Psychonauts 2 Crowfunding Campaign Announced

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Naldan said:
It probably will get funded, at least the 3.3m. Will these 3.3m last? Probably not.
Well, they say, that 3,3 are not enough! so they put in their own money and money from an "external source" (a publisher? don't know... it's not detailed in the video).

Will it be released in time? Probably not.
If I look at the train wreck of the Batman: Arkham Knight release I can only hope they screw release dates for a functional game!

Is it safe, even if it gets funded? Probably not.
? Broken Age got released! And I know of no game, that DF didn't release because they run out of money or anything like that!

Will DF go to a publisher and ask them for money, too? Probably yes.
They talk about money from the outside! If this is a publisher ... don't know!

I admit: I never got all the hate about Broken Age! Yeah, they put up Part 1 and 2; who cares? It was a really nice game and I enjoyed it a lot! It was worth my money and all the nice documentary were good to get me over all the waiting!
So, shut up and DF take my money, I don't care, what you say!

zellosoli

Aug 22, 2011
JelDeRebel said:
wow soo much hate here

Games go over budget and get cancelled ALL THE TIME. Look at how many kickstarters failed

Anyone who backed Double Fine Adventure got the full Broken Age game, and anyone who bought part 1 also got part 2
I dunno, it's not so much hate, it's more cynicism over Tim and the end product of what he produces (which you have to admit is warranted since it can be viewed as using nostalgia as a cash grab and his less than stellar image has made people watch him more closely rather than (insert "shut up and take my money.jpg") which is a good thing in my opinion)

me, I didn't back him before so I'm just echoing from the peanut gallery but after speaking with friends who have and have been disappointed with the end result, I think I kinda made the right choice

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
BloodRed Pixel said:
basic crowdfunding rules:
#1 don't give any money to Tim Schafer
#2 don't give money to Peter Molyneux
#3 see #1 and #2 for supplement.
You forgot Keiji Inafune.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Geisterkarle said:
Naldan said:
Is it safe, even if it gets funded? Probably not.
? Broken Age got released! And I know of no game, that DF didn't release because they run out of money or anything like that!
I was refering to Spacebase DF-9. Sure, it had another business model, but this incident was so outstanding for a "major indie" that it will persist in the memory of their former fans for probably years now.

BTW, what gets labeled as hate nowadays deludes the meaning of the word. But as if suddenly somebody cares...

I'm highly sceptical about DF and especially TS, but I quite liked their products I've played. I don't actually doubt that Psychonauts 2 will be decent at least, if I did I would have said that in my post.

If Psychonauts 2 won't be an RTS all of a sudden, that is.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
Wow... I can't believe he even has the Gall to TRY and kickstart another project. Anyone who funds this is pretty much saying they have money they don't care about... if that's the case, give it to me! I have House loans to pay off still!!

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Can I just point out that, as high-profile as they were, both Broken Age and Space Base are 2 botches in an otherwise solid record.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be cautious. Caution, even skepticism, is absolutely the right response here. I'm just saying that I don't think we're being entirely fair.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Awesome, I look forward to reviews when it comes out to see if lightning strikes twice.

zellosoli

Aug 22, 2011
shirkbot said:
Can I just point out that, as high-profile as they were, both Broken Age and Space Base are 2 botches in an otherwise solid record.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be cautious. Caution, even skepticism, is absolutely the right response here. I'm just saying that I don't think we're being entirely fair.
while I agree about the caution and skepticism, the solid record I'm guessing are for titles that are around 5 years old while other titles , while quaint, have been steadily declining in quality with BA and SB becoming more obvious failures to the trend

I also agree We shouldn't bash the guy (even though he would not give us the same courtesy I would imagine),though you can't blame people for being a little more sour on him

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Smilomaniac said:
Sockpuppet Tim Schafer? No thanks.
The guy is also an "advisor" on fig.co, meaning he probably helps decide which projects get funded or not.
So yeah, full disclosure needed.

Don't back this project.

Edit: For those who forgot...
During the whole GamerGate uprising, Tim Schafer mocked the #notyourshield tweeters by using an actual sockpuppet to crack some amazingly cringeworthy jokes [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEDCcdjgMNs].

Now all in all it's not a huge thing (it's just the one persons opinion), but like most of the games-journalism scene, he looks down on gamers. The irony is that he's here begging money from the same people, preying on nostalgia.

I don't know if he doesn't care who funds him or not, or if he genuinly has no idea how many of his fans he alienated.
Honestly, I don't know either, I don't have the numbers, but it's repeatedly been shown that while the "progressives" don't back shit, GamerGate has thrown a lot of money at several projects and charities.
Look at any pro-GG video and the reverse ones and see the likes/dislikes, there's a heavy indication that more people are in favor of GG.

Personally, I think there are a hell of a lot more gamers on the GG side than opposed, which should give a clear indication that gamers are indeed the people who would be funding a project like this.
I think you're overestimating GG's influence in this. The sock puppet thing was emberasing, but hardly crippling. Even if he alienated GG, I don't think it would make much difference. A bigger deal would be the fiasco with Broken Age, which cost him a lot of trust.

