Pure Chess: It's Time To Get Hype

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
NZpablo said:
Did anybody notice the pawns were the same style as the opening vid from Age of Empires 2
First thought as well. Fail to see what's impressive about the trailer, someone took Sims (-like) music and panned the camera over and around a chess board. The above mentioned AoE trailer actually gets me more pumped for a chess game than this.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Rutskarn said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I prefer to play strip Chess IRL, now that's fun!
Is it a simple piece=forfeit system, or does the point value of the captured piece come into it?
If you used the point system, losing your queen would lose pretty much all your clothes straight away. Definitely easier to use one piece = one item of clothing. Plus your average person doesn't know the numerical value of each piece anyway.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Did I blink and miss the part where the trailer got awesome? Can someone please point out that part to me? I seemed to have missed out on that part.

Entirely.

Insurance Salesman

Sep 15, 2009
Uh... it was swooping pictures of chess pieces with (pretty) strings in the background. Hardly the amazing trailer you were hyping it as, and certainly not what it'll take me to buy yet another version of the admittedly classic board game.

Also, the Saxon-style playing pieces reminded me of a certain game intro...

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Meh, the graphics were nice but it doesn't make me want the game. From the title of the article I was expecting to see something like an awesome wizard chess style game trailer. That would be quite cool.

albinoterrorist

Jan 1, 2009
I can't have been the only one who heard that soundtrack and suddenly got an inexplicable craving for The Sims.

Damn you Maxis, and your malevolent proxy releases!

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Meh, not waht I expected from "Awesome". Battle Chess was more adrenaline pumping than this.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
But it's chess!

Ok so we see a video with some high poly models and great visuals - but that doesn't mean the game will all of a sudden become awesome. BattleChess was awesome, because you actually wanted to see the pieces kill each other, often the animation was funny, but always impressive.

That video shows high poly models, that don't move, they just have to sit there looking pretty. Big deal! - give me a chess game like that thing in Star Wars, we have all played chess to death, and visual appeal is not really a factor in how the game plays. They had it right with Battlechess, that brought something to the table. All this video shows is that they got an artist to make some models - that is not enough to make me want to play chess again. Sorry, but as certain I am that I'll be buying a Vita, I won't be buying it to play chess! - no matter how long they've spent on making it pretty.

GrimGrimoire

Aug 11, 2011
NZpablo said:
Did anybody notice the pawns were the same style as the opening vid from Age of Empires 2
Someone else remember that opening?
Damn, that was a good game. I wonder if I installed it on this pc...

Mad Hamish

Mar 14, 2011
The chessmen in the video look like they are styled after the Lewis chessmen. (image from wikipedia)

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Looks quite nice, actually. And chess is quite a good game, tho i hate it when i have to rush with my moves. Then i make bad mistakes and get mad.
But yeah. Looks... cool.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Still totally inferior to Lego chess with it's bitchin' animations...

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Cleril said:
Daveman said:
Still totally inferior to Lego chess with it's bitchin' animations...
I was less impressed with the animations and more appalled by the pants shitting retarded AI. His one "knight" killed everyone and the animations for that were pretty much the "knight" being incredibly lucky.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that that is the first "level" and the difficulty is pretty low. All I know is that my 7 year old self found it reasonably challenging, not that I am, or ever was, any good at chess.