PUA

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
"And then I stick my thing down their throat and never let go..."
Yeah, it's a rape joke. But since it's actually making fun of dirt bags who would do date rape or at the very least throw a very wide net around their definition of what consent means (pick up artists, the comic is even titled that), I can't say I mind it too much. I mean, it's not making fun of rape or rape victims, after all. It's making fun of assholes.

Caramel Frappe said:
.. Not sure if male or female facehugger, since Xenomorphs are usually female >_>
Does that dichotomy even apply to them? The term "queen" is what humans gave to it to describe it. I haven't delved into the "lore" (i. e. comic books, pulp novels and whatnot), but I am a big fan of the movies. I don't think they ever gave any indication of different sexes in the species. The "queen" might simply be reproducing asexually, for all we know. Plus, the creature is all dicks, vaginas, mouths and spikes. It's intentionally androgynous.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Skeleon said:
"And then I stick my thing down their throat and never let go..."
Yeah, it's a rape joke. But since it's actually making fun of dirt bags who would do date rape or at the very least throw a very wide net around their definition of what consent means (pick up artists, the comic is even titled that), I can't say I mind it too much. I mean, it's not making fun of rape or rape victims, after all. It's making fun of assholes.

Caramel Frappe said:
.. Not sure if male or female facehugger, since Xenomorphs are usually female >_>
Does that dichotomy even apply to them? The term "queen" is what humans gave to it to describe it. I haven't delved into the "lore" (i. e. comic books, pulp novels and whatnot), but I am a big fan of the movies. I don't think they ever gave any indication of different sexes in the species. The "queen" might simply be reproducing asexually, for all we know. Plus, the creature is all dicks, vaginas, mouths and spikes. It's intentionally androgynous.
Considering that the Aliens/Xenomorphs are based on termites more than anything else, yeah. Most of them are assumed to be female, with the Honor Guard and other Queen-specific attendants being male that are, again, assumed to fertilize the ovipositor. Though it's not required in the early stages of a Queen's life since she apparently has a few dozen embryo/placenta things in her to quickly build up a hive.

And I wouldn't say that, I mean, the whole design was originally just to make it as much of a biological killing machine(with emphasis on machine) as possible. It wasn't intentionally meant to be androgynous, just unimportant, like most insect's sex is if they aren't a Queen.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
How appropriate it looks like a vagina, because anyone who believes that crap is a huge pussy.
Also, what does PUA stand for? Public ? Announcement?

Sep 13, 2009
Interesting observation: Facehuggers die after implanting their eggs. I'm not sure that this guy's qualified to be hosting this seminar given that he's a virigin.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
How appropriate it looks like a vagina, because anyone who believes that crap is a huge pussy.
Pick Up Artist, I saw these types of guys on tv like 4 to 5 years ago, I'm surprised they are still around, like I want to know who goes to their seminars and actually seeks out their shows?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Shouldn't that last panel be censored? I mean, I got enough face full of alien wing-wong just watching the movies (not to mention the first person games).
Redryhno said:
And I wouldn't say that, I mean, the whole design was originally just to make it as much of a biological killing machine(with emphasis on machine) as possible. It wasn't intentionally meant to be androgynous, just unimportant, like most insect's sex is if they aren't a Queen.
What ever canon you go by, I guess the species creators didn't intend for them to have noticeable gender traits, but the movie creators sure were going for the androgynous sexual assault monsters. I think one of the writers, Dan O'Banon, was even quoted to say, "I want to attack the audience, sexually." I don't think the characters in the movie ever make the connections, but we sure have.
The Almighty Aardvark said:
Interesting observation: Facehuggers die after implanting their eggs. I'm not sure that this guy's qualified to be hosting this seminar given that he's a virigin.
Wasn't there a certain facehugger that could lay a queen embryo and one or two more in new hosts before dying? Maybe it's from a comic and I just read about it on a wiki? If I ever read the story that has it, I'm picturing it as a dude-bro.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Redryhno said:
Giger specifically designed the alien and it's various stages of life with lots of sexual imagery, both phallic and vaginal. It was based on Giger's previous work. I recommend reading this section of the Wiki article, it's quite interesting and summarizes this quite well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28creature_in_Alien_franchise%29#Concept_and_creation
Just look at the head...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
"ME NO UNDERSTAND DISTINCTION BETWEEN JOKE THAT MAKE FUN OF RAPIST AND JOKE THAT ATTACK RAPE SURVIVOR. ME MAKE TRITE FACEBOOK COMMENT ON BROAD STEREOTYPE OF FEMINIST BASED ON COMPLETE INABILITY TO RECOGNIZE DIFFERENCE.

OOK."

Continue drawing them out, it's the only way we'll know who they are.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Hey hey hey. Before y'all start hating, that speaker is an equal opportunity playa!

...hard to see but he is pansexual. He can cross boundaries we can't so who are YOU to judge?!

Sep 13, 2009
Hairless Mammoth said:
Wasn't there a certain facehugger that could lay a queen embryo and one or two more in new hosts before dying? Maybe it's from a comic and I just read about it on a wiki? If I ever read the story that has it, I'm picturing it as a dude-bro.
Very well might be, I've really only seen two of the alien movies.