Also, Tim doesn't hate gamers, he hates GG. Huge difference.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
It'd wind up actually being $6.6 million with how Double Fine does things.

There's a reason Notch backed out of funding this years ago.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Wow, how desperate must he be for money now. Too bad there's not only no goodwill left for him in the community, but given his last couple of crowdfunding things his track record pretty much screams 'don't give me money for I will fail to deliver on even the smallest promise.'

And that's not even mentioning what a shithead he was during gamergate.

The man can't follow through, extravagantly wastes our generous funding, and he's insulted many of the people he now expects to give him a handout. Good luck, Schafer.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Sadly, Agent Cruller has passed away due to old age. Now when you need help you summon a sock puppet that can't add.

I would have seriously considered backing this if it was Schafer's first Kickstarter project, but based on his track record for crowdfunding and grandstanding for she-who-will-not-be-named, I can't bring myself to do it.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Fox12 said:
Smilomaniac said:
Sockpuppet Tim Schafer? No thanks.
The guy is also an "advisor" on fig.co, meaning he probably helps decide which projects get funded or not.
So yeah, full disclosure needed.

Don't back this project.

Edit: For those who forgot...
During the whole GamerGate uprising, Tim Schafer mocked the #notyourshield tweeters by using an actual sockpuppet to crack some amazingly cringeworthy jokes [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEDCcdjgMNs].

Now all in all it's not a huge thing (it's just the one persons opinion), but like most of the games-journalism scene, he looks down on gamers. The irony is that he's here begging money from the same people, preying on nostalgia.

I don't know if he doesn't care who funds him or not, or if he genuinly has no idea how many of his fans he alienated.
Honestly, I don't know either, I don't have the numbers, but it's repeatedly been shown that while the "progressives" don't back shit, GamerGate has thrown a lot of money at several projects and charities.
Look at any pro-GG video and the reverse ones and see the likes/dislikes, there's a heavy indication that more people are in favor of GG.

Personally, I think there are a hell of a lot more gamers on the GG side than opposed, which should give a clear indication that gamers are indeed the people who would be funding a project like this.
I think you're overestimating GG's influence in this. The sock puppet thing was emberasing, but hardly crippling. Even if he alienated GG, I don't think it would make much difference. A bigger deal would be the fiasco with Broken Age, which cost him a lot of trust.

Also, Tim doesn't hate gamers, he hates GG. Huge difference.
I think its all kind of linked into the same deal when it comes to Double Fine. Him going at GG and then Double Fine axing SpaceBase DF-9 and flubbing Broken Age was all just too damaging to his cult following. People keep thinking GG died down. It just turned into everyone from comedians to political pundits hyper-focusing on SJWs and PC nonsense. We got a whole season of South Park out of this culture war.

GG just doesn't draw views in for mainstream media. The Reid Report was the first mainstream news show to cover GG and was canceled a few months afterwards due to low ratings, the GG based Law and Order episode didn't cause much mainstream noise, and here in Canada even the Sun Network covered GG in a more positive light but it wasn't enough to keep the network alive. MSM sucks at covering nuaced situations. Online news shows and podcasts get way more views than any MSM network on topics like GG and have been giving it a fair chance. A lot of GG neutral or GG sympathizers are appearing all over podcasts and newer media and given a chance to say their piece.

Coming off as anti-GG these days really to lump whoever does so into the Pro-PC culture that a lot of people are getting tired of. Tim Schafer last fans probably for being another in a large number of moral preachers over being anti-GG.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
*AHEM*

AWWWWWW YISSSSSS!!

I'll admit, I completely jumped on the bandwagon after the fact with Psychonauts, having only vaguely heard of it prior to Yahtzee's early ramblings, but it turned out to be a solid experience and one of my favourite must-have-a-sequels since Beyond Good and Evil.

I will be very interested to see where this goes.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
As much as I want to see Pyschonauts 2, Broken Age has soured me enough on DF's ability to handle crowdfunding that I'll give them money when they present a GOOD and COMPLETED game and not before.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
JelDeRebel said:
wow soo much hate here

Games go over budget and get cancelled ALL THE TIME. Look at how many kickstarters failed

Anyone who backed Double Fine Adventure got the full Broken Age game, and anyone who bought part 1 also got part 2
The problem was that Broken Age started out with them asking for money, getting way more then they asked for, then asking for More money later on because apparently they "Lost" or mismanaged the money they had, and then delayed the bigger(and crappier) half for a year.

There's also the fact that broken age started out great in part 1, only to turn into a giant mess of plotholes and unbalanced puzzles in part 2, even with a year and more money to work with.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Mothhive said:
After the mess that was Broken Age, not a chance I'll support this. Maybe I'll check it out once all parts of it are released and the full game is reviewed.
Did they not end up delivering the full game? I mean, I know it was looking iffy for a season but those bastards figured it out eventually.

And hey, now I know I don't like point and click adventure games. Did not know that the ravages of time would steal that from me and ruin such a beautifully designed game.

But Psychonauts 2? I'm in.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I had a feeling it would use Fig, i'm sure lots of people won't be bothered making a Fig account in order to donate.