PS5 controller revealed.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Sony revealed the PS5 controller today.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/07/introducing-dualsense-the-new-wireless-game-controller-for-playstation-5/

I can't say I'm a fan of the color or the fact that the symbols no longer have colors.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Huh... neat. Looks like they took some inspirations from Microsoft this time around with the grip design. I just hope the control sticks are more comfortable to use with this shape. I'll never understand why they sit where they do

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I wish it was a sleeker controller honestly. It looks bloated to me, but then again bigger controllers seem to feel better regardless of appearance, so whatever. It's fine.

I'll be getting a PS5 and I'm sure the controller will be just fine.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
It has a futuristic thing to it, not sure I am fond of the wider "ears" since I really enjoy the rounder ones. The d-pad looks pretty standard at least which is what I mainly worry about though, since I use it for fighting games and a bad Dpad is a huge hurdle. Outside of that I can work with any controller. I even enjoyed using the original Xbox controller, the really big and wide one that was like a spaceship steering wheel lol.

Something in me was wishing they went back and made a dual shock that looked like ps1-3 pads. I'll chalk that up to just being nostalgic I guess haha.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks too Xboxish. I know Sony is going for a futuristic look, but the controller can be slimmed down a little. Also, bring back the color coded shapes. WTF you need to get rid of those for?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49747502797_760388b9d5_h.jpg

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Elvis Starburst said:
Huh... neat. Looks like they took some inspirations from Microsoft this time around with the grip design. I just hope the control sticks are more comfortable to use with this shape. I'll never understand why they sit where they do
So you can do things with the controls that require "clawing" normally if the sticks were far apart.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
I?m guessing the symbols for the face buttons, options, share create and d-pad with be backlit and you may even be able to customize the color for each button. The outlines are there so it would make sense for something to make use of them when the thing is turned on.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Phoenixmgs said:
Elvis Starburst said:
So you can do things with the controls that require "clawing" normally if the sticks were far apart.
I also like the fact that they?re symmetrical. I never could get used to the Xbox controller?s off-kilter analog sticks, and think it?s a big reason why I always ultimately leaned towards PlayStation.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Elvis Starburst said:
I also like the fact that they?re symmetrical. I never could get used to the Xbox controller?s off-kilter analog sticks, and think it?s a big reason why I always ultimately leaned towards PlayStation.
I find the position on the Xbox controller actually helps because they seem positioned to make the movement they require as easy as possible. With the dualshocks I always felt my thumbs cramping up.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
At least I won't have to duct tape the lightbar anymore.

Otherwise yeah, looks fine.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
UK
Im a bit all over the place when I look at this.

On one hand, I like the way it looks. I cant shake the feeling that it looks a bit third-party, but an expensive third-party version. Better than previous PS controllers, at least. Also, USB-C is a big win.

Why did they get rid of the colour-coded buttons? Sure, it looks more uniform without them, and I suppose its really not a concern for veteren players, but this is a big nope for new players.

The triggers still dont look anywhere near as good as the ones that Xbox controllers have had since the OG 2001 design. Also, still a boo for not having offset analogue sticks.

I just feel like the Xbox controller has been great since the slimmed down Duke controller for the OG Xbox, and they have just been tweaking and perfecting it ever since.

Sony on the other hand, are just kind of bumbling around, trying to make their admittedly iconic controller design competitive, but they keep on making the same mistakes, and apparently new ones. At least it looks a bit chunkier, so it will be a bit comfier for people with bigger hands like myself, but I still feel like they either need to make a few more passes at this design, or swallow their pride and just copy the Xbox controller a bit more.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Looks like a solid improvement over the previous version. I hope the rubber caps on the sticks are a bit more durable this time though.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Gordon_4 said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Elvis Starburst said:
I find the position on the Xbox controller actually helps because they seem positioned to make the movement they require as easy as possible. With the dualshocks I always felt my thumbs cramping up.
I?ll admit they?ve always felt durable and I like the contour, but I have the opposite problem with sticks and the DS d-pads are definitely more user-friendly to me. Triggers are a mixed bag. The bumper buttons on Xbox feel too small next to R1/2, but I like how the triggers feel more like triggers on Xbox.

