PSA: Ubisoft is Revoking Far Cry 4 CD-Keys From 3rd Party Re-sellers - Update 2

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Hgdrifter said:
I rarely post here, mostly just a lurker. But since I'm directly involved in this situation, I'm going to try and add some perspective on the issue. I'm one of the people that got their keys banned and bought from G2A.com, now of course after this I learned my lesson and will never buy from a site like that again. So yada yada yada, let's get that out of the way.

Now here's the sequence of events that I've gone through so far, and as of right now I still haven't gotten a refund and I'm not planning to ask for another key from them.

I got my key banned the day after, and when you try to redeem the key again on Uplay you get an error message the key was banned for no particular reason. I then opened a ticket with G2A and they said you need to provide a bunch of screenshots. The list of the screenshots were your Uplay library, the error code, and an official response from Ubisoft. After reading that, I contacted G2A through their live chat system to make sure I had to provide the screenshots since I started doing some research on the issue. My case wasn't unique and they stated I had to provide the screenshots anyway. The CSR then told me the process after all the info is provided. Basically, after you provide the info stated above they contact the seller and make a judgement.

I opened a ticket with Ubisoft to get a response from them, knowing how much time a ticket response can take from any huge company I called their call center and got an expedited response from them to get the thing going.

I then submitted all the info G2A required and waited a couple days. Of course no response from them, so I went through live chat again. The CSR I talked to said he couldn't access the ticket so the only he could do was mark it as urgent for the department that handles these kind of issues. Now the purchase was made through Paypal so of course there's a bit of a cushion in getting my money back. But I've been pressing filing a dispute with Paypal to hopefully get the G2A customer service to expedite everything. As of right now, my ticket with G2A is marked as urgent and I'm giving them another 48 hours to respond. (48 hours from yesterday so 24 hours) If nothing happens I'm going to escalate it to Paypal and tell them the whole story.

The perspective I'm trying to give here is that as a consumer, I'm caught in a really messy customer service loop. Having to potentially deal with 4 companies to resolve this issue (I'm counting my bank in the off chance Paypal can't do anything.) Ubisoft should have realized this when they took action on this, as I'm never going to buy another Ubisoft game for a really long time and if I do, I'll wait until it's like $5. Of course there's minimal effort on their part so they can probably care less. Doing some research, G2A is apparently a reliable source to get cheaper games. (Take that in anyway that you will.) But their response in all of this is horrendous. Even after they released their official statement on Facebook, I still haven't gotten any response from them. What makes it that much more irritating is that they said they have to contact the seller, which if they did obtain the key from a stolen credit card, they're already long gone and probably won't respond to G2A at all. (I'm saying if on the credit card portion as some sellers may have used the region locked loophole. I realize it's highly unlikely, but I'm trying to cover all the potential scenarios.)

TLDR: From a consumer stand point. The consumer is stuck in an ugly customer service loop and it sucks.
Just want to point out that G2A is probably dealing with thousands of these tickets...I would not expect a turn around in anything shorter than a week. Considering steam being the giant that it is takes about 48 hours for small issues, I wouldn't expect something small like G2A to turn around in that time frame for such a big issue.

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
Vigormortis said:
jayzz911 said:
TLDR: wasnt credit card fraud, they just want more of your money.
Mmm...except that it was.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/01/27/ubisoft-says-deactivated-far-cry-keys-purchased-with-stolen-credit-card.aspx

Just sayin'.
hmm didn't know Nvidia did credit card fraud. Since i've seen a lot of people complaining about the coupon that came with their graphics card being revoked, must mean that they commited credit card fraud. Or maybe Ubi likes bullshitting people.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
jayzz911 said:
hmm didn't know Nvidia did credit card fraud. Since i've seen a lot of people complaining about the coupon that came with their graphics card being revoked, must mean that they commited credit card fraud. Or maybe Ubi likes bullshitting people.
Or maybe we can leave the conspiracy theory nonsense behind and look at this objectively.

What's more likely?

Ubisoft AND EA are conspiring together to get Ubisoft to somehow make more money on Farcry 4? (even though the game and all other Ubisoft titles have been pulled from Origin as a result of the credit card fraud, and Ubisoft is likely more than well aware that they will lose money over this either way.)

- or -

There was either a mistake in the keys being revoked or a lot of people are lying about the method with which they received their copy of the game so as to cover up their less than scrupulous buying practices?

The former is James Bond level of ludicrous. The latter is more inline with something one might see in reality.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Vigormortis said:
jayzz911 said:
Or maybe we can leave the conspiracy theory nonsense behind and look at this objectively.

What's more likely?

Ubisoft AND EA are conspiring together to get Ubisoft to somehow make more money on Farcry 4? (even though the game and all other Ubisoft titles have been pulled from Origin as a result of the credit card fraud, and Ubisoft is likely more than well aware that they will lose money over this either way.)

