PS5 controller revealed.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
1,485
590
118
Country
United States
Yoshi178 said:
Gearran said:
Is it just me, or does every innovation they tout on this thing basically just something the Switch did three years ago? And the color scheme is very...

Oh gods.

Sony has become Apple.
it's not that shocking honestly. :3

Holy cherry-pick, Batman!
 

Yoshi178

New member
Aug 15, 2014
2,108
0
0
Phoenixmgs said:
Who invented the dual stick controller that everybody is still using today?
who invented the analogue stick in the first place? :3
 

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
4,691
0
0
Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Who invented the dual stick controller that everybody is still using today?
who invented the analogue stick in the first place? :3
Analog joysticks prior to the Nintendo 64 include those used by the Atari 5200, Sega's arcade systems, the Neo Geo CD analog stick in 1994, Sega's analog Mission Stick for the Saturn (which launched on September 29, 1995), and Sony's Analog Joystick. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_controller]
 

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
2,165
158
68
Oh good great fuck it begins again. Complete with smarmy ass :3 inclusion. YAY thread is now destroyed!
 

VG_Addict

New member
Jul 16, 2013
651
0
0
Yoshi178 said:
Gearran said:
Is it just me, or does every innovation they tout on this thing basically just something the Switch did three years ago? And the color scheme is very...

Oh gods.

Sony has become Apple.
it's not that shocking honestly. :3


Or on the other hand, there?s:

- The DualShock controller design with four shoulder buttons and dual analog sticks, which are still the standard on future consoles? controllers

- Spearheading the last three major disc formats to the forefront of game development, and to a large extent mainstream adoption

- Introduced the prospect of backwards compatibility for a console with PS2, even though they have fallen behind in that regard today

- The PS2 itself [https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/mar/04/sony-playstation-2-at-20-console-future-of-gaming]

- Programmable resistance on DS5 is an extension of the pressure-sensitive buttons introduced on the DS2

- The Share button, which was later adopted by Switch and the upcoming X1X

- PS5 will feature instant load times; a first for a disc-based console

- 3D audio [https://wccftech.com/sony-ps5-3d-audio-big-leap/]; another first for a console

Then of course there?s still other things [https://www.fastcompany.com/company/sony] beyond gaming.


The innovation found on the Switch controller is also simply picking up where the Wii left off. However, Sony?s is still different. [https://www.engadget.com/playstation-5-controller-dualsense-photos-202718532.html]
 

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
1,903
135
68
Elvis Starburst said:
Oh good great fuck it begins again. Complete with smarmy ass :3 inclusion. YAY thread is now destroyed!
Console war, console war never changes.
 

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
2,165
158
68
Yoshi178 said:
You guys are so easy to bait i swear LMAO!!!
I think if you feel the need to "bait" anyone then you should maybe reconsider the purpose of your posts in general
 

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
2,781
338
88
UK
hanselthecaretaker said:
I?m guessing the symbols for the face buttons, options, share create and d-pad with be backlit and you may even be able to customize the color for each button. The outlines are there so it would make sense for something to make use of them when the thing is turned on.
That would be nice, but im gonna go ahead and say "unlikely" on this one.

If this was a planned feature, it would either be mentioned in the blog post, or pictured in the images. Seems odd that the lightbar is on, and the buttons are not lit, if they are supposed to be. Even if this is a planned feature, and this is a prototype that isn't 100% working just yet - again, you would think they would either wait until it was 100% functional, at least visually, or they would just photoshop some LED effects onto it.

So yeah, its a no from me.
 

Yoshi178

New member
Aug 15, 2014
2,108
0
0
Elvis Starburst said:
Yoshi178 said:
You guys are so easy to bait i swear LMAO!!!
I think if you feel the need to "bait" anyone then you should maybe reconsider the purpose of your posts in general
but you guys in the Sony Defense Force at Escapist are so good at your job though! :3
 

VG_Addict

New member
Jul 16, 2013
651
0
0
Laggyteabag said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
I?m guessing the symbols for the face buttons, options, share create and d-pad with be backlit and you may even be able to customize the color for each button. The outlines are there so it would make sense for something to make use of them when the thing is turned on.
That would be nice, but im gonna go ahead and say "unlikely" on this one.

If this was a planned feature, it would either be mentioned in the blog post, or pictured in the images. Seems odd that the lightbar is on, and the buttons are not lit, if they are supposed to be. Even if this is a planned feature, and this is a prototype that isn't 100% working just yet - again, you would think they would either wait until it was 100% functional, at least visually, or they would just photoshop some LED effects onto it.

So yeah, its a no from me.


My question would be what?s the point of having such faint icon markers in place of the traditional colored ones. They look useless as they are, unless they?re meant to be backlit. They also remind me of several hardware peripherals that are backlit, so either Sony botched their reveal slightly (which isn?t surprising) or they really dropped the ball on a simple feature relative to everything else this controller will be packing. The other thing that tells me they missed something is you know they?re going to have at least half dozen different colors of this thing, which would?ve also been able to include. Fans are doing that as we speak-

 

VG_Addict

New member
Jul 16, 2013
651
0
0
Yoshi178 said:
Elvis Starburst said:
Yoshi178 said:
You guys are so easy to bait i swear LMAO!!!
I think if you feel the need to "bait" anyone then you should maybe reconsider the purpose of your posts in general
but you guys in the Sony Defense Force at Escapist are so good at your job though! :3
Alert! ALERT!! Coordinating conjunction and subordinating conjunction used in one sentence!!
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,771
832
118
Country
Argentina
Looks fine. Still wish the touchpad wouldn't take that much space, since most games don't have much use for it.
 

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
2,165
158
68
Yoshi178 said:
but you guys in the Sony Defense Force at Escapist are so good at your job though! :3
Why are you like this?

And what is this whole thing? ---> :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3
 

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,028
1,393
118
Country
Texas
Elvis Starburst said:
SupahEwok said:
Here, fixed it for you.
Y'know, I kinda expected to log back into here with a warning, but it seems justice has prevailed.

":3 is a slang abbreviation meant to represent the cat face made by anime characters when they say something clever, or sarcastic, or are commenting on something cute. Used to indicate coyness, cleverness, anime-geekiness, cuteness and funny behaviour."

Basically, he needs to communicate even more smugness.
 

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
4,791
0
0
Casual Shinji said:
Chimpzy said:
Aw, shitty D-pad again.
Really?! I love that D-pad!
If you like it, all the more power to you. I'm just very particular about my D-pads. Way I see it, the Mega Drive 6-button and Saturn were the last and only official controllers for any console with a truly great D-pad.