PS5 is rumored to only be backwards compatible with PS4

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Does game pass actually offer every game ever on an Xbox console, or only the stuff that specifically was licensed by Microsoft?
Check the Microsoft Backwards Compatibility list or wiki page. Has expanded so much since 2005 and is still growing. They got Panzer Dragoon Otra on there now. Still no Otogi or Spikeout Battlestreet sadly.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That might be the case......also you could always play games on Ps3 still.

I mean if people are so passionate about that generation of games, wouldn't they still have the system?
The problem is when the hardware breaks. And, what's even more an issue than having a working PS3 are having controllers. Because of having lots of free time on my hands due to the pandemic and wanting to play something online (last-gen online games were way better) and having not-so-good PS3 controllers anymore (they just wear out over time); I had to buy a new controller and you can't get DS3s anymore and the 3rd-party ones just aren't as good. I bought this BF4 PS3 controller as it seems to be better than the other 3rd-party ones available and it is a solid controller but the sticks just aren't as good as the DS3 sticks and I really couldn't play as good as I normally did because I couldn't aim great with the controller.

I know PS3 is hard due to architectural issues so that was expected, but it is disappointing to know that PS1 and PS2 won't be supported, it'd add a lot of value to me personally if it supported those since my PS2 is broken, so it'd allow me to use my already existing library plus PS4 & PS5 stuff that I don't own.
It's mainly just that there's not enough people that would use the PS1/2 BC feature. I remember way back when Sony removed PS2 BC from the PS3 and they cited costs along with the fact that most people didn't even use the PS3 for PS2 games and that was when PS2 games were last-gen.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
It's mainly just that there's not enough people that would use the PS1/2 BC feature. I remember way back when Sony removed PS2 BC from the PS3 and they cited costs along with the fact that most people didn't even use the PS3 for PS2 games and that was when PS2 games were last-gen.
That seems quite disingenuous, I recall at the time that most PS3s didn't even have the backwards compatibility so they couldn't have used it, I personally didn't use it because since I couldn't cross to the USA at the time I had given my uncle the money to buy one and despite my instructions he bought the one that wasn't retrocompatible for PS2, that being said I remember I used the PS1 compatibility so much that I ended up selling my PS1 since I could just play them on my PS3 with 0 issues, but anyway my point is that obviously almost no one is going to use a feature that you only included on the more expensive version of the initial release, most people are going to buy the cheaper version or buy it later and if I recall correctly even the expensive or premium versions of later models of PS3 weren't retrocmpatible with PS2.

Sounds like bad excuses from Sony if you ask me, most likely a ploy to get you to re-buy games on PSN or use their game streaming service, something that I don't particularly like since there are some obscure games that aren't ever going to be released on those formats.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That seems quite disingenuous, I recall at the time that most PS3s didn't even have the backwards compatibility so they couldn't have used it... anyway my point is that obviously almost no one is going to use a feature that you only included on the more expensive version of the initial release, most people are going to buy the cheaper version or buy it later and if I recall correctly even the expensive or premium versions of later models of PS3 weren't retrocmpatible with PS2.

Sounds like bad excuses from Sony if you ask me, most likely a ploy to get you to re-buy games on PSN or use their game streaming service, something that I don't particularly like since there are some obscure games that aren't ever going to be released on those formats.
I believe all launch PS3s played PS2 games. The price of the PS3 was something everyone pretty much disliked (including Sony since they were taking losses per system sold). Removing something most people didn't use to lower the cost that everyone said was too high was a happy medium.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I believe all launch PS3s played PS2 games. The price of the PS3 was something everyone pretty much disliked (including Sony since they were taking losses per system sold). Removing something most people didn't use to lower the cost that everyone said was too high was a happy medium.
That isn't the case, so I didn't want to get this wrong, but apparently there were 5 different launch models of 20GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB & 160GB, according to this article only the 20GB & the 60GB models were backwards compatible, I actually was unaware that there was 20GB version with retro-compatibility, I had the 40GB version so I didn't get that feature, with this new information though, I no longer know if I had the cheapest model maybe the 20GB version was cheaper, I don't know I'm too lazy to look this up, hmmm... That does mean that I have no idea what the sample size was, since if the 20GB version was the cheapest, it's likely that was the most sold one and as such the sample size might have been bigger than I realised.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That isn't the case, so I didn't want to get this wrong, but apparently there were 5 different launch models of 20GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB & 160GB, according to this article only the 20GB & the 60GB models were backwards compatible, I actually was unaware that there was 20GB version with retro-compatibility, I had the 40GB version so I didn't get that feature, with this new information though, I no longer know if I had the cheapest model maybe the 20GB version was cheaper, I don't know I'm too lazy to look this up, hmmm... That does mean that I have no idea what the sample size was, since if the 20GB version was the cheapest, it's likely that was the most sold one and as such the sample size might have been bigger than I realised.
That article doesn't state any launch model that wasn't backwards compatible.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
It doesn't really, so I guess I just thought most didn't because mine in particular didn't, it was the 40GB Spider-Man 3 Blu-Ray edition that I had, I can confirm that one wasn't backwards compatible, don't know about tge other ones I guess.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
As expected. No money in out of print games, so why would they ever spend the money designing emulation? I'm just glad that even the PS3 is being preserved on PC now, because those consoles won't last.

