Queen Elizabeth II, Longest Reigning Monarch of England/UK, Dies

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
and is barely related to William the Conquer to boot.
I doubt she's any more related to William the Conquerer than half of the country.

The British royal family is basically all German, at this point. The name "Windsor" was made up to replace the previous house name "Saxe Coburg-Gotha" during world war 1 because of anti-German sentiment and to play down the fact that King George V and Kaiser Wilhelm I were cousins.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I doubt she's any more related to William the Conquerer than half of the country.

The British royal family is basically all German, at this point. The name "Windsor" was made up to replace the previous house name "Saxe Coburg-Gotha" during world war 1 because of anti-German sentiment and to play down the fact that King George V and Kaiser Wilhelm I were cousins.
I knew the Royals were predominately German starting with the Georges IIRC. A quick scan of the family tree(boy is that a family tree) looks like some shenanigans lead to them importing a branch from Germany because....European political reasons.

Or in the words of Blackadder IV, interrogating a suspected German spy during WW1.
Capt Darling: "I'm as British as Queen Victoria!"
Capt Blackadder: "Oh, so you're half-German, your fathers a German, and you married a German!"

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I knew the Royals were predominately German starting with the Georges IIRC. A quick scan of the family tree(boy is that a family tree) looks like some shenanigans lead to them importing a branch from Germany because....European political reasons.

Or in the words of Blackadder IV, interrogating a suspected German spy during WW1.
Capt Darling: "I'm as British as Queen Victoria!"
Capt Blackadder: "Oh, so you're half-German, your fathers a German, and you married a German!"
And indeed from the previous series:

The Prince Reagent: "Good lord I mean we're British aren't we?"
Black Adder: "You're not, you're German"

The Duke of Wellington: "Britain has the finest trade, the finest armies and the finest navies in the world. And what do we have for royalty? A mad Kraut sausage sucker, and a son who can't keep his own sausage to himself. The sooner you're dead, the better"

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
And indeed from the previous series:

The Prince Reagent: "Good lord I mean we're British aren't we?"
Black Adder: "You're not, you're German"

The Duke of Wellington: "Britain has the finest trade, the finest armies and the finest navies in the world. And what do we have for royalty? A mad Kraut sausage sucker, and a son who can't keep his own sausage to himself. The sooner you're dead, the better"
Getting Stephen Fry back to play Wellington was Inspired.

Granted, Getting Stephen Fry to do anything is generally worth it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Getting Stephen Fry back to play Wellington was Inspired.

Granted, Getting Stephen Fry to do anything is generally worth it.
The only scarier version of the Iron Duke I've ever seen was the one in Sharpe, you know, where he's supposed to be terrifying.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Does anyone know what's going on in the rest of the world? I haven't got a clue. The news is all about someone dying and so is the internet. The woeld outside of Britain could have ended and I wouldn't know.

I think I am at the point of dead queen burnout.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'm afraid we're stuck with shitty Charles now so we will at best be able to put a satellite up that lets us watch Eurosport.
Charles is a major downgrade. Only moves one space at a time, and easily taken out by a horse.