Laggyteabag said:
Im a bit all over the place when I look at this.

On one hand, I like the way it looks. I cant shake the feeling that it looks a bit third-party, but an expensive third-party version. Better than previous PS controllers, at least. Also, USB-C is a big win.

Why did they get rid of the colour-coded buttons? Sure, it looks more uniform without them, and I suppose its really not a concern for veteren players, but this is a big nope for new players.

The triggers still dont look anywhere near as good as the ones that Xbox controllers have had since the OG 2001 design. Also, still a boo for not having offset analogue sticks.

I just feel like the Xbox controller has been great since the slimmed down Duke controller for the OG Xbox, and they have just been tweaking and perfecting it ever since.

Sony on the other hand, are just kind of bumbling around, trying to make their admittedly iconic controller design competitive, but they keep on making the same mistakes, and apparently new ones. At least it looks a bit chunkier, so it will be a bit comfier for people with bigger hands like myself, but I still feel like they either need to make a few more passes at this design, or swallow their pride and just copy the Xbox controller a bit more.
I mentioned above in an earlier post the buttons look like they?ll be backlit, and possibly even customizable in terms of light and color. I can agree the DS3 sticks were too close together, but I?ve never had a problem with DS4?s. To me the level of resistance also feels better on DS especially for PS4, and now with 5 the buttons and sticks will have programmable levels of resistance depending on the game. It?s personal preference but the DS5 sounds like it has a lot more going for it if the stick layout isn?t a complete deal breaker.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
09philj said:
Looks like a solid improvement over the previous version. I hope the rubber caps on the sticks are a bit more durable this time though.
My last job was a place that got stuff Best Buy didn't want (returns and whatnot) and we'd get so many PS4 controllers with the rubber falling off the sticks. I've only had one PS4 controller and never had the problem. I think it has to do with me using the tips of my thumbs to control the sticks while I've noticed most people use that bottom half of that first knuckle on the thumb. I think it's why the rubber hasn't torn off my controller along with me not caring how close the sticks are and pretty much never accidentally pushing in L3 or R3 like I've seen many complaints about over the years.

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
Is it just me, or does every innovation they tout on this thing basically just something the Switch did three years ago? And the color scheme is very...

Oh gods.

Sony has become Apple.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Gearran said:
Is it just me, or does every innovation they tout on this thing basically just something the Switch did three years ago? And the color scheme is very...

Oh gods.

Sony has become Apple.
it's not that shocking honestly. :3

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States
Yoshi178 said:
Gearran said:

Oh gods.

Sony has become Apple.

Holy cherry-pick, Batman!

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Phoenixmgs said:
Who invented the dual stick controller that everybody is still using today?
who invented the analogue stick in the first place? :3

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Who invented the dual stick controller that everybody is still using today?
who invented the analogue stick in the first place? :3
Analog joysticks prior to the Nintendo 64 include those used by the Atari 5200, Sega's arcade systems, the Neo Geo CD analog stick in 1994, Sega's analog Mission Stick for the Saturn (which launched on September 29, 1995), and Sony's Analog Joystick. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_controller]

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Oh good great fuck it begins again. Complete with smarmy ass :3 inclusion. YAY thread is now destroyed!

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Yoshi178 said:
Gearran said:

Oh gods.

Sony has become Apple.

