PS4 Trumps Xbox One in Gameplay Capture Length

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
mixadj said:
....With all this constant writing to the Hard Drive I wonder how fast Drives will crap out this generation. We might have red ring levels of storage failure a year in to this next generation on both sides.....
Nah, modern hard disks are absolutely built for heavy use and constant running, while drawing less power and being as green as they can without negatively impacting their own durability, except for the lead free solder which still stinks. Shouldn't be an issue as long as the box they're run in doesn't run hot all the time. It's a heat-triggered fail.

So, no, I wouldn't expect many hard drives to fail. As long as they are proper hard drives and not SSDs, life should be peachy.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
seditary said:
Um, with all the always on microphone malarkey, won't that mean a lot of 'Kinect Record' getting shouted down to everyone in games?
It will inevitably lead to XBone games being presented in 28 second portions, with the game itself shouting 'KINECT RECORD' every time something interesting is about to happen.

All hail the new style.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Actually, I know a lot of Let's Play's that will last for a full 30 mins., rendering the point of capture length moot. In the end, if you're doing a Let's Play, you should definitely get a capture card or at least hook the console to a PC for recording. 5 mins. is actually plenty in terms of most situations involving spontaneous capture.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So the Xbone has a stamina problem. Maybe their chums at the NSA could lend a hand and let users download their footage? Is there any news on the quality that each box record in? PS4 might record for longer but if it looks like ass it means little.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I still dislike this whole idea of capturing right off the console. Its just going to saturate the already over-saturated lets-play market. Also, lets not forget about the possibilities of legal strikes among lets-plays that will likely happen eventually.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
Revolutionary said:
15 minutes wow that's almost a full match online. :p
In other news PC still the superior platform.
Also sun rises.
Yeah, as proven by the glorious Sim City debacle and a $700 dollar PC that just might manage a slightly better graphical upgrade than these consoles are pairing up to be.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
uchytjes said:
I still dislike this whole idea of capturing right off the console. Its just going to saturate the already over-saturated lets-play market. Also, lets not forget about the possibilities of legal strikes among lets-plays that will likely happen eventually.
But this is so perfect for fighting games! there's no denying that.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Jadak said:
Josh12345 said:
MS's idea on the other hand... well great multiplayer moments happen when you don't expect them to, they're random, so by the time you shout ''KINECT RECORD!'' the moment may be gone.
I doubt it will take you 5 minutes to shout record...

Still, I love the fact that MS's response doesn't even apply to the Kinect features that actually stand out, you know, the whole movement recognition thing that it's known for. Instead, they've basically gone with taking advantage of the 100$, mandatory accessory and referring to their advantage as "We have a microphone!!". Great.

As for the actual differences. Depends what people are using it for. I doubt I'll bother either way. For anyone recording entire games I doubt either is sufficient on it's own, but both will fine so long as you record frequently, and both are perfectly fine for the saving of standalone 'moments'. So doubt it really makes much of a difference, particularly if they provide options to autosave repeatedely when you know you're doing some longer.
Actually it's 30 seconds when you yell record to record a moment that has just passed. Still sounds interesting the features, the big question which wont be answered until released is how often they will be used. I look forward to seeing the results either way :)

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Both reasonably pitiful, but one at least good for a single round in a fair few games. Honestly I'd prefer it not be HD and perhaps be able to capture a bit more.
What do they record in? 720p? I couldn't find the resolution in any of the links. If you were making any semi-serious video you'd probably want to avoid anything too much less than that. Although you are right: options never hurt anyone.

That said, I never record/edit anything ever, so my experience on the issue is completely limited to watching Let's Plays.

And hoooooly shit, the creative director at Microsoft shares my last name. That's a rarity. I did a double take.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Nah, this will be horrible for Let's Play or walkthrough videos. They often have to be edited because sometimes the person playing dies, or the need to re-record the players audio track. At most, this will be to show off those pointless YouTube clutter videos of CoD players scoring headshots.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Caiphus said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Both reasonably pitiful, but one at least good for a single round in a fair few games. Honestly I'd prefer it not be HD and perhaps be able to capture a bit more.
What do they record in? 720p? I couldn't find the resolution in any of the links. If you were making any semi-serious video you'd probably want to avoid anything too much less than that. Although you are right: options never hurt anyone.

That said, I never record/edit anything ever, so my experience on the issue is completely limited to watching Let's Plays.

And hoooooly shit, the creative director at Microsoft shares my last name. That's a rarity. I did a double take.
Good point, I didn't find any confirmation on the resolution either. But 15 minutes doesn't seem very long to me.

Leaper

Jun 3, 2009
Soxafloppin said:
This could be good for recording awesome combos in the next Arkham Game and showing off my superiority to friends! Yay.
I bet they can't wait to see that. Praise the forced social features on next gen consoles!

captainballsack

Feb 13, 2013
Yay.

Oh wait, nobody cares.

