Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You think that's silly-- some Wetherspoons condom machines have been deactivated with a note saying they won't be selling "sheaths" currently as a mark of respect.

A friend of mine took a picture of the notice, so it's not a rumour, I've seen it.
"Queens dead. No condom for you."

That sounds so stupid it has to be true.

I almost feel like there's a monty python joke in there somewhere but the only one that comes to mind is the Catholic guy with a hundred kid vs the protestant guy who insists the protestant reformation was about contraception. The queen was presumably Anglican so joke doesn't work at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silvanus

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
You think that's silly-- some Wetherspoons condom machines have been deactivated with a note saying they won't be selling "sheaths" currently as a mark of respect.

A friend of mine took a picture of the notice, so it's not a rumour, I've seen it.
The best way to honor Her Majesty is with a baby boom.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I was hoping for a permanent Stat in Canada but it seems like that's a no go. People recently asked me if I'm a monarchist, but the truth is I just figure if we get a day for every recent Regent's birthday and funeral we could be down to a four day work week. Nobody ever even remembers Victoria Day is for her b-day around here. It's just May Long, the first long weekend of spring. Could do with a few more of those.
Lucky you, we got a monarch too, with their own Dynasty Day, but it's not a national holiday. Bunch of useless inbreds could've been good for something, but nah.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Lucky you, we got a monarch too, with their own Dynasty Day, but it's not a national holiday. Bunch of useless inbreds could've been good for something, but nah.
It's wierd when I realized that a lot of countries have royal families besides Britian but the British royals are the only ones who get notable news coverage. The rest just seem to exist as far as I can tell, for the most part.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It's wierd when I realized that a lot of countries have royal families besides Britian but the British royals are the only ones who get notable news coverage. The rest just seem to exist as far as I can tell, for the most part.
Yeah, we got a king too, Philippe II, or Fluppe as we perhaps not so fondly call him. Tho he is boring, and mostly just costs taxpayer money, so pretty good deal as far as royals go. Better when they just quietly do their duties without getting uppity.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Can someone more knowledgeable about British law explain why British republicans are being arrested for holding up signs?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Can someone more knowledgeable about British law explain why British republicans are being arrested for holding up signs?
Cause people that don't like Republicans can get away with some stuff while people are upset about the Queen that otherwise might get them in trouble, I guess.

Last edited:

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Primarily because our government likes to write loosely defined laws that are very unlikely to be enforced under normal circumstances but does give them the power to pull uppity proles off the street if they feel the situation warrants it. It's unlikely they'll be prosecuted, the CPS and judiciary are more willing to call bullshit, but it serves a purpose.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
We are an unwell country.

Legitimately believe this has uncovered a lack of emotional resilience in the population. People think they need to react to this, but also there's no suitable reaction to a non-event that has no bearing on your life that would be good enough. So people are just spraying random emotions around like an explosion in a being-fucking-weird factory.

Reactions: Kwak

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Cause you people that don't like Republicans can get away with some stuff while people are upset about the Queen that otherwise might get them in trouble, I guess.
What do you mean by "you people"?

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
That was a typo, sorry, must have re-written the sentence but not changed it totally. The "you" shouldn't be there.
I thought it might be. I just wanted to be clear, because I myself am not a staunch monarchist or republican when it comes to the UK.