Or on the other hand, there?s:

- The DualShock controller design with four shoulder buttons and dual analog sticks, which are still the standard on future consoles? controllers

- Spearheading the last three major disc formats to the forefront of game development, and to a large extent mainstream adoption

- Introduced the prospect of backwards compatibility for a console with PS2, even though they have fallen behind in that regard today

- The PS2 itself [https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/mar/04/sony-playstation-2-at-20-console-future-of-gaming]

- Programmable resistance on DS5 is an extension of the pressure-sensitive buttons introduced on the DS2

- The Share button, which was later adopted by Switch and the upcoming X1X

- PS5 will feature instant load times; a first for a disc-based console

- 3D audio [https://wccftech.com/sony-ps5-3d-audio-big-leap/]; another first for a console

Then of course there?s still other things [https://www.fastcompany.com/company/sony] beyond gaming.

The innovation found on the Switch controller is also simply picking up where the Wii left off. However, Sony?s is still different. [https://www.engadget.com/playstation-5-controller-dualsense-photos-202718532.html]

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Elvis Starburst said:
Oh good great fuck it begins again. Complete with smarmy ass :3 inclusion. YAY thread is now destroyed!
Console war, console war never changes.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Yoshi178 said:
You guys are so easy to bait i swear LMAO!!!
I think if you feel the need to "bait" anyone then you should maybe reconsider the purpose of your posts in general

laggyteabag

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
UK
hanselthecaretaker said:
I?m guessing the symbols for the face buttons, options, share create and d-pad with be backlit and you may even be able to customize the color for each button. The outlines are there so it would make sense for something to make use of them when the thing is turned on.
That would be nice, but im gonna go ahead and say "unlikely" on this one.

If this was a planned feature, it would either be mentioned in the blog post, or pictured in the images. Seems odd that the lightbar is on, and the buttons are not lit, if they are supposed to be. Even if this is a planned feature, and this is a prototype that isn't 100% working just yet - again, you would think they would either wait until it was 100% functional, at least visually, or they would just photoshop some LED effects onto it.

So yeah, its a no from me.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Elvis Starburst said:
Yoshi178 said:
I think if you feel the need to "bait" anyone then you should maybe reconsider the purpose of your posts in general
but you guys in the Sony Defense Force at Escapist are so good at your job though! :3

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Laggyteabag said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

If this was a planned feature, it would either be mentioned in the blog post, or pictured in the images. Seems odd that the lightbar is on, and the buttons are not lit, if they are supposed to be. Even if this is a planned feature, and this is a prototype that isn't 100% working just yet - again, you would think they would either wait until it was 100% functional, at least visually, or they would just photoshop some LED effects onto it.

My question would be what?s the point of having such faint icon markers in place of the traditional colored ones. They look useless as they are, unless they?re meant to be backlit. They also remind me of several hardware peripherals that are backlit, so either Sony botched their reveal slightly (which isn?t surprising) or they really dropped the ball on a simple feature relative to everything else this controller will be packing. The other thing that tells me they missed something is you know they?re going to have at least half dozen different colors of this thing, which would?ve also been able to include. Fans are doing that as we speak-

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Yoshi178 said:
Elvis Starburst said:
Yoshi178 said:
but you guys in the Sony Defense Force at Escapist are so good at your job though! :3
Alert! ALERT!! Coordinating conjunction and subordinating conjunction used in one sentence!!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Argentina
Looks fine. Still wish the touchpad wouldn't take that much space, since most games don't have much use for it.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Yoshi178 said:
Why are you like this?

And what is this whole thing? ---> :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Country
Texas
Elvis Starburst said:
SupahEwok said:
Here, fixed it for you.
Y'know, I kinda expected to log back into here with a warning, but it seems justice has prevailed.

":3 is a slang abbreviation meant to represent the cat face made by anime characters when they say something clever, or sarcastic, or are commenting on something cute. Used to indicate coyness, cleverness, anime-geekiness, cuteness and funny behaviour."

