PS4 Launch Titles are (Surprisingly) not getting good reviews

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"Your job is to rate games on a scale from '70' to '100'".

"What if I don't like them?"

"That's what '74' is for".

OT: Seriously, is this how people see game review scores? Over 70 is not bad by any means. In University it would be a 'First'.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Silvanus said:
"Your job is to rate games on a scale from '70' to '100'".

"What if I don't like them?"

"That's what '74' is for".

OT: Seriously, is this how people see game review scores? Over 70 is not bad by any means. In University it would be a 'First'.
In the wise words of my sister, who has a Bachelor's Degree in Sociology with a Minor in Criminal Justice says, C's get degrees. So it's really sad when I see that people consider a 74 to be bad. It's like they have my unrealistic standards for grading. XD

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
As long as Infamous is good I don't really care. I'll probably get Killzone eventually anyway, 74 is still a decent score.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
A platformer designed to appeal to kids and being reviewed by adults, and one of the endless sequels of whichever genero-shooter got middling reviews (allegedly, enough people have posted contrary now). Clearly the console is doomed to whatever abyss the Virtual Boy and 3DO are rotting away in.

Dinosorcerer

Sep 5, 2013
kind of surprised to see some posters bashing critics for saying shit about killzone's story. in an era where we are trying to convince people that games are an acceptable form of art (something that many people outside of the gaming community don't even know is happening. no, seriously, talk to someone who isn't a gamer about it and they probably won't know what the hell you're talking about), I believe that it is in our best interest to actually look at things like story. honestly, I will give killzone no quarter on this one. they know the problems with their story (or they damn well should buy now) and they have chosen to ignore this problem in favor of turning out the same cookie-cutter shit each time. i wouldn't even mind it if the story was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. but it isn't everybody plays it completely straight, British space nazis? yep. everything makes sense here. I feel sorry for all of the people who have to put effort into that franchise to see it turn into a bland game.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Jump to a few months from now when (once again) metacritic is garbage, review scores mean nothing and it's a cardinal sin to judge games before having actually played them.

Sure the PS4 launch exclusives aren't collectively blowing minds, but I'm not really sure why all of a sudden "low" metacritic averages are a sign of the apocalypse.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Church185 said:
Korten12 said:
Right... Because no one should buy a launch console, so it can burn... People do realize that SOMEONE needs to buy a console at launch. If no one did, it would die... Do people not understand this?
I understand that, so I'm picking one up tomorrow at midnight. I like the direction that Sony seems to be heading in, and while the launch seems like it will be a little rough I'm confident I won't regret the investment down the line. But according to some people that makes me an idiot.
Ditto. I will be picking up the PS4 on Friday morning and while I have a workstation PC it would be a nice diversion while I am rendering animations and am short on books.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Hazy992 said:
In what world is a 74 a bad game? If a game that I'm interested in has a score like 74 then it tells me that I should still check it out.
that was my first thought too. hell if a launch title got a 70% then that's the one you want to get as most launch titles are ,as someone else said, garbage.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
WeepingAngels said:
hazabaza1 said:
Mediocre to terrible is... 74 and 59. Scores which indicate "Pretty good" and "above average".

Even so, not that surprising. Did any console have a positive launch?
If you want to count the SNES with Super Mario World and the N64 with Super Mario 64 then yes. Of course, it still makes me wonder about people who pre-ordered knowing the launch games were going to be crap.

Wish I had an extra $400+ laying around to waste on game hardware without worthy games.
I wouldn't consider 74 a crap game, nor do I care what reviewers think. Then again I play ArmA far more than most games and alot of players don't like ArmA. I'm sick of people treating opinions like fact and anyone that likes something with a metric score less that 90% like idiots for wasting their money.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
this is why you should not care about meta critic I mean 80 is a good score and honestly launch titles are never the best

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013

Truly, surely people understand what the damn rating system means?

No? ok...

Just gonna post this for those who don't understand:

"When will people realize that a 7 out of 10 does not mean it's a shitty ass game. It just means above average, better than mediocre. Even if it got a 6 out of 10 it's still a decent game. Once you go below 5 then it's a game below standards. People obsessing with game scores need to calm the fuck down because a game they like is not going to please everyone and it's not the end of the world if it gets a few moderately bad scores."

Boogie Knight

Oct 17, 2011
The use of numbers was always arbitrary, it's not like a game gave incorrect answers versus another which left them blank.

Launch titles are never part of the equation for a console choice to me. They never get it right out of the gate. I probably will hold off for two years before I give in, if possible.

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Mediocre to terrible is... 74 and 59. Scores which indicate "Pretty good" and "above average".

Believe it or not, the Gamecube, seriously.
Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2
Super Monkey Ball
Luigi's Mansion
a solid port of Crazy Taxi
Wave Race Blue Storm
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 (just before the series went downhill)

While non of these were the legend that super mario 64 on the N64 was, they are all fondly remembered and teh general consensus is that all of these hold up remarkably well to this day.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
josemlopes said:
Suprising? lol no, remember every other launch titles? Yeah, those really were the pinnacle of their respective consoles...

The smart thing here would be not being a complete idiot and wait for about 2 years after release to get the console cheaper with a better variety of cheaper games and actual games that were intended to be more then tech demos (and avoid the typical bugs and glitches of the system).
That's what I do - I can't think of any logical reason to buy a system when it first comes out. There are almost no games for it and you pay top dollar.

The only reason I can see is as it being an equivalent to waving your dick in someone's face and being smug.

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
hazabaza1 said:

Believe it or not, the Gamecube, seriously.
Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2
Super Monkey Ball
Luigi's Mansion
a solid port of Crazy Taxi
Wave Race Blue Storm
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 (just before the series went downhill)

While non of these were the legend that super mario 64 on the N64 was, they are all fondly remembered and teh general consensus is that all of these hold up remarkably well to this day.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
josemlopes said:
Suprising? lol no, remember every other launch titles? Yeah, those really were the pinnacle of their respective consoles...
Oh come on, Smugglers run was a great game, and to this day it represents the absolute finest in video game racing.

OT: This isn't surprising in the least. The first games out of the gate are rarely above mediocre. Now if you'll excuse me I have a very busy schedule of not giving a shit about the next generation!

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaah, not too impressed by the launch titles either.

I mean, Killzone was never really my thing, and Knack looks like it would be fun for about an hour, but every other exclusive (except for Resogun, Blacklight, and Warframe) looks pretty subpar.

Now, let me just be frank here by saying I'm primarily getting a PS4 for a few games, and one of them is Battlefield 4. The graphics look nice, and I keep hearing people say DICE went back to the Bad Company 2 style of destruction (Bad Company 2 being my favorite multiplayer shooter), I was too excited. The maps that come out of the box look nice and varied, and I can't wait to see the "levolution" for myself, even though people keep saying that it ruins the verticality of the gameplay.

I'm also planing on picking it up with Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag because it looks more faithful to the series than AC3 ever was. AC3 was atrocious. And that extra graphical power doesn't hurt.

And then it all comes down to InFamous: Second Son in the end. I'm a big Sucker Punch fan, and the InFamous series is one of personal favorites. The gameplay looks so smooth in SS, and the acquisition of more than 2 types of powers looks promising, especially when you have to manage multiple resources in order to use them. (Absorb smoke to use smoke powers, drain neon to use neon powers, etc.) The game also looks beautiful. Like whoa. You can say Killzone: Shadow Fall looks nice, and it does, but compared to the art direction in SS, it just falls flat.

InFamous, and a bunch of indie titles, are what's selling the system for me. Octodad, Mercenary Kings, and Transistor all look great, and I can't wait to play them.

BUT I HAVE TO WAIT TO PLAY THEM AND WAITING IS NOT GOOD.

Boo.

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
The first title of a series on a new console are virtually always mechanically inferior to sequels on the same console (unless the devs go batshit insane). So not really a big surprise that some of them are getting poor reviews when there's very little innovation on the actual console front.

Apr 28, 2008
Launch titles are rather mediocre with maybe one or two decent games?

I'm acting astonished.

Seriously, it was the same with the 360/PS3. Like two decent launch games, the rest were meh. PS3 had Resistance 1 and Moterstorm. 360 had Viva Piñata and... um... Kameo? I guess? That King Kong movie-tie in game wasn't too terrible either. Think most people just ended up playing Halo 2 on it for a while after realizing that Perfect Dark was ass, though.

EDIT: Ok, seems I messed up. Viva Piñata wasn't a launch title. This means the "highlights" of the 360's launch lineup was that King Kong tie-in and Kameo. Unless I'm wrong about those being launch titles too.