Punisher vs Captain America

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
eevangoh said:
Alaster Angelo said:
Yeah, because it's not like Cap is a super soldier who deals with heavily armed opponents all the time or anything.
Not with ones like Frank Castle he doesn't.

Punisher is what you'd call a combat pragmatist. He has no qualms with cheating and being unfair; Captain America does. Punisher is also a ruthless ************ who wouldn't think twice to kill someone -- he's done it thousands of times, after all; Cap still has the superheroes-don't-kill rule, if I'm not mistaken.

If Punisher had time to plan and prepare, he'd definitely win. If he didn't, it could go either way, but I'd still bet on Punisher.
Not being into comic books I find it incredibly hard to believe that Captain America has never killed people. He was in Wold War 2. I find it incredibly unlikely he never shot a guy. I otherwise? I will stick to the movies, who will make sense over making a point.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Because making blanket stats for characters that are different and have context-sensitive styles and powers is arbitrary and stupid?

Let's face it, sometimes comics just have to make some heroes seem more powerful than they have any right to be because otherwise the really genuinely powerful ones would win everything. And there have been so many arbitrary stats, and so many events where A is better than B but C beats A and is thus better than B (even though B is better than C somehow), you could argue yourself into a knot.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Selvec said:
Wolverine? Easy kill. Couple of power mains to the metallic skeleton and thats one fried brain. His regen wouldn't do shite against a constant barrage of power amplified by his own skeleton. Cook him inside out.
Except metal doesn't amplify an electric charge.
Rather, it would reduce the effect, providing a path of less resistance than flesh. Kinda like a Faraday cage inside his body.

eevangoh

Sep 4, 2011
Eddie the head said:
Not being into comic books I find it incredibly hard to believe that Captain America has never killed people. He was in Wold War 2. I find it incredibly unlikely he never shot a guy. I otherwise? I will stick to the movies, who will make sense over making a point.
He has killed, of course. It's just that in the recent years he almost never does.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
WolfThomas said:
Witty Name Here said:
Alaster Angelo said:
Yeah, because it's not like Cap is a super soldier who deals with heavily armed opponents all the time or anything.
And if I recall, wasn't he also the only other superhero judged worthy of wielding Mjolnir?
Not the only one. But part of a small club. Beta Ray Bill the Korbonite can wield it. Eric Masterson, A nameless paramedic, Odin and Borr his father and grandfather could.

There's a whole bunch of semi-canon to non canon crossover characters who have wielded it. Superman did but that required the enchantment to be lifted briefly.
Don't forget wonder woman did it as well.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Back when I read comics, Punisher was an unaugmented human. While he was very smart, hella tough, and could fight like the dickens, he was not statistically superior to Captain America in any way.

I did hear something recently about a Punisher revamp where he became some kind of supernatural agent of vengeance, like Spectre and Ghost Rider put together......or something. I really don't know. Maybe it's from that.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Gatx said:
I don't think Punisher can be taken seriously after that whole Franken-Castle thing. I mean, as a one shot for Halloween or something, fine, but to actually take the character in that direction is just...
Paradoxrifts said:
Because he is in many ways the Marvel equivalent to Batman. Right down to his popularity with readers making him far more powerful than he has any real right of being.

But that's superhero comics for you, %60 soap opera and %40 popularity contest.
Isn't Iron Man the Marvel equivalent to Batman? Billionaire playboy philanthropist by day, superhero by night, butler sidekick, best friends with the "main," goody two-shoes superhero of their respective universe.
I have always found the Punisher to be extremely similar to Batman. The majority of the comics I read are Punisher and Batman and that is because I like how they both approach the situations. They both think and use strategy before entering a fight, both use stealth and hands on combat, both have no powers or depend on state of the art tech. Really the only difference between batman and the punisher is that the punisher kills his enemies while batman leaves them for the police. I have always found that Batman doesn't really on his gadgets as much as everyone thinks generally he uses batarangs (throwing knives) and his grapple hook and not much else.

Though it isn't uncommon for writers to write frank poorly and just have him as a mindless maniac but that is just from writer poorly the same thing happens to batman too.

eevangoh

Sep 4, 2011
aba1 said:
Gatx said:
I don't think Punisher can be taken seriously after that whole Franken-Castle thing. I mean, as a one shot for Halloween or something, fine, but to actually take the character in that direction is just...
Paradoxrifts said:
Because he is in many ways the Marvel equivalent to Batman. Right down to his popularity with readers making him far more powerful than he has any real right of being.

But that's superhero comics for you, %60 soap opera and %40 popularity contest.
Isn't Iron Man the Marvel equivalent to Batman? Billionaire playboy philanthropist by day, superhero by night, butler sidekick, best friends with the "main," goody two-shoes superhero of their respective universe.
I have always found the Punisher to be extremely similar to Batman. The majority of the comics I read are Punisher and Batman and that is because I like how they both approach the situations. They both think and use strategy before entering a fight, both use stealth and hands on combat, both have no powers or depend on state of the art tech. Really the only difference between batman and the punisher is that the punisher kills his enemies while batman leaves them for the police. I have always found that Batman doesn't really on his gadgets as much as everyone thinks generally he uses batarangs (throwing knives) and his grapple hook and not much else.

Though it isn't uncommon for writers to write frank poorly and just have him as a mindless maniac but that is just from writer poorly the same thing happens to batman too.
I agree. Say what you will about the 2004 movie, but they got the climactic battle exactly right. Which is why I didn't like the 2008 movie: he's basically Terminator in that one.