Public transport

Erubadhriel

Nov 18, 2010
These days I only use public transport if I'm going into the city, because I flat out refuse to drive through the clusterfuck that is the CBD, especially with all the hook turns. Public transport sucks here because most of it is going directly into or out of the CBD. There are some buses that run between the train lines, but there aren't that many of them and the timetabling can be described as erratic at best. The buses don't match up with the trains, so more often than not, the bus will pull into the train station just as the train is leaving. And then you have to wait 20 mins for the next train. Fuck that for a joke. Much easier to drive. Unless I'm drinking. Then I fork out for a taxi.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
i like public transit unfortunatley where i am living now the transit sucks!
it is unreliable and always late. but one thing i love doing is taking the GO trains and VIA.
not sure why i love taking them.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Verlander said:
I live in London, and while people ***** about it, it's still one of the best public transport systems in the world. A lot of people here drive and have bike licenses, but still use the Tube and Buses. There is absolutely no excuse to drink and drive in London
Bike licenses?...
Please tell me you mean motorcycle.

Cuz its weird enough that you have TV licenses (you still have them right?) but a license... to ride a bike?
I spose its not that weird an idea but I'd be curious as to what age restrictions they'd put in place.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well the problem with public transport is it's waaay out of date:
- it's slow
- on a fixed schedule
- in fixed locations
So for me the bus and train stations are one and a half hours away on foot, so I haveto drive there, but if I'm already driving why go on a bus.
Then the bus/train schedule doesn't match up and you end up waiting somewhere for several hours just to go sit next to a crazy dude smelling like booze and vomit :S

But it's not like cars are any sort of solution, driving is boring as all f*ck, it costs you a ridiculous amount of money, and it's constantly getting slower because there are more and more cars on the roads.
And crawling around with a 1.5+ton metal tugboat is hardly ideal to move one person at a time.

I think some transport innovation is long overdue.

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
I normally live in a place with no public transport. Currently I live in a place with public transport going everywhere. IT IS WONDERFUL. I don't like driving and i don't have a car or a license.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
I get the bus early in the morning to go to school, and have to wait an hour after school to catch it back. I honestly don't mind it, the bus is pretty much empty, so I sit there listening to podcasts and music very happily.

I also catch the train twice a week to go boxing, and that is less fun as the train is busy,and costs a bit too much, but it's better than nothing.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I don't mind the bus at all. Quite nice to have that there, meaning I can get around on my own.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
I dont need to get a car or a licence, because the public transport works, most of the times actually in time to the very minute and for me as a university student i only have to pay about 200 bucks a year to travel "free" through the whole state, and its very rare that i have to wait for the next bus/train more than 20 minutes.
Still i get annoyed by it some times, but we got a pretty good system here and it could be much much worse a situation.

yoz13

Mar 17, 2010
People will never get rid of their personal transport, much to comfatable. in my opinion I prefer private transport but nuthin wrong with public transport either.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I skipped a Maths class today because I couldn't be arsed to wait for the bus (I went into the city for 3 hours after my first lesson; 6th Form timetables are irritating), have an hour long lesson and then wait for the bus again.

My opinion of it isn't stellar, but it gets me where I need to go at least. It's just when it's late or they drive off when you're 10 feet away.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
fletch_talon said:
Verlander said:
I live in London, and while people ***** about it, it's still one of the best public transport systems in the world. A lot of people here drive and have bike licenses, but still use the Tube and Buses. There is absolutely no excuse to drink and drive in London
Bike licenses?...
Please tell me you mean motorcycle.

Cuz its weird enough that you have TV licenses (you still have them right?) but a license... to ride a bike?
I spose its not that weird an idea but I'd be curious as to what age restrictions they'd put in place.
Yeah motorbike. And I'm not sure how much longer the license fee is gonna be in place, although it's nice to have quality original tv without adverts

EDIT: License Fee is TV license

cynikles

Jul 10, 2010
I like public transport. Train really gives me a great vibe for some reason. I love having that space between point a and b where you have no control over the time you get there. It's a nice feeling that I use to read in or do some writing. Love trains.

Buses don't give the same feeling, but I still find them quite useable.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
I kind of use public transport. Not much but I do sometimes. I used to take it all the time in high school when I did my internship. Now in college, I don't have much reason to leave campus. The only time I use it is to get to and from the train station every once in a while.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
It would've been great if roads weren't so slow... everyone with their own car just making these traffic jams. Wish we had subway here.

And the traffic lights... every 30 meters... O_O

MentalBakura

Welcome To Das Oontz
Feb 21, 2009
I make a lot of use of public transport here (mainly the bus service), but I hate it. It's incredibly unreliable, and the prices keep being driven up, out of what I can only see as greed. The trains aren't quite as bad, but it's less convenient for me to get a train.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, it's a huge difference between the UK and US, I think, I hear americans talking online of happily driving an hour to go get a pizza or some sodas, whereas in the UK an hour's drive is generally a planned event. I think it's partly down to the difference in gas prices however.

I do think tho, if they dropped the prices of public transport, at least off peak, move people would use it, and they'd maybe even make more money. After all, those buses and trains have to make the trip, whether they're empty or full.

For me, it's a real boon as I can't afford to run a car for only one person, and rarely need to travel more than maybe 5 miles. The only slightly irritating part is going shopping and trying to get on a crowded bus with a multitude of bags. However, some stores offer free delivery now, so when I can I go home on the bus and wait for my shopping to catch up in a few hours :D

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
I live in London, about two minutes' walk away from a commuter rail station that gets me into central London in about twenty minutes. I love it. It's kind of a pain getting to certain places, and I miss having a car when I'm bringing a bunch of groceries back home, but the public transportation here is still great.