- or -

There was either a mistake in the keys being revoked or a lot of people are lying about the method with which they received their copy of the game so as to cover up their less than scrupulous buying practices?

The former is James Bond level of ludicrous. The latter is more inline with something one might see in reality.
In this case it's about half of both, the consumers are not at fault here they thought they were getting legal keys from a legitimet re-seller. The re-sellers, who are steping up and giving refunds, are the ones to blame.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/01/27/ubisoft-says-deactivated-far-cry-keys-purchased-with-stolen-credit-card.aspx

Ubi is not the first people to do this(steam has done this for a while), it's just this is the largest one so far.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
direkiller said:
In this case it's about half of both, the consumers are not at fault here they thought they were getting legal keys from a legitimet re-seller. The re-sellers, who are steping up and giving refunds, are the ones to blame.

Ubi is not the first people to do this(steam has done this for a while), it's just this is the largest one so far.
[sub]I actually linked to that article earlier. :p[/sub]

This is assuming every person who purchased from G2A and Kinguin didn't know the less the scrupulous nature of those sites.

I personally know a number of people who use those sites regularly and are more than well aware of the often sketchy sources from which those sites get their keys.

Some people may have been legitimately scammed by this fiasco, but I'd wager at least as many knew what they might be getting into and wound up getting a bite in the ass.

That said, I'm not blaming the consumers. I'm laying blame squarely on the resellers and the person or persons that bought the fraudulent keys using stolen credit cards.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Baffle said:
Or, and I'm not saying this is the case in this instance, though I doubt that it doesn't have an influence, both EA and UBIsoft have a strong interest in dissuading consumers from using third-party sellers, since they both have their own sales platforms?

And if that's your definition of ludicrous, presumably you've never seen Moonraker. Or any Bond film ever. Like the one with the guy who had diamonds in his face.
Which might be believable, if EA and Ubisoft hadn't pulled Ubisoft's entire catalog of titles from Origin.

Trying to persuade consumers to buy from official retailers only is pretty much undermined by removing your products from those retailers.

Besides, you can still buy copies of Ubisoft games from Amazon, GMG, Ebay, etc, and they aren't blanket revoking keys from those resellers.

This fiasco is a case of fraudulent purchases made from stolen credit cards. Nothing more.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Another month, another Ubisoft based fiasco. And guess who has to suffer the worst of it. Normally I'd be inclined to give the publisher benefit of the doubt, when I remember how shameless the likes of G2A are in terms of self-promotion. Same time, the amount of DRM they shove in customers' faces on a daily basis, they should be able to keep a better track on the people who do buy legit keys from them, and the fact they clearly haven't just shows that in my logic at least, they don't know what they're doing. How long until they revoke Steam or GMG keys, to the point where Uplay's the only spot you can buy their crap from?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Snotnarok said:
I still think it's a shitty thing to do to customers, I'm not saying that all of them are legit and trying to scam or whatever but they're punishing people who are in some way trying to legit-ly buy the game. They could have just pirated it and instead they're trying someway to buy it, they just don't want to pay their regional bullshit prices, so this will likely be the straw that makes them just go pirate the game anyway.

Ubisoft and battling pirates, they do it wrong every, single, time.
Shitty to custumers? perhaps. Its a fair thing to do though. a key was stolen (bought by stolen CC info that issued chargeback afterwards), so the key is returned to the owner. If you bought a stolen item your item will get confiscated. you can demand a return from a thief, but a thief isnt always willing to give it. so dont buy items from thieves. its a risky business and this time it got caught.

I do agree that Ubisoft is awful at battling pirates.

BiH-Kira said:
Strazdas said:
Snotnarok said:
how are customers supposed to know who is and isn't legit? Somehow I bet it's not always easy to tell. If anything they should fine the ones selling the keys, why the customers?
A passing glance is enough to tell G2A is not legit.

Also why wouldnt it be costumers problem? If i steal your car and then sell it to somone, do you expect it to not be confiscated if im caught? because thats what happened here. keys were stolen.
Ubisoft nowhere said they were stollen.
Except that they did http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/01/27/ubisoft-says-deactivated-far-cry-keys-purchased-with-stolen-credit-card.aspx

And yeah, steam has done this too, not that long ago as well. In fact steam is pulling keys all the time that are bought with fraudulent CC and then traded using steams trade function.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Hate to be that guy, but...

Update 2: Ubisoft has updated it's official statement, ...
Heil Grammar!

But, regarding the topic at hand:

I guess with that new explanation, it's a fair measure to take. Would have been great if they'd communicated that earlier, but alright. I still think keysellers are alright and it's acceptable to use them, with a healthy dose of caveat emptor.