Stop ruining my joke with facts

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
Shouldn't that last panel be censored? I mean, I got enough face full of alien wing-wong just watching the movies (not to mention the first person games).
Redryhno said:
What ever canon you go by, I guess the species creators didn't intend for them to have noticeable gender traits, but the movie creators sure were going for the androgynous sexual assault monsters. I think one of the writers, Dan O'Banon, was even quoted to say, "I want to attack the audience, sexually." I don't think the characters in the movie ever make the connections, but we sure have.
The same creature creators also told Whedon "NO" in Resurrection when he wanted a big floppy cock and cooch(I'm open to anyone informing me of a more fun combination of words) on the Hybrid. The original movie and the stuff that inspired and it was based on? Sure, you have a bit of a case I'd say, but considering nearly every other piece of media concerning them has focused on them being machine killers and single-minded in their protection and expansion of the hive, I can't agree as a whole.

Skeleon said:
Redryhno said:
Giger specifically designed the alien and it's various stages of life with lots of sexual imagery, both phallic and vaginal. It was based on Giger's previous work. I recommend reading this section of the Wiki article, it's quite interesting and summarizes this quite well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28creature_in_Alien_franchise%29#Concept_and_creation
Just look at the head...
Actually, that's more like a Giger thing in general, like seriously, look at any bit of his stuff and it's pretty blatantly got a bunch of genitals in it that make up the whole.

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
MrFinnishDude said:
Real classy. Rape jokes are always in a good taste.
To be fair that's what that alien things actually do. They surprise rape people in the face, if one gave a dating seminar that IS what they actually would talk about.

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
Daymo said:
Darth_Payn said:
Pick Up Artist, I saw these types of guys on tv like 4 to 5 years ago, I'm surprised they are still around, like I want to know who goes to their seminars and actually seeks out their shows?
There exists like like a whole freaking community of these weirdos on reddit and a lot of other sites, to me they seem like a bunch of rapey guys that actively try to exploit emotional weaknesses.
They write whole fucking guides about it, fucking creeps!

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
MrFinnishDude said:
It's a joke about pick up artists being comparable to rapists and being inhuman monsters, not about rape.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Monoclebear said:
Daymo said:
Darth_Payn said:
There exists like like a whole freaking community of these weirdos on reddit and a lot of other sites, to me they seem like a bunch of rapey guys that actively try to exploit emotional weaknesses.
They write whole fucking guides about it, fucking creeps!
Ehhh, there's a dozen magazines devoted to telling women how to exploit a guy's "sexual weaknesses" too sold at Wal-Mart. I mean, I don't think PUA are all that great a thing, but the basic lessons they've got are pretty useful for pretty much anyone interested in dating that isn't naturally the wittiest or prettiest or that have their own social issues. And both essentially are about exploitation and sensing who a "weaker" target is.

About the only real difference I've seen is in the amount of coverage and language used in the media covering them and the lack of a reactionary "Spot a PUA" or even "Be Careful who you sleep with" conferences and lectures.

Edit: Also I think everyone is mistaking the "great rape joke" post as being written seriously.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Redryhno said:
Edit: Also I think everyone is mistaking the "great rape joke" post as being written seriously.
I assumed the person was serious, they gave no indication they weren't being serious. Hard to read sarcasm or snark in a post devoid of either. I usually take people at face value until corrected. /shrug

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
MrFinnishDude said:
I thought the joke was less about the act, and more the implication of what your average PUA is or displays the manners of.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Redryhno said:
...me included.
Though I can blame it on painkillers this time instead of my usual gullibility.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
sure, Critical Miss makes a rape joke, and most people are okay with it, but Dick Wolves (in which rape wasn't even the punchline) gets shit for years. SMGDHATSOH (shaking my god damn head at the state of humanity. it's a new netspeak term, spread it! haha)

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Redryhno said:
The same creature creators also told Whedon "NO" in Resurrection when he wanted a big floppy cock and cooch(I'm open to anyone informing me of a more fun combination of words) on the Hybrid. The original movie and the stuff that inspired and it was based on? Sure, you have a bit of a case I'd say, but considering nearly every other piece of media concerning them has focused on them being machine killers and single-minded in their protection and expansion of the hive, I can't agree as a whole.
I don't know what angle you are coming from, but I was talking about the in-universe creators of the xenomorphs probably didn't intentional design them to be sexualized. The first movie was all about the fear of rape. I will agree it was downplayed as more films were made, to the point that the comics, video games and AVP films did just portray them as your run-of-the-mill killing machines.

I thought the creature effects artists and director Jean-Pierre Jeunet where the ones responsible for the naughty bits on the Hybrid. They went as far as filming the scenes with the full package, but produces reviewing the footage said it was "too far" and made them (sadly) digitally erase the cock and cooch. At that point, the franchise was just about bio-engineered killing machines (and jumped the shark/ setting up the ramp to jump to some fans).

Skeleon said:
Just look at the head...
Actually, that's more like a Giger thing in general, like seriously, look at any bit of his stuff and it's pretty blatantly got a bunch of genitals in it that make up the whole.
They brought Giger on specifically because of the sexual overtones of his art. (Must've been some fun/creepy discussions whenever he was around.)