wasn't even that hyped and no one cared for it, and Killzone is jut another sci-fi FPS that's not even a new IP. You need a lot better than that to launch a next-gen console. Even though I prefer the PS4 as a system, the Xbone has a stronger lineup of launch titles. That's just a fact.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
josemlopes said:
WeepingAngels said:
Because they are idiots that need to have the new shiny gadget. There are still a shitload of games coming to this gen, some even exclusive like Dark Souls 2 or Gran Turismo 6.
Right... Because no one should buy a launch console, so it can burn... People do realize that SOMEONE needs to buy a console at launch. If no one did, it would die... Do people not understand this?

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
I agree with Hazy992, a metacritic score of 74 is not bad at all. In reality its probably a realistic score for a game when lately it seems everything is either a 10 or a 2.

First party titles are usually not the same quality as games a year or two down the road from a system launch, but Killzone played quite well when I got to fiddle with it, so if you are a fan of the series you will most likely enjoy this game.

I have not been looking to much into Knack mainly because I am not to interested in it at this time. Crash Bandicoot style aside, I am looking for something a bit more viseral and violent in my first couple of titles on PS4

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Korten12 said:
Right... Because no one should buy a launch console, so it can burn... People do realize that SOMEONE needs to buy a console at launch. If no one did, it would die... Do people not understand this?
I understand that, so I'm picking one up tomorrow at midnight. I like the direction that Sony seems to be heading in, and while the launch seems like it will be a little rough I'm confident I won't regret the investment down the line. But according to some people that makes me an idiot.

Killzone will be fine even if it just a prettier version of games I've played before, and Battlefield 4 will tide me over until some of the real substantial games start coming out next year. I'm not leaving my PS3 behind, because I'm still going to get free games for it from PS Plus, and there are a bunch of games still coming out for it.

All in all I see a lot of good gaming in my future.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Launch games are always not great.

Knack had 'show off next-gen tech' written all over it from the moment footage was released. And Killzone is... well, it's Killzone; It only exists because Halo exists (a title that itself has fallen out of grace). Every new console goes through this.

The first game I'll be playing on the PS4 is probably Assassin's Creed 4 anyway.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Ponyholder said:
50 is an average game. 59 is slightly above average. 74 is a good game score.

What in the hell has gone wrong with everyone thinking that a 74 is a bad game? These aren't GREAT games, but they are *good*. That is what those scores tell us.

I want to slap you for thinking 74 is a bad score. Seriously, come here so I can pull on your ear and slap you. Damn I feel old now.

@Jimothy Sterling, Get in here and yell at these people!
For most people it works like this...

0 - 49 - Worse than Hitler, 50 - 59 - Literally Hitler, 60 - 69 - Bad, 70 - 79 is meh, 80 - 89 - Decent, 90 - 100 - Good/Amazing.

A bit extreme with the lower numbers but it's sort of become like that.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Ponyholder said:
Mr.Mattress said:
In a sudden and Surprising turn of events, a number of PS4 Exclusives are getting mediocre to terrible reviews. Knack, a platformer exclusive to the PS4 which was meant to for kids, currently averages a 59 On Metacritic [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/knack], with GameInformer giving it it's highest score of 83, and Joystiq giving the worst score of 30. Now, one can argue that since Knack was new and since no one had really been able to play it, these kinds of reviews weren't necessarily surprising for Knack. However, what is surprising is the main highlight of the PS4 Launch; Killzone: Shadow Fall. That's right, even Killzone: Shadow Fall is getting mixed reception from major Game Reviews; Scoring an average of 74 [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/killzone-shadow-fall]. By Contrast, the previous game in the series, Killzone 3, Got an 84 from Proffesional Reviewers [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/killzone-3], 10 points higher then K:SF.

So what do you think? Do you think that maybe Sony rushed the Playstation 4 and their games? Do you think these Reviewers might be wrong or unimportant, and that people should still get these games? Share your thoughts!
50 is an average game. 59 is slightly above average. 74 is a good game score.

What in the hell has gone wrong with everyone thinking that a 74 is a bad game? These aren't GREAT games, but they are *good*. That is what those scores tell us.

I want to slap you for thinking 74 is a bad score. Seriously, come here so I can pull on your ear and slap you. Damn I feel old now.

@Jimothy Sterling, Get in here and yell at these people!
Except people don't see 50 as an average. I postulate this s largely due to most of the world's education institutions grading systems being instilled in us from birth.

Around here if you get a 49 in a class you've failed and have to do it over again. Thus we see a 50 as more or less basically a failure. Anything less than 50 doesn't matter because an F is an F. Most people here would view 70 - 75 as about an average.

I'm not saying it's sensible or logical to equate school grades with game scores, but I'm pretty sure most people do it without even thinking about it.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
They're launch titles, of course they aren't going to be received well. Which console has had a good start/decent launch titles? I've heard that the Dreamcast did but we all know how that turned out.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Does anyone remember Kameo : Elements of Power?

Didn't think so.

One gets the impression that launch titles are either multiplats or just there to plug the gap between the first big releases. Bit flawed, really.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Korten12 said:
josemlopes said:
WeepingAngels said:
...or maybe companies would realize that they shouldn't launch until they have a good launch lineup. You're probably right though, consoles makers would rather throw in the towel.

Pink Gregory said:
Does anyone remember Kameo : Elements of Power?

Didn't think so.

One gets the impression that launch titles are either multiplats or just there to plug the gap between the first big releases. Bit flawed, really.
I remember Kameo, tried several times to play the damn thing. Terrible game.