Basically, he needs to communicate even more smugness.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Chimpzy said:
Aw, shitty D-pad again.
Really?! I love that D-pad!
If you like it, all the more power to you. I'm just very particular about my D-pads. Way I see it, the Mega Drive 6-button and Saturn were the last and only official controllers for any console with a truly great D-pad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chimpzy said:
Casual Shinji said:
Chimpzy said:
Aw, shitty D-pad again.
If you like it, all the more power to you. I'm just very particular about my D-pads. Way I see it, the Mega Drive 6-button and Saturn were the last and only official controllers for any console with a truly great D-pad.
As much as I like the Dual Shock D-pads (except DS3's D-pad, but it still better than 360 D-pad), I agree. It's Sega, you would not expect less from them in controllers.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
UK
hanselthecaretaker said:
Laggyteabag said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

My question would be what?s the point of having such faint icon markers in place of the traditional colored ones. They look useless as they are, unless they?re meant to be backlit. They also remind me of several hardware peripherals that are backlit, so either Sony botched their reveal slightly (which isn?t surprising) or they really dropped the ball on a simple feature relative to everything else this controller will be packing. The other thing that tells me they missed something is you know they?re going to have at least half dozen different colors of this thing, which would?ve also been able to include. Fans are doing that as we speak-

Because it looks nice and uniform.

This wouldnt be the first time that a design has chosen form over function, and it wont be the last.

As I mentioned in my first comment, this isn't going to be a problem at all to anyone who is familiar with PlayStation button prompts, and it will only be new players who are really impacted by this.

But ultimately, I dont imagine that it will be all that much of a big deal. The Nintendo Switch controllers dont have coloured buttons, and people get along with that just fine - case in point, my girlfriend who has just sunk over 100 hours into the new Animal Crossing game, with this being the first time that she has ever really played a game on the Switch, and doesnt really play games at all, and certainly not with a controller.

Ultimately, I think its just a shame that the iconic face button colours are gone.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Sort of need to hold it in my greasy blood soaked paws to make any useful judgement. Buuut it does make me want to touch it all over, which is the intention, I sposes. Looks like it could clean my spaceship floor when left to its own devices too.

Drathnoxis

Artificial Person
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Country
Canada
Chimpzy said:
Casual Shinji said:
Chimpzy said:
Aw, shitty D-pad again.
You are praising the D-pad on this dinnerplate?

I dunno, looks like the D-pad for the Xbox 360 controller, which kind of sucked because the whole circle thing made it feel a lot less precise than the PS3 D-pad.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
You are praising the D-pad on this dinnerplate?
I dunno, looks like the D-pad for the Xbox 360 controller, which kind of sucked because the whole circle thing made it feel a lot less precise than the PS3 D-pad.
This one actually:

This is the Japanese version, but the other regions are the same, just different color. Also, its D-pad craps all over the PoS on the 360, or the PS3's. Basically, if you want something that's perfect for arcade style games (historically one of Sega's biggest strengths) and you don't have a proper arcade stick, then the old school Sega D-pad is your next best option.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Elvis Starburst said:
Yoshi178 said:
Why are you like this?
Why do you ask questions when you clearly aren't interested in the answers?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Welp, it's definitely a controller. No real swooping changes compared to DS4, other than the stupid name.

Oct 22, 2011
It looks fine.
Seems like Sony is slowly coming to terms with 360 being more popular controller design. They can't escape asymmetric analogs forever!

dscross

Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Looks ok. The grip doesn't look as comfortable as PS4 but we'll have to see.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
dscross said:
this grip looks way more comfortable than the DS4

you must have tiny hands.

dscross

Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Yoshi178 said:
dscross said:
this grip looks way more comfortable than the DS4

you must have tiny hands.
Doesn't look as round to me.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
Country
United States
I like the look but that color scheme is... yeesh.

Hopefully the D-pad is more PS2/PS3 and less PS4.

I haven't played many side scrolling/fighting games on PS4 so when Symphony of The Night came out on it last year I was blown away by how bad the DS4's D-pad was. Trying to pull off Alucard's spells was so much more difficult than it should have been.