PS4 Online Multiplayer Requires PS+ Subscription

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
PS4 Online Multiplayer Requires PS+ Subscription

Similar to how Xbox Live Gold currently works, users will require a PlayStation Plus subscription (around $5 a month) to play PS4 games online.

Nestled among all the taking-names [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124815-PS4-Will-Not-Block-Used-Games-or-Require-an-Online-Connection] of Sony's E3 press conference was a tiny little of bad news that was shown and brushed aside so quickly, you would be forgiven for missing it entirely. It appears that Sony will be following competitor Microsoft and forcing a PlayStation Plus subscription on gamers who want to play PS4 games online. PlayStation Plus currently costs around $5 a month, which is roughly the same as an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

The little nugget of disappointment was literally buried in the fine-print of the hilarious used game instructional video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124817-PlayStation-4-Game-Sharing-This-Is-How-Its-Done]. If you squint at 0:12 in, you'll see the following statement:

"The forgoing instructional video applies only to disc-based games. PS4 Multiplayer online access requires PSN account and PS plus subscription"

It's worth noting that you will not require PlayStation Plus to watch Netflix, and it will continue to offer the current PlayStation Plus benefits such as free games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124562-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Goes-Free-On-PlayStation-Plus]. If you're already a PlayStation Plus subscriber, your membership will carry over from the PS3 and PSVita to the PS4.

It is a little harsh to be calling this "bad news", considering that Sony's main rival Microsoft has been doing this for years, but it is the one little scratch that tarnishes Sony's otherwise flawless press conference. Also, the benefits of PlayStation Plus are nothing to scoff at. Sony isn't offering the bottom of the bargain bin for its free game catalog, but new releases and best sellers like XCOM and Uncharted 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.410016-PS-Plus-Adding-Uncharted-3-XCOM-Enemy-Unknown].

Thanks Reddit! [http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1g3e27/from_official_ps_video_psn_required_for_online/]

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
That sucks :/ You'd have thought Sony would have left it as free as it would have been another selling point over Microsoft.

At least they're not gating services that I already fucking paid for behind it.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Hazy992 said:
That sucks :/ You'd have thought Sony would have left it as free as it would have been another selling point over Microsoft.

The thing is, though, that even though they're taking that step to do that, you still get all of the freebies and discounts that came along with it on the PS3. If anything, they one-upped Microsoft again on that front. The only thing that MS can do on that front is match Sony's deal; which, given current circumstances, is highly unlikely due to the amount of anti-consumerism attitude they've taken with the XBone.

Not to mention that:

It's worth noting that you will not require PlayStation Plus to watch Netflix, and it will continue to offer the current PlayStation Plus benefits such as free games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124562-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Goes-Free-On-PlayStation-Plus]. If you're already a PlayStation Plus subscriber, your membership will carry over from the PS3 and PSVita to the PS4.

Also, the benefits of PlayStation Plus are nothing to scoff at. Sony isn't offering the bottom of the bargain bin for its free game catalog, but new releases and best sellers like XCOM and Uncharted 3.
And you know something else? I'd rather throw money at this practice rather than what MS offers. Sony just gained this consumer's attention and money, should the good news continue.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Honestly, I'm not that bothered by this news. I mean yea it sucks what was once free we now have to pay for. But I've already been subscribed to MMOs in the past at 15 bucks a month. 5 a month is like what? One less lunch you can order out at a McDonald's or something? The rest of the services are still there as far as I can tell. The ability to buy DLC, play movies and so on.

The 5 bucks a month will hopefully go towards making sure Sony's servers run smoothly and efficiently. Not to mention it does give discounts and occasional free swag. You needed to pay Microsoft just to be able to access the online store. Sure they might be doing some promotions now, but only to make it as tempting as being a Plus member, but I still think you get a better deal this way.

And if you don't like to play online games, and never plan to. It's no skin off your nose. You still have access to the basic utilities.

All things considered, if this is the worst thing that has come out in regards to Sony and the PS4, they got off fairly easy compared to Microsoft.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
It's a much better deal than Xbox live that's for sure.

Unfortunately, I chose my one console this generation to be the PS3 because it didn't require payments for me to use my own internet connection.

Guess I'll just go all PC, unless the WiiU amazes me with some games.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
While it is still better than the XBone, it's a bad idea. Free online play would be the final nail in MS's coffin for a lot of people. One of the reasons I got sick of the Xbox 360 was having to pay for Live (all the while being flooded with advertisements).

Although the monthly free games is still an excellent bonus.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Oh well. Was hoping they avoided that, but apparently they didn't. Well, you know what the say: can't let the perfect stop the good. And Sony is doing a hell of a lot of good, in spite of this. :p

Dec 14, 2009
If it functions like PS+ currently works, then users should get a load of free games to play every month.

