PurpleRain reviews the Gravity Hammer

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Ahh, Halo. The glistening symbol of the Xbox. The most well loved or hated video game of our period. What can be said that hasn?t already been stated, shouted, yelled, and ignorantly ranted on about this game? Not a lot I would imagine. So I will brush away the other reviews and give my unbiased opinion of the game (yeah, I can do that sometimes).

What's wrong with this picture? Answer on the back.

So I visited my friends house, who now lives an hour away from me. Glorious catching up was had that may or may not have involved a wealth of Gin and Canadian Whiskey. Kicking our feet back I decided to ask my buddy, if I could give Halo 3 a go. This friend of mine was, to say the very least, a massive Halo fan with a library of the books and a deep knowledge of every game. If they made an ?I heart MC? I?m sure there would be one posted up on his wall right next to the ?mjolnir > HEV? one.

So we popped it in and kicked it off on Medium. I put on my best Arbiter voice and took the alien thing. Something I don?t understand about the games is how the aliens learnt English. During the first Halo, if I remember correctly, the aliens were all talking in the usual scifi gibberish. In the second they started to talk English, but I assumed that was just translating for them during their own cut scenes. Now they can talk, understand and write poetry in this game with little explaining on how so. Douglas Adams managed to explain his case with the Babble Fish, during his series, but Halo 3 left me in the dark. While I sure there aren?t any fish swimming around Master Chiefs helmet, it?s a little confusing, how or even why they bothered to learn our language when they want to wage galactic genocide against us. Or maybe I?m thinking way too much about this.

The problem I found with Halo 3 was that, along with the talking aliens, they didn?t actually explain a lot of things. What the hell was the big portal thing? Why is there a Halo ring above Earth? What?s the arc? Where?d the Flood come from? Etc, etc. It?s like Bungie expects us to know these things already. Unlike Half Life where the hints are subtle but enough to make a story out of events and previous happenings, I would be at a complete loss with this if I wasn?t for my friend narrating every two minutes on just whatthehell was going on. Then it struck me, this is a fan game. Bungie wants you to have read up on the entire back-story or replayed the game and previous titles at least forty or so times to catch ever word. Sigh, one giant nit pluck, lets move on.

If I could tell you what's happening, I might be able to write a funny caption.

So off went Chief and the Arbiter on their magical adventure, or more likely the Chief did and I merely tagged along for the view. The game plays out like a pretty decent shooter. Combat varies between killing midgets in gas masks or fighting bears and walking suits of armour. Jumping, as in all Halo games, it ludicrous as you launch your body of the planet and basically gliding your way to your LZ. There are many driving levels, which I refused to participate in, mounting the turrets instead. For the tank however, I felt like I was doing nothing for the little machinegun I had mounted was but a pee-shooter compared to the cannon that was blasting everything to dust. The only times I really wised up and took a vehicle was the dogfights. These were fun but were too short and far to little to even warrant a mention.

Canadian Whiskey and Gin, beginning to amount in our blood levels and I enjoyed the brightly coloured textures and the ability to beat gravity in single bounds a little more. Then I found it? or perhaps it found me? I?m not quite sure, but whatever it was, it beckoned me in, closer. Its slim, long vector, stuck out from its rounded mechanical-like body in a fine form. I wrapped my little alien claws around it, feeling somewhat unworthy to hold it, picking it up gently, not to damage its fine paint. Raising the weapon in the air, I knew, that the Gravity Hammer I had just found was to crush many-a-foes skulls! Part axe, part hammer, and all fucking destruction! This baby made the game suddenly jump from ?Aww, this level sucks! There?s too much flood!? to ??Aww yeah, this level rocks! There?s too much flood!? I would only use this weapon if the unkind, cruel developers at Bungie gave it ammunition that can?t be replenished, and made few enemies actually carry it. The only great shinning star in the game and they decided to throw rocks and mud all over it to make the rest of the game not seem as bad in contrast.

Don't you just wanna kill something with it?

Few more quick little things I didn?t like about the game, most likely mentioned in other reviews:
A) The little robot Librarian thing. Screw off! I hated you in the first and second, now I hate you more as a boss in the third.
B) Bright lights. Some rooms nearly burnt my eyes into flaming craters in my skull.
C) The ending. So what? He floats around in space until Bungie decide to make Halo 4?
D) Not participating in any huge battle. I wanted guns and violence on the scale of CoD. The ads made out like there were massive battle scenes, enough to make some lone guy build a model battlefield of one. But nooOoo, just mostly single halls, rooms and big fields for you to reluctantly drive around in.
E) WHat the hell is everyone's relationship between a hologram? Why does she even have emotions and feel pain?
F) Since when did holograms also use telepathy to slow you do and flash their picture in your head. Get out of my head I just signed up to shoot things!

And that?s it. PurpleRain gives has finally played Halo3 thus ending his tragic journey throughout the game franchise. It started off well and merry, but ended up as this. Well, time to hammer on the sign, ?Fans Only? onto it because that?s all I?ll recommended it to. No wait, I won?t. Seeing as how all the fans have bought it within the first weeks of its release, I would not recommend it to anyone else. If you really want to know how the story ends, they blow up another Halo. I?m not even sure how that ends the story? actually, now that I think about it, I?m not sure why that even was epic enough to end a series like this? If the universe is nothingness, then does that mean it can?t be infinite? What?s the meaning too it all? Why am I still typing?

MGG=REVIEWS

Dec 2, 2007
Really good review but i think that if you shouldn't try and compare Halo 3 against COD4 since halo was made first...eaither way good review..

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
MGG=REVIEWS post=326.69852.673274 said:
Really good review but i think that if you shouldn't try and compare Halo 3 against COD4 since halo was made first...eaither way good review..
I'm somewhat baffled by that comment...Just because Halo 3 came out, what, a month or 2 before COD4, we cant compare them? Interesting concept, I'll be sure to try that one out in my reviews.

Onto the review, yeah it was pretty good, I enjoyed reading through it because I felt the same way. It was like I was playing some fanboy made game and not a true sequel to the games. Oh well, good review though.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
i personally prefer the energy sword to the grav hammer, but thats only because the sword is so much MOAR SHIIIIIIINY!

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Nice review. The hammer gaved me a Mario feeling. (You know the old mario game vs Donkey Kong).

By the way, Master Chief is too slim on this picture. That's what wrong with it.

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
Ah, so you ended up doing it all on your own eh? I like it. Pretty big spoiler though, but I guess whoever cares about how it ends has already played it, so I'll let it slide. This time. Naw, I'm just joking around, good review.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
What I like about this review is that it's in a tone that doesn't offend people, meaning it'll be the first Halo review ever without a flame war attached.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
MGG=REVIEWS said:
True, but I was talking more on levels of epic. CoD3 had explosions and bodies flying everywhere. That's what I was hopeing to see.

LewsTherin said:
i personally prefer the energy sword to the grav hammer, but thats only because the sword is so much MOAR SHIIIIIIINY!
But you can't explode people with a sword.

Larenxis said:
Ah, so you ended up doing it all on your own eh? I like it. Pretty big spoiler though, but I guess whoever cares about how it ends has already played it, so I'll let it slide. This time. Naw, I'm just joking around, good review.
Yeah, I decided not to partically because I didn't see it working, partically because I wanted all the glory for ME! Nah, it'd turn into some flame review. *cough*

On the subject of the spoiler, I actually found it so weak. You blow up another Halo. It's how the other two ended. As for Chief in space? It was kind of stupid why he didn't come back to Earth with Arbiter. Weren't they on the same ship? But no, It's some way Bungie can satisfy both fans. The one's that wanted to see MC dead and the ones that wanted him alive in the end.

Easykill said:
What I like about this review is that it's in a tone that doesn't offend people, meaning it'll be the first Halo review ever without a flame war attached.
Do I win any achievement?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Random argument man said:
Master Chief is too slim on this picture. That's what wrong with it.
TheNecroswanson said:
That was pretty amusing. I foud out what's wrong with the picture. It's a sphere, thus it has no back! I have solved the riddle!
One of you is right. The other is only partually wrong. (Throws them both a baseball bat each) The one who lives is right.

(walks away)

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Nice review. The grav hammer is a blast to use.

The only reason I'll ever buy Halo 3 is that multiplayer with my buds will probably be pretty fun.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
The guy on the far right in the first picture looks way too excited (or angry, I'm still not sure).

But nice review.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
"Aww, this level sucks! There's too much flood!" to ""Aww yeah, this level rocks! There's too much flood!"
Good review with a one liner to stck in my head, well dome.

(Its a one liner because I say so.)

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Darth Mobius post=326.69852.674609 said:
Yep. And I too have an affinity for playing as the Arbiter and with the Gravity Hammer...
Really? I don't like the Arbiter for one reason.

His roar. Seriously, what the fuck? Don't they have voice modifiers and whatnot at Bungie? Written down, it's something like, "Nghaaaaarrr."

Daeres

May 24, 2008
Having played Halo 3 and (so far managing to keep quiet on my opinion on it) not reviewed it myself, I agree about the gravity hammer, using that was the most fun I had in the entire game. That and melee combat in general come to think of it, it was much more satisfying than the actual gunfighting.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
PurpleRain post=326.69852.675117 said:
Easykill said:
Do I win any achievement?

Post a Review not amended by flaming or stupidity: 3000pts

Darthracoon

Aug 27, 2008
review was pretty good the only thing you forget is how awesome it becomes when you are on the back of a mongoose and if you melee someone in the face the ragdoll effects are awesome.

Colton Caramihalis

Apr 16, 2008
you can't wright a "unbiased" review of anything. Any review is an oponion, not facct. To review a game you need to be biased.