PS4 Sells 2.1 Million Units Worldwide

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
PS4 Sells 2.1 Million Units Worldwide

That figure includes 700,000 consoles sold in Europe and Australasia.

It's been a good launch for Sony so far, and it has announced total PS4 sales of 2.1 million worldwide, as of December 1st. So far, 700,000 units have been sold throughout Europe and Australasia since November 29th, and by this point Sony's new console is available in 32 countries all over the globe.

"PS4 delivered the best launch in PlayStation history with the North American release and we've continued this incredibly successful start in Europe, Australasia and Latin America," says Sony's Andrew House.

"Demand remains incredibly strong and continues to overwhelm the supply worldwide, but we are diligently working to meet those growing demands and to deliver additional PS4 units to our retail partners throughout the holiday season."

The European sales figures should come as no surprise; we already know it's doing phenomenal business in the suffered outages [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130146-PS4-Becomes-UKs-Fastest-Selling-Gaming-System], now all those new machines are trying to access the network. PSN problems may persist throughout the holiday period.

Will there be enough supply to meet holiday demand? Well, Sony thinks so [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129780-PS4-Supply-Will-be-Sufficient-For-The-Holidays-Says-Sony-Exec], and it's forecasting 5 million PS4 sales by next March. Just another 2.9 million to go, and with Christmas very near, it's looking as though Sony's expectations will be met.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/03/sony-ps4-sales-rise-to-2-1-million-700k-sold-in-europe-austr/#continued]

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
If the PS4 does reach its 5 million units goal by March that will complete the book that the other two companies need to read call "How to Not Mess Up a Console Launch."

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
If the PS4 does reach its 5 million units goal by March that will complete the book that the other two companies need to read call "How to Not Mess Up a Console Launch."
You mean the book that has only one sentence: "say you won't do stupid shit the other guy did and launch with 2 mediocre games"?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I here I thought the 3 million by the end of the year estimates were a little unbelievable, this is crazy.

And it still is yet to be released in Sough East Asia and Japan.

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
munx13 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
You mean the book that has only one sentence: "say you won't do stupid shit the other guy did and launch with 2 mediocre games"?
Then how do you explain the WiiU?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
An yet Sony still could have done better. Not that they really needed to.

Ed130 said:
"You must make sure your console launches with more than 2 worthwhile games."

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Ed130 said:
munx13 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I guess just add "also don't count on grandmas and soccer-moms to buy your next piece of hardware"

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Sooo 1 million in North America within the first 24 hours, 2.1 million after European and Australia launches (still haven't picked mine up, they're out til shipments next year. I talked to a friend of mine working in retail, Xbone is still in stock. And that console sold 1 million in 24 hours after a worldwide launch. Go figure.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
It seems that Sony has well and truly learned from it's mistakes. That alone would be great news but hearing the PS4 constantly pay off for them is incredible. I can't wait to pick up a PS4 myself, though my current financial situation will probably keep me from doing so until it drops in price in a year or two.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Dreadman75 said:
It seems that Sony has well and truly learned from it's mistakes. That alone would be great news but hearing the PS4 constantly pay off for them is incredible. I can't wait to pick up a PS4 myself, though my current financial situation will probably keep me from doing so until it drops in price in a year or two.
Sony didn't learn anything, they basically did nothing. I mean, MS went ahead with their 'vision' and people hated them for that. Sony capitalized on that mistake by saying their console won't require always on connection and games won't be tied to your psn id and that was enough to win. As for the console itself launch titles are bad as always, and we will still have to wait, for at least a year, before any worthwhile games come out.

Make no mistake sony will still maintain their harsh policies regarding modding and if that story about every xbone being a dev kit will end up well MS may have the upper hand in the future.

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
james.sponge said:
Dreadman75 said:
Sony didn't learn anything, they basically did nothing. I mean, MS went ahead with their 'vision' and people hated them for that. Sony capitalized on that mistake by saying their console won't require always on connection and games won't be tied to your psn id and that was enough to win. As for the console itself launch titles are bad as always, and we will still have to wait, for at least a year, before any worthwhile games come out.

Make no mistake sony will still maintain their harsh policies regarding modding and if that story about every xbone being a dev kit will end up well MS may have the upper hand in the future.
Read the next article on The Escapist.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130172-Your-Xbox-One-Can-Be-A-Dev-Kit-Microsoft-Says-Please-Dont-Do-It

It appears that only game devs can get the Sandbox ID, at least for now.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
james.sponge said:
Dreadman75 said:

Microsoft having its 'vision' does not mean Sony didn't learn anything.

In fact its Microsoft who didn't learn from its mistake (until it was little too late).

That Orth guy's (or w/e the name is) twitter controversy should have been a warning sign for Microsoft to think: "maybe going with always online is not such a great idea."

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
james.sponge said:
Dreadman75 said:

On the contrary, their understanding of what the opinions of their target market are has substantially improved since the PS3 launch. It's not just about not following Microsoft down to a PR disaster; they also made sure to correct every mistake they made back in the last generation, making a console smaller and sleeker, the controller MUCH better, and crucially making the price point reasonable ("five hundred and ninety-nine US dollars" probably still haunts Kaz's dreams).

Furthermore, the dev kit part won't sell consoles. The market is different from PC gamers, and 99.9% of console gamers don't care about making their own mods or games. Remember, the Ouya was marketed as completely open to modding and hacking... And that hasn't exactly set the world on fire, hasn't it?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
And the news keeps banging on about recessions and people feeling the pinch of inflated prices, but seriously, that many already? Its not even launched in Japan yet either, that'll add a million or so more perhaps. Plus the people like 2 of my mates who ordered their console late and are still waiting to pay for it. Pretty impressive.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I love my ps4 like a fat kid loves cake but my golly gosh do the games suck a fattie!

Kill zone is a little second rate. War planes (or some such) has awful controls. Resogun is pretty and meh (pretty meh, huehuehue). I don't think the cross generation games won't be as good as just generation exclusive

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Simalacrum said:
james.sponge said:
Dreadman75 said:

On the contrary, their understanding of what the opinions of their target market are has substantially improved since the PS3 launch. It's not just about not following Microsoft down to a PR disaster; they also made sure to correct every mistake they made back in the last generation, making a console smaller and sleeker, the controller MUCH better, and crucially making the price point reasonable ("five hundred and ninety-nine US dollars" probably still haunts Kaz's dreams).

Furthermore, the dev kit part won't sell consoles. The market is different from PC gamers, and 99.9% of console gamers don't care about making their own mods or games. Remember, the Ouya was marketed as completely open to modding and hacking... And that hasn't exactly set the world on fire, hasn't it?
I agree on the price point :D

I think they reason why people generally don't care about console mods it's because previously it's been reserved to tech-savy guys, who really knew what they were doing. If these things were much more accessible and open who knows what would happen? As for Ouya don't forget, Ouya was never an established brand and it didn't have your CoDs, Battlefields, GTAs, Skyrims, Dark Souls etc. Anyway, only the time will tell us what it will end :p