Quantum Conundrum Review

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Quantum Conundrum Review

It may be "Diet Portal" but, for the most part, that's a-okay.

Read Full Article

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I had a lot of fun with this game. Kinda wish it was longer, but I did only pay $14 for it.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Jonci said:
I had a lot of fun with this game. Kinda wish it was longer, but I did only pay $14 for it.
Have been following this game since the early previews, heard there is supposed to be DLC coming at some point. Haven't had the chance to pick it up yet Battlefield sucked up all my gaming money for now. Glad to hear it is pretty fun. Will have to pick it up when I can.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Mouse_Crouse said:
Jonci said:
Have been following this game since the early previews, heard there is supposed to be DLC coming at some point. Haven't had the chance to pick it up yet Battlefield sucked up all my gaming money for now. Glad to hear it is pretty fun. Will have to pick it up when I can.
2 actually. You can already buy the bundle with both upcomming dlc's on steam for 20 euros (or USD if you live in US because apparantly coin value doesn't mean shit anymore)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
You know what naffed me off about this game?

The fact that I pre-ordered it and that after it came out they released a season pass for the two upcoming DLC's.

I'd have prordered a season pass if they'd have let me. Cheacky fuckers.
I was really mad about this too, I contacted steam if I could upgrade to the season pass for $5 more, they told me no dice.

OT: The game is ok, I was just really disappointed that the narrative is incredibly weak. I'd slowly lose interest after like 5 or 6 puzzles and just turn it off after like 30-45 minutes of play. Sure the puzzles are good, but it feels like you're doing homework because there is no really reward in like portal with the narrative.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
From what I've seen in between reviews and impressions videos, I'm not sure if I'd get it right now.

The game flipflops between not holding your hand at all and then holding it too much, while being patronising about it at the same time. It also regularly takes your toys away again and consistently chooses for you which toys you can use. Thus limiting creative alternative solutions to the puzzles. It'd be almost like in Portal suddenly being reduced back to the blue-only portal gun just because the game said so. Or in Co-Op only allowing one of the two robots to place portals for a certain chamber.

I get the feeling Kim Swift kind of overestimated her importance on the Portal project and was a bit too confident that she could equal its brilliance without needing Valve's help (while at the same time regularly taking cues from said game). There is no I in "Team" and Quantum Conundrum stands testament to it.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Is that de Lancie? If I play this, hopefully I enjoy the game long enough to actually here him speak substantially, unlike Assassins Creed.

Dondonalien44

Dec 10, 2009
Oh good, the graphics are supposed to look that way. I thought there was something wrong with my computer...
It's not THAT similar to Portal. I'd like to live in a world where the Well-constructed First Person Puzzler Featuring Science and Humor is a genre, not a novelty.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
thisbymaster said:
I love the narrator. "Q" From star trek.
I was kind of back and forth on it, but John De Lance's narration just sold me.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
jdogtwodolla said:
Is that de Lancie? If I play this, hopefully I enjoy the game long enough to actually here him speak substantially, unlike Assassins Creed.
He speaks as often as GLADoS in Portal 1

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Pedro The Hutt said:
From what I've seen in between reviews and impressions videos, I'm not sure if I'd get it right now.

The game flipflops between not holding your hand at all and then holding it too much, while being patronising about it at the same time. It also regularly takes your toys away again and consistently chooses for you which toys you can use. Thus limiting creative alternative solutions to the puzzles. It'd be almost like in Portal suddenly being reduced back to the blue-only portal gun just because the game said so. Or in Co-Op only allowing one of the two robots to place portals for a certain chamber.

I get the feeling Kim Swift kind of overestimated her importance on the Portal project and was a bit too confident that she could equal its brilliance without needing Valve's help (while at the same time regularly taking cues from said game). There is no I in "Team" and Quantum Conundrum stands testament to it.
I like that about it, some solutions would be way too easy with all four dimensions.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
thisbymaster said:
And Discord from mlp:fim... which was allot like Q

In case your wondering, yes, I was looking for an excuse to link this pic.

Slash Joel

Apr 7, 2011
It is similar to portal but is created by the same person make sense it her style and i love it.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
jthm said:
thisbymaster said:
I was kind of back and forth on it, but John De Lance's narration just sold me.
It's a bit hit and miss but overall I enjoyed it. I don't think it fits the character's appearance very well though.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
As I see it QC is no more a "diet Portal" than Portal 2: QC lacks the incredible narrative of Portal, but then Portal 2 lacks the challenging puzzles of its predecessor. I love both games, but I'll admit I'm much happier with a puzzle game that makes me pause and think through a puzzle now and then - Portal 2 was awesome from start to finish, but it was extremely easy.

Rednog said:
Abandon4093 said:
You know what naffed me off about this game?

The fact that I pre-ordered it and that after it came out they released a season pass for the two upcoming DLC's.

I'd have prordered a season pass if they'd have let me. Cheacky fuckers.
I was really mad about this too, I contacted steam if I could upgrade to the season pass for $5 more, they told me no dice.
When Steam initially offered the QC pre-order you could get the game by itself, or pay a little extra to get the DLC bundled with it.

Pedro The Hutt said:

Many areas do only have one solution, but not all of them. Granted some alternatives are too difficult to be worthwhile: I grabbed some blueprints on one map with a series of trick jumps . . . only to realize the next area would have rocketed me right to them. Woops.

Moonlight Butterfly is correct, many puzzles would be far too easy with all of the dimensions. Losing them never left me feeling like I'd been downgraded, just that I needed to think of different way to manage things. Some of the shift challenges (completing maps with a minimum number of shifts) do require more creative solutions.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Pedro The Hutt said:
Or in one room only allowing you to place portals in very specific locations so that you're forced to use gels inste- oh wait, Portal 2 did that for almost the entire second half of the game.

Damn you, metal surfaces! *fistshake*

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Why does every review read the same? "Comparisons to Portal blahblahblah let's get it over with blahblahblah".

Can you assume that people have figured that out and just... move on? I mean Portal wasn't the first funny test-based puzzle game and it won't be the last by a long shot. Is it because it's a Kim Swift game? Why not mention Dark Void, then? Yeah whatever I dunno, I just feel like every reviewer has to make the same qualifying statement in their opening paragraph. It's a shame cos just one reviewer has to say "MAN QUANTUM CONUNDRUM SURE HAS A SILLY TITLE, EH" and all of a sudden they're King Genius of Originality Hills.