You see, the people who would actually make use of this feature for QUALITY content already own a capture card of some sort. This will bring nothing but exceptional piles of shit spamming the internet with the mediocrity we've already seen from the likes of shit like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D78lrXbflfY.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
squid5580 said:
hermes200 said:
15 minutes sounds decent enough, but 5 minutes is way too short. Most boss fights last a lot longer than 5 minutes. However, this feature will live or die based on the post recording options of each console:

- Will I be able to upload and view them on YouTube, twitch or any other service? Or just one service owned by MS or Sony?
- Will I be able to include voice-over? After effects? Concatenate different videos?
- Are there any editing tool incorporated in the console? If not, is it possible to copy the raw video to a USB drive to edit it on my PC? Is it going to use some proprietary codec or watermark?

I don't think that feature will pull me one way or another about my decision. Regardless of my choice, most likely I will try recording 1 or 2 videos before forgetting that feature even exists... However, the first company that can give a proper answer to those questions will make the difference between those that designed the feature since the beginning, and those who think of it as an afterthought.
I for 1 hope that it gets uploaded to a private MS/Sony site. What kind of impact would it have to upload millions of the same cutscenes, or the same boss fights with minor changes (oh he used a pistol while she used an smg) to Youtube? I can't see the benefits for anyone in this. Not while we are doing the same things in the same games
I am sure YouTube can handle million of videos with similar content being uploaded. After all, it has countless Gangnam Style and Harlem Shakes videos. I expect there will be a boom of content in the first few months and it will later stabilize, like the Facebook notifications about trophies.

Besides, to me, the only point in making those videos is sharing the content with friends. Show them my awesome fight with a humongous boss or my maxed out Elder Scrolls character. I am not interested in making video walkthrough series... Because of that, I don't like the idea of having to point out to yet another service to show that content when YouTube works and everyone uses it.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Can either of these be turned off? Cause I really could care less about posting (or the posts, to be honest), and don't want my hardware doing anything extra but pushing bits to my eyeballs.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I didn't realize this was that much of a desireable feature. But I'm more of the grumpy old man yelling at passing kids when it comes to gaming rather than someone who enjoys social aspects of it. So, to those of you who want this feature, get off my lawn.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
captainballsack said:
Yay.

Oh wait, nobody cares.

You see, the people who would actually make use of this feature for QUALITY content already own a capture card of some sort. This will bring nothing but exceptional piles of shit spamming the internet with the mediocrity we've already seen from the likes of shit like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D78lrXbflfY.
There is a problem with this though. Do you know what HDCP encryption is? Basically that prevents you from recording the console via its HDMI port and it is required to be implemented on anything that can play Bluray discs. Both the Xbox One and the PS4 only use HDMI ports as A/V is no longer supported so that already cuts out some people who have the older HD PVRs or Roxio capture cards since the earlier models didn't have any support for HDMI. However, the newer models support HDMI, but due to the encryption those of us who own the newer capture cards must buy more equipment in order to be able to record in the same quality we have been.
Luckily in this case there are no "special" variations on HDCP encryption as it is the same type of encryption on the PS3's HDMI port, but it's still a pain to have to buy the add-on peripherals just to be able to record the same again.

Caiphus said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
It's probably dependent on the current resolution you have your console set to so then it can record the most optimal format, sorta like how most HD capture cards auto detect based on the source resolution.
Having a 480p option would be nice, but since it's HDMI only for both consoles I suspect that the inputs are gonna be 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Adon Cabre said:
Revolutionary said:
15 minutes wow that's almost a full match online. :p
In other news PC still the superior platform.
Also sun rises.
Yeah, as proven by the glorious Sim City debacle and a $700 dollar PC that just might manage a slightly better graphical upgrade than these consoles are pairing up to be.
At least on PC there's choice about a simcity style debacle >< When (not if) MS and Sony decide it's time for always online, there's nothing console users can do about it. With Simcity, EA tried to pull some crp that didn't fly, the game didn't sell, people cracked it, ect.

Plus, if you want an example of the total opposite end of the spectrum, look up star citizen. Crowdfunded AAA gaming is coming (and very likely PC exclusive for the msot part due to cumbersome console distribution channels). It's going to be awesome sauce :D

Also, yay, finally someone gave a good estimation of a PC cost that someone would buy as a console alternative :D kudos to you for that. $700 is a decent price considering games are cheaper, more plentiful, and that PC can also do everything you can feasibly do with technology.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Sounds like resources that should be dedicated elsewhere, and 500gb isn't going to do you much good for HD 60fps recording, especially when you're installing games and DLC and more. This shooting back to the WiiU, slightly more powerful hardware than current systems, but is overall weaker due to having to dedicated system resources to other tasks (in the case of the WiiU streaming to the screen, and no no I'm not saying PS4/Xbone is weaker than current systems).

Why isn't the focus on the bloody games? Kinect, recording game footage, touch controls, isn't a games console focus supposed to be the bloody games? It's like buying a sports car and the dealer won't shut up about the rug and the door locks.

Capcha Corollanomics
What an irritating thing to type.