It should be noted that I've had a case where I'd bought a key from Kinguin that had already been redeemed. Their support was extremely quick in returning my money and fixing the situation, even though the seller had all but disappeared. Can't really say I found them (Kinguin) to be especially shady.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Strazdas said:
Shitty to custumers? perhaps. Its a fair thing to do though. a key was stolen (bought by stolen CC info that issued chargeback afterwards), so the key is returned to the owner. If you bought a stolen item your item will get confiscated. you can demand a return from a thief, but a thief isnt always willing to give it. so dont buy items from thieves. its a risky business and this time it got caught.

I do agree that Ubisoft is awful at battling pirates.
I think we can all agree that Ubisoft is bad at battling pirates, but then again I don't know a single company that is Good at it.

That said I do want to point out a flaw in the "car theft" analogy that's been floating around this whole time: While digital products are legally treated identically to physical ones, they are not the same and we need to remember that. Normal property theft is 0-sum. When a physical item is stolen, the owner no longer has it and when found it is returned to the owner so that they can either use it or sell it. In this case Ubisoft (possibly) lost money, but nothing else. They could still sell FC4 exactly as well as before and revoking those keys from those players amounts to destroying those copies of the game. I understand that Ubisoft is legally well within their rights to revoke the keys, and that they were purchased using stolen credit cards, I'm just saying that it doesn't seem benefit anyone to do so. That and that our digital property laws need updating. Anyway I hope they catch the actual thieves. Those credit cards were still stolen no matter what else is going on.

OT: I know that these resellers are not always 100% on the up and up, but the main two do sound like they're trying to do right by their customers by offering refunds or replacement keys. Good on them.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Monsterfurby said:
It should be noted that I've had a case where I'd bought a key from Kinguin that had already been redeemed. Their support was extremely quick in returning my money and fixing the situation, even though the seller had all but disappeared. Can't really say I found them (Kinguin) to be especially shady.
Being a habitual cynic, i have to note that they probably have to do this since anyone who gets burned by a fruad key and doesnt get compensated becomes a negative PR anecote for thier site.

A similar thing can be observed with Origin too, you must have seen someone gushing about how excellent thier customer support apparently is.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
Hasn't The Escapist linked to G2A deals in the past? I remember being linked to that website from here during the "Deals of the Week" post and, after seeing how shady the website looked, held off from purchasing anything from there. Guess my fears were confirmed.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
gigastar said:
Being a habitual cynic, i have to note that they probably have to do this since anyone who gets burned by a fruad key and doesnt get compensated becomes a negative PR anecote for thier site.

A similar thing can be observed with Origin too, you must have seen someone gushing about how excellent thier customer support apparently is.
Oh, absolutely - no doubt the have to do that. Customer service is all they have to stand out.

But does the 'why' really matter? Excellent customer service still is excellent customer service, even if *gasp* the company only wants to be seen in a good light and/or prevent legal repercussions.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
shirkbot said:
I think we can all agree that Ubisoft is bad at battling pirates, but then again I don't know a single company that is Good at it.

That said I do want to point out a flaw in the "car theft" analogy that's been floating around this whole time: While digital products are legally treated identically to physical ones, they are not the same and we need to remember that. Normal property theft is 0-sum. When a physical item is stolen, the owner no longer has it and when found it is returned to the owner so that they can either use it or sell it. In this case Ubisoft (possibly) lost money, but nothing else. They could still sell FC4 exactly as well as before and revoking those keys from those players amounts to destroying those copies of the game. I understand that Ubisoft is legally well within their rights to revoke the keys, and that they were purchased using stolen credit cards, I'm just saying that it doesn't seem benefit anyone to do so. That and that our digital property laws need updating. Anyway I hope they catch the actual thieves. Those credit cards were still stolen no matter what else is going on.

OT: I know that these resellers are not always 100% on the up and up, but the main two do sound like they're trying to do right by their customers by offering refunds or replacement keys. Good on them.
Id say CDP is pretty good at that. know plenty of pirates that will buy witcher 3 on principle. but yeah, most companies are awful at it.

As far as your flaw, the same can be applied to piracy, so if we take the idea that piracy is wrong, then so is buying stolen keys.

In case of piracy ubisoft does not directly loose anything either. yet, it is illegal to do so and often frowned upon by society (though from ethical perspective one could argue it not being bad).

And yes, i agree that the right thing is happening. people whose fault it was that innocent costumers bought stolen keys - the resellers - are the ones paying for it now. Imo the sites refunding the costumers is the best way to go about it.

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
shirkbot said:

Keep in mind that Ubisoft had already recorded those sales in the books. As far as their accounts go, they effectively just lost a lot of revenue through no fault of their own. Although the keys are not physical objects, they are still property, and it makes sense to seize the stolen property. Now, if they were clever, they'd be thinking at the margin and consider how best to make up the lost revenue--if I were the CEO of Ubisoft, I might suggest allowing people whose keys were seized to buy their keys at the same price they paid for it if they present a receipt. Maybe that's not the best way to handle the situation, but there are a million better ways than just seizing the keys and leaving it at that.