So it's already better than XBL, which gives you the bare minimum, and still fucks you in the face with advertising.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Hazy992 said:

The thing is, though, that even though they're taking that step to do that, you still get all of the freebies and discounts that came along with it on the PS3. If anything, they one-upped Microsoft again on that front. The only thing that MS can do on that front is match Sony's deal; which, given current circumstances, is highly unlikely due to the amount of anti-consumerism attitude they've taken with the XBone.

Not to mention that:

Also, the benefits of PlayStation Plus are nothing to scoff at. Sony isn't offering the bottom of the bargain bin for its free game catalog, but new releases and best sellers like XCOM and Uncharted 3.
And you know something else? I'd rather throw money at this practice rather than what MS offers. Sony just gained this consumer's attention and money, should the good news continue.
Yeah it seems like they've basically outdone MS again anyway, and I already have PS+ because it nets so much content at what amounts to a vastly reduced price anyway (I am aware that the freebies go if you unsub, but I have no plans to unsub).

Seems fair I guess, provided they dont start charging for crap like netflix andyoutube. Or flooding the OS with friggin ads.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Hazy992 said:

That's true but I'd still rather that be an option. The base online mutliplayer should still be free.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Jan 5, 2011
Hazy992 said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Hazy992 said:

That's true but I'd still rather that be an option. The base online mutliplayer should still be free.
A fair point, and one I can't really argue against. However, all things considered, I say, though that is somewhat of a downgrade, it's still not much of a blemish against Sony and the PS4. Especially when compared to their competitors.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Well can't have it all I guess.
I did not subscribe to XBL and it will be hard to sell PSN+ to me.

CrazyCapnMorgan said:
The only thing that MS can do on that front is match Sony's deal; which, given current circumstances, is highly unlikely due to the amount of anti-consumerism attitude they've taken with the XBone.
Well MS did add free games to the XBL Gold subscription. As I understand the MS conference you will get two selected free games per month when you subscribed to XBL Gold.
So they did that already.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Hrmm...5 bucks a month isn't horrible. And getting free games each month is nice. Still grates a little having to play multiplayer though.

Eh, I guess I primarily play single player games, anyway, so I probably can live without. If there's something that has multiplayer that I have to have, odds are it'll have a PC release I can get, anyway.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
I don't like the idea of having to pay for multiplayer, but I guess getting free games sweetens the deal, which is a lot better than what MS is offering (plus it's apparently cheaper). Get more for less? Why not.

Hmm. That's probably their way of making paying for multiplayer seem more appealing when it really shouldn't be, since I imagine that if they separated paying for 'free' games (it makes sense in my head, shut up) and paying for multiplayer, this would have been taken a lot worse.

Oh well. At least for Sony, this is 'just' a disadvantage and something to be taken into consideration when buying a PS4, rather than yet another nail in the coffin a la FREAKING EVERYTHING about the Xbone.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
PS+ is a good deal for those that subscribe, I just wish they weren't forcing people to subscribe to it. But, considering all the other things their doing right, and how the service is pretty freaking good itself, I'd put this as a minor black mark against them.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Ah well. You win some you lose some I guess. At least you'll still get all the discounts and stuff. I think it's really quite telling that we can look at everything Sony's doing in an overwhelmingly positive light as we seem to be doing. What does that say about how everything else is looking?

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Hazy992 said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Hazy992 said:

A fair point, and one I can't really argue against. However, all things considered, I say, though that is somewhat of a downgrade, it's still not much of a blemish against Sony and the PS4. Especially when compared to their competitors.
Oh absolutely, it's still a damn site better value than Xbox Live. PS Plus doesn't gate third party services I've already paid for behind another paywall. That alone is a step up.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
True that they're linking PSN+ to the multi-player functions. So PSN+ is going to function similar to XBL. Differences being; free games, beta access, free themes, and game discounts. Since I've already been enjoying Plus I really don't see a problem. Hardly a deal breaker and won't dissuade me from singing praise of the new system. They're not blocking online connectivity, just the multiplayer game aspect. Single player (which I do more often) is safe and sound.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Jan 5, 2011
Ishigami said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
The only thing that MS can do on that front is match Sony's deal; which, given current circumstances, is highly unlikely due to the amount of anti-consumerism attitude they've taken with the XBone.
Well MS did add free games to the XBL Gold subscription. As I understand the MS conference you will get two selected free games per month when you subscribed to XBL Gold.
So they did that already.
See my bolded part? With PS+, I can select whatever I want from Sony's free catalog (hint: more than two) and download them. I'm not restricted in that regard. So, even in attempting to mimic Sony's PS services, they can't get that correct.

So far, Microsoft's lost and lost hard.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Eh, it's annoying but understandable.
Everything else they've done so far has been perfect so excusing something as understandable as this is nothing.