Reactions: Dalisclock and Kae

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I will step in here and point out so far the Xbox Series X is only select games from past generations not truly all games as such.

But it would be cool if older Playstation ones did get added too but I'm guessing Sony is going to try and port a lot of stuff to PC in the coming years too and not just their most modern stuff

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Basically, it goes like this:
  • All PS3 have PS1 bc through software emulation
  • The NTCS 20gb and 60gb launch (fat) models have full hardware PS2 bc, since those contain both the PS2 CPU and GPU
  • The PAL 20gb and 60gb launch (fat) models have partial hardware PS2 bc, having the PS2 GPU, but lacking the CPU which is instead emulated in software
  • The NTCS 80gb model with MGS4 packed in had the same hardware configuration as the PAL launch models, just with a bigger hdd. Tho the software side of the emulation was later patched out (tho afaik not so in the PAL models).
  • The later 40gb, 80gb and 160gb fat models and all (Super) Slim models have no PS2 hardware and no native PS2 bc, tho it can be put in through custom firmware. Purely software emulation tho.
I'm just glad that even the PS3 is being preserved on PC now, because those consoles won't last.

Tho it must be added that playable here means tons of glitches and fairly frequent crashes on a custom build of the emulator probably only available to Patreon donors. Technically possible to play the game start to finish, but it would be a major pain in the ass. It'll be some time before the fixes necessary to run MGS4 will be folded into the public build, and longer still until the game can be considered truly fully playable.

Pretty sure they'll get there tho, my guess would be another 2-3 years at least. Probably more like 5 until RPCS3 is at the same level of reliability and compatibility you can find in, say, Dolphin or PCSX2. Tho a year and a half ago the emulator went from not even booting commercial games to ingame for a good amount of them in the space of a month or two. Sudden breakthroughs aren't out of the question.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Basically, it goes like this:
  • All PS3 have PS1 bc through software emulation
  • The NTCS 20gb and 60gb launch (fat) models have full hardware PS2 bc, since those contain both the PS2 CPU and GPU
  • The PAL 20gb and 60gb launch (fat) models have partial hardware PS2 bc, having the PS2 GPU, but lacking the CPU which is instead emulated in software
  • The NTCS 80gb model with MGS4 packed in had the same hardware configuration as the PAL launch models, just with a bigger hdd. Tho the software side of the emulation was later patched out (tho afaik not so in the PAL models).
  • The later 40gb, 80gb and 160gb fat models and all (Super) Slim models have no PS2 hardware and no native PS2 bc, tho it can be put in through custom firmware. Purely software emulation tho.
The only thing I didn't realize was that the BC in the models that only did software emulation was patched out (which is pretty crappy). I'm guessing that was due to Sony being all upset about the PS3 getting jailbroken and removing the Linux support as well.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The only thing I didn't realize was that the BC in the models that only did software emulation was patched out (which is pretty crappy). I'm guessing that was due to Sony being all upset about the PS3 getting jailbroken and removing the Linux support as well.
Oh man, I remember when they did that and it bricked some kind of cluster the US Air Force has built with like a hundred PS3s. Man there was some salt in those letters of complaint.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Oh man, I remember when they did that and it bricked some kind of cluster the US Air Force has built with like a hundred PS3s. Man there was some salt in those letters of complaint.
Yeh, I remember that. They had like 1500+ PS3's chained together because Cell processors are actually pretty suited to specific supercomputing tasks and buying hundred of consoles at like $600 a piece was relatively cheaper than a proper supercomputer. Though those clusters weren't so much bricked as phased out since the removal of Linux support meant replacing failing nodes got harder, while at the same time supercomputer tech was advancing to where you could get better performance at the same price.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeh, I remember that. They had like 1500+ PS3's chained together because Cell processors are actually pretty suited to specific supercomputing tasks and buying hundred of consoles at like $600 a piece was relatively cheaper than a proper supercomputer. Though those clusters weren't so much bricked as phased out since the removal of Linux support meant replacing failing nodes got harder, while at the same time supercomputer tech was advancing to where you could get better performance at the same price.
Well yeah, we’ve come miles in data centre layout and computing technology. Nowadays if you want some extreme processing power you buy a TeraData cluster and have it installed in your server room/data hall.

I just remember the story - wrongly it seems - because it’s funny.