lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
VG_Addict said:
lacktheknack said:
VG_Addict said:
WeepingAngels said:
VG_Addict said:
Why do people say that they won't buy Nintendo consoles for the games, yet want Nintendo to put their games on consoles of their choice? They can't want the games too badly if they're willing to buy a more expensive console (Sony and Microsoft's consoles generally cost more) just to get games they want instead of paying less for the console that has said games. What these people don't realize is that most of Nintendo's profits come from their hardware. If they went third party, Nintendo would lose most of their money.
I dislike the idea of Nintendo going third party and also wish people would stop suggesting it. Having said that, what a terrible way to present this case, even I can shoot it down.

- While Sony and Microsoft have more expensive consoles, people object to buying a Nintendo console IN ADDITION to those. