Psychology Study Blames Games for Aggressive Behavior

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Anyone who actually thinks that violent imagery, including video games, doesn't desensitize us to violence lacks common sense.

This is really just affirming the obvious.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Greg Tito said:
I suggest that Associate Professor Bartholow keeps working on it.

I think you're right, but I think you're coming at this defense from the wrong angle.

He is demonstrating that exposure to violence in video games can desensitize a person to the idea of violence. Not only does he appear to demonstrate this in the brain, it also makes sense--the more you see anything, the less shocking/surprising/novel it will be.

He then claims that subjects behaved "more aggressively" when asked to "blast an opponent" with a loud noise. And that this means the desensitization is encourage, or even prompting, this aggressive behavior. Don't we think, perhaps, the fact that you told them to do it is what led to this behavior?

So, it seems that the desensitization elevated their willingness to engage, but it didn't cause aggressive behavior. You could say it elevated it when already present or cued.

Furthermore, could that also just be because subjects engaged in a competitive game are encouraged to be more "aggressive" in order to win? See, "aggression" and "violence" are not the same thing. Violent videogames, however, pit human against human(oid) in competition, which may stimulate our basic hypothalamus "fight or flight" response in a mild way. That could make us more likely to react more strongly in perceived competition.

In order for this study to hold any real water, we'll need to know:

1. What were the "non-violent" games being played?
2. Were any of these games competitive non-violent games?
3. If not, what effect do competitive non-violent games have on the "sound blasting" choices?
4. If some of them were, was there any "statistically significant" difference between those and the non-competitive non-violent games?
5 Do other competitive endeavors outside of video games have any similar impact? (Sports, martial arts, really any competitive activity)

We have to be extremely careful how we define things like "aggressive" and "violent," and be careful not to conflate them with traits like being "competitive" or just "in an excited state."

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Hey, you know who else are desensitized?

Surgeons.

Those creeps aren't only desensitized from seeing all the wounds and corpses everyday, but they also cut people up on a regular basis. So instead of paying 'em annual six figure sums, why not lock 'em? You know, just in case? Or at least take away their surgical tools?
Sextouple post detected. You might want to fix that.

sora91111

Dec 10, 2010
Yes this has been highly debated on both sides, some say it's reduces stress others say it builds agression. I can't really use myself as an example because I do play violent games and I'm not agressive in my social life, but I am agressive because I play rugby. So... yea there's that.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
The Abhorrent said:
First off, the research seems to ignore one principle rule:
Correlation does not imply causation.

They've discovered a correlation, but I don't see any plausible causation. Why would being desensitized to violence make one more prone to violent or aggressive behaviour? At most they have less of an aversion to it, but that does not mean someone will be more aggressive.

What probably IS the cause of increased aggression is the nature of the games being played. Not because they're violent, but because they're competitive online games (Call of Duty definitely, Killzone... I think so; I don't play either, but FPS games are known for being both violent and very competitive when it comes to online play). Increased competitiveness would almost certainly increase one's aggression as well, because winning games (video games or sports) tends to favour those who are constantly pushing forward; patience is very seldom the reason one wins a match. Throw in online-gamings well-known lack of restraint, maturity, and sportsmanship, and you have a hyper-competitive environment where aggressive combat with a strong focus on killing eachother (particularly for something like an FPS) runs rampant.

The researchers should come up with a good explanation for their correlation, not one which overlooks many key details.
Complete agreement on the latter portion, especially.

As I said in my post above, I'd like them to include more information about what types of "non-violent" game were used. I'd also like to see them run similar comparisons with competitive and non-competitive non-violent games, and see if any significant results pop up.

The idea that "blasting louder sounds" necessarily means someone is "more aggressive" is a potential problem, too. It could just be that a person playing a violent game is in a somewhat more "excited" state, making them prone to react more strongly to requests or challenges (like, say, telling them to attack with sound). It could also be that the competitive nature of these games is what leads to that behavioral change, not the violent nature itself*.

*Though I would allow that violence, particularly when it includes a humanoid surrogate meant to be "us," has a more primal connection to our basic competitive drive. But so does football, so what's new?

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
So this proves that people won't care about yet another 'violent' image after playing mortal kombat for 25 minutes, WOW! This video made me wanna punch someone more than playing games ever will.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I feel like there's no argument when it comes to this. It's obvious that video games have an effect on a person's aggression levels. The question is, does it increase or decrease them, and to this, I believe the logical answer is the former.

Of course, the same could be made of millions of components of everyday life- Like if you sit on an uncomfortable chair at the office.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
The first bit was interesting, but there are problems with the second part, when he says that people who already play a lot of violent video games are less sensitive to violent imagery. That's a correlational study, and as such you can't make causal conclusions based on it, as the confounds haven't been eliminated. Any psychologist should know that. I know that and I'm only a psychology student.

People who already see a lot of violence, perhaps from TV shows and such, might be more desensitized to it and subsequently more predisposed to buy a violent video game. All that second part suggests is that there is a correlation between violent video games and becoming desensitized to violence, not that there's a causal link.

Feb 13, 2008
9Darksoul6 said:
I'm amazed by how the greatest minds in science and philosophy still try to establish what "reality" is, while you believe a mecanism (your brain is not a person, therefore it is not rational; nor is your subconscious) simply "worked it out".
Quite simply, nature trumps science because it's been around for longer.

Science actually has worked it out. I'd suggest looking up the "uncanny valley" when you've finished being condescending.

You might also want to look up "mechanism", "rational" and the difference between a mind and a brain.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
This experiment has been done time and time again. It doesn't speak much to his credit to not know this. It does not any more than any experiment before it prove a cause and effect link between video game violence and real violence. You can't prove it, beyond exposing people to actual violence -- putting an actual gun in their hands with no rules to see whether gamers or non-gamers would fare better.

Keep trying, I'll keep laughing.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
So are you telling me that books,movies,theater or even cowboy games (childrens games) can't do the same?

I'm a renonwed bacon expert and I will tell you that bacon is fatty! But so is any other meat.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
... and tomorrow we'll get a story that proves that there is no link whatsoever... and then by the weekend we'll have another one that proves it again.

We see this all the time and it gets really old. Why is this such a big deal to people anyway? Oh yeah, that's right, because the same people who tried to ban comic books and protest Marilyn Manson concerts want strict regulations on video games because they're something they don't understand. It's silly that people are still this worried about something as insignificant as video games. Seriously... they have ratings on them. Isn't that enough?

HarmanSmith

Aug 12, 2009
I think the scientists should be more concerned with sports increasing aggression. Hell, in football you're encouraged to be violent towards the other team, but you don't see parents up in arms over that. It's a double-standard.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Aggression is most definitely not the same thing as violence. I can definitely agree with the aggressive thing, I get pissed off if I can't get passed a certain point in a game, but I'm not that violent a person. I also have a good hold of myself; if I didn't my aggression -would- lead to violence. Yet it does not.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
9Darksoul6 said:
Why is it so hard for you (common gamers) to believe that seeing violent imagery in motion affects you senisitivity towards violence? Even more if you're actively causing it ("playing")...
Be rational. How could your subconscious possibly know the difference between real-life violence from virtual violence? Is it really that hard to admit? I also play violent videogames, and it doesn't bother me.
if you know its virtual then your subconscious knows as well

OT:i agree that it "desenities" a bit but there is also a big diffrence between video game violence and real life violence a big ones being the smell, sights, sound and every thing else a video game cant deliver in the right magnitude if at all