Publisher?s Club

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
Kuliani said:
SikOseph said:
Kuliani said:
Please note that no one is losing anything due to the Publisher's Club subscription service, but those that are classy enough to sign up will gain a more enjoyable experience at The Escapist!
Is this a guarantee that video quality will not be diminished for standard users? If so, then good show and good luck. If not, then BAD ESCAPIST! I strongly suspect the former is the case though, so as I said, good show and good luck.
Correct, you will still see the videos exactly as they are now if you do not subscribe. Along with their ads. All those nice, pretty, enjoyable ads. Mmmmmm. I love watching ads, even those flash ones on the forums that slow my computer down a little. Those subscribers are missing out on all the wonderful distractions! http://www.escapistmagazine.com/registration/subscribe

:)
The videos had ADS????
Now seriously, I didn't see many adds on those, maybe because I'm not such a premiere watcher. But I watched all ZP of last 6 months or so. Can't say they ever boithered me. But joined anyway.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
John Funk said:
Wootness. Go team!

And as Kuliani et al have said, you will absolutely not lose anything by not subscribing, so don't worry about that :)
You guys are wussing out. I can't believe you're ignoring my suggesting to make non-subscribers view the site in 8pt Comic Sans. On a lime background.

More seriously, congrats.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
I subscribed 15 minutes ago. I haven't gotten any reply yet.
*angry face, whatever that looks like*
I want my premium user account thingy, now!!!!

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Virgil said:
SikOseph said:
Is this a guarantee that video quality will not be diminished for standard users?
I'm sure not planning on re-encoding ALL the videos AGAIN just to lower their quality.
Hah! Great answer!

And I've just subscribed. Figured I've been using this site for long enough time for me to give something back.

I could live without the the new high quality videos but I am so grateful that articles now can be shown in one piece. That alone was worth the price of admission for this escapist.

Awesome, you guys!

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Do you guys have a paypal option. I don't have an amazon account and I really would like to join the club!
If no paypal option becomes available... well I may have difficulty signing up for this... *cue sad music*

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
So, in other words, you're implementing a premium service like IGN did... And IGN lost a bunch of it's users... So you're trying to lose users then I take it? Well, whatever, game news can be had for free elsewhere. Will be a shame to miss out on Rebecca Mayes and Yahtzee though.

Jul 22, 2005
jthm said:
So, in other words, you're implementing a premium service like IGN did... And IGN lost a bunch of it's users... So you're trying to lose users then I take it? Well, whatever, game news can be had for free elsewhere. Will be a shame to miss out on Rebecca Mayes and Yahtzee though.
You're not losing anything you currently have, as stated in previous posts. You're only gaining new things by purchasing a subscription. If you don't purchase one, you get the same version of Escapist Magazine that you normally see, for free.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Drayvock said:
jthm said:
You're not losing anything you currently have, as stated in previous posts. You're only gaining new things by purchasing a subscription. If you don't purchase one, you get the same version of Escapist Magazine that you normally see, for free.
Yes, but that's still extremely insulting. Paying for high quality when LRR released theirs for free. Merchandise is the real answer, not gimmicks and marketing ploys like a shiny custom title and access to a secret forum. LRR also does that for free, it's called the LoadingReadyRunners. You EARN access through contests. Merely paying is just a sell-out.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
So, how far back does the HQ video go? I'm assuming you haven't gone all the way back to the classic ZPs...

Also, I must say, the big blank space where the ads use the be is kind of noticeable.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Nimbus said:
So, how far back does the HQ video go? I'm assuming you haven't gone all the way back to the classic ZPs...

Also, I must say, the big blank space where the ads use the be is kind of noticeable.
Well, go look and find out. What was the first ZP to be published on the Escapist?

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I won't be getting this. There aren't even that many ads on this site, and I'm fine with watching stuff in standard def.
I think it's a good call though, and it'll probably help the site, so I'm all for it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Great idea, and I hope it works out for the best. I won't be signing up myself as the benefits don't particularly appeal to me (and assuming the promise is kept that not being a paying member doesn't screw you out of something good).

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Fantastic incentives for anybody who wants to support the Escapist.

Thanks for all the quality entertainment and thought-provoking articles you deliver!
Wow, you're an ridiculously awesome contributor!

Well deserved, I must say.

OT: You had me at "membership", Escapist.

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
Hileict said:
Yes, but that's still extremely insulting. Paying for high quality when LRR released theirs for free. Merchandise is the real answer, not gimmicks and marketing ploys like a shiny custom title and access to a secret forum. LRR also does that for free, it's called the LoadingReadyRunners. You EARN access through contests. Merely paying is just a sell-out.
Paying money to get rid of ads that otherwise generate money in a similar fashion is a sell-out? I guess it's more of a BUY out really. I'm still firmly of the opinion that anyone who uses the phrase "sell out" to mean something other than "We are out of stock because we sold it all" is naive in the extreme.

Some people just want to be mad about things. There's a great item from SA where a Sim City advisor says, "I'm angry! Angry about cities!" That's basically it in a nutshell. You're angry because one group of people did one thing and one other group of people did another, both acting out of what they think is their best interest.

Is high quality video even a big deal? I bought this for no ads and to support the site. I suspect few people were complaining about the video quality before it was offered to them at a premium. It's the same gripe with DLC.

Things aren't free, except for, of course, the 99% of everything on the Escapist that you're still getting for free. This is an optional convenience fee, and I LOVE convenience.

TylerBaumbarger

Jun 3, 2009
I'm sure as hell not doing this, mostly because I'm not an especially active member over here, but partly because it seems like profiteering with some of the recent moves on the Escapist and comes across as downright insulting to be asked to pay for quality and full RSS. At least to me.

But I can predict a big problem: Bannings.

I've glanced at users getting banned for rather small infractions. But if they're paying for a service and their account is banned from access, that's a pretty big liability train you're standing in front of. Sure, the users could not be douches, but asking someone on an internet forum to not be a douche is like asking the sun not to rise.

And you can't always expect all mods to be 100% fair. People are people.

Also:
Enjoy private discussions in a special "walled garden" of forums only available to members.
Yikes... Worst wording ever.