Queen Elizabeth II, Longest Reigning Monarch of England/UK, Dies

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Speaking of which, how good is Prince Charles health? And whose next in line for the throne?

I'm not saying Charles will choke on tea or something but......
I mean, does England even give a shit about the royal family? Haven't they become a democracy. Maybe after Charles they just deband the whole illusion and forget it moving forward. Hell one of the kids lives in California so.....

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I have been informed from other sources that there may actually be reason to dislike Queen Elizabeth, for the record. Apparently, soon-to-be King Charles was naughty with some people of an inappropriate age, and the Queen covered it up to protect the family image.
One thing that doesn't always translate well outside the UK is that the monarchy isn't just this random family of private individuals, it's a massive quasi-corporate institution. I don't think the queen ever had that much control over her family's public image, they are all stage managed by an extremely expensive and well-oiled public relations team. While some members of the royal family do have a sort of independent public life and status, the queen's life was so integrated into her role I don't think she has done for a long time.

Charles (as far as we know) isn't accused of sexually abusing minors, it's his brother Prince Andrew. So far there has only been one case which was settled out of court, but given the circumstances that's essentially an admission of guilt. I have no doubt Andrew's bullshit was covered up for a long time, but I doubt we'll ever know how personally responsible the queen was.

Charles is, however, not particularly popular in the UK. He's less unpopular now than he used to be, mostly I suspect because the aforementioned PR team have gotten really good at keeping him out of the public eye, but he's a strange, uncharismatic little man who doesn't attract the same goodwill as his mother. His most notable public achievement was cheating on princess Diana with his current wife (our new queen consort).

Speaking of which, how good is Prince Charles health? And whose next in line for the throne?
I would imagine Charles has a decade or so left in him.

After that, we move on to Prince William. From the perspective of the PR machine behind the royal family, this would be a massive upgrade as William is considerably more well-liked by the public than Charles.

I mean, does England even give a shit about the royal family?
That's a complicated question, not least because England isn't really a nation. The short answer is yes, because our actual nation doesn't really have an organic reason for existing outside of the incestuous exploits of one family, and thus said family has made it their business to insulate itself as closely as possible into our sense of national identity and belonging.

Americans make their kids talk to a flag each day. We pretend a family of rotted, hemophiliac rich people are our friends.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Charles (as far as we know) isn't accused of sexually abusing minors, it's his brother Prince Andrew. So far there has only been one case which was settled out of court, but given the circumstances that's essentially an admission of guilt. I have no doubt Andrew's bullshit was covered up for a long time, but I doubt we'll ever know how personally responsible the queen was.
Glad to know the political corruption is the same eveyrwhere.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I mean, does England even give a shit about the royal family? Haven't they become a democracy. Maybe after Charles they just deband the whole illusion and forget it moving forward. Hell one of the kids lives in California so.....
I defer to the UK members of the escapist here because I'm an American and the Queen to me is a person that exists and lives in a castle because of her bloodline and nothing else(and is barely related to William the Conquer to boot). I know the royals take the whole thing seriously to some extent, no idea how many other people do.

I'm just amused by the idea of one the royals having watched King Hearts and Coronets and deciding "Hey, being King/Queen would be really nice and really, 15 people between me and the throne isn't THAT many in the long run and the Queen DID have the nicest bedroom in the palace". Cue a series of the royals meeting an increasingly bizarre series of lethal "accidents" until some distant cousin ends up on the throne, totally shocked s/he was spared such bad luck.

King Charles "chokes" on his Tea. Ruled accidental death.
King William trips on a Corgi and falls down 5 sets of stairs. Ruled accidental death.
And so on....

*Looks at the succession list.....*

And I'm gonna stop there.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

I'm not saying Charles will "accidently" choke on his tea or anything but......
Prince William is next in line after Charles.

Reactions: Dalisclock

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Ah, well. There goes the old gal. She was born into an office that never asked much of her besides being alive, and she did that successfully for a pretty long time.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
queenscominground.JPG

?!?????

What is this idiot shit?! Of course the fucking buses will be running! She wasn't a bus driver was she! It will absolutely be business as usual! B&Q isn't going to close because the queen died is it!

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
You know what this means......

SUCESSION CRiSIS!
*Fires Up Crusader Kings*

Oh, Charles is King? Nevermind then.

*Sadly turns off Crusader Kings*

In All seriousness, RIP Queen Liz.
I sure hope the spymaster was loyal. Wonder who the council will be? Good move by the player, this way they can remove Truss and her 0 in all skill to appoint someone better after she somehowed conned her way in. Still could have played the succession better, personally I always liked ultimogeniture better, with a 70+ guy, you know he'll die soon and then its another succession crisis.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Twitter is a cesspit of hatred though, I learned of this while checking my gaming feed and people are making up brutal shit just to shit talk this lady. The internet was a mistake.
I think we can all agree on this.
I'd say sites more like Facebook and Twitter are the mistakes.

She lived a long life. May she have rest in the afterlife.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
For those of you who hate her, she was against apartheid South Africa vs then PM Thatcher.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This is a strange thing for me. Not because I have a particular like or dislike of the Royal family but because like Ford Australia, Holden and Video Shops, the Queen was always there. On the back of coins, on banknotes, on the news and at or involved in regular events. And now that she’s gone I find the world is just that little less familiar.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Just for some reference, this is what the British Empire looked like when Queen Elizabeth first started her reign.

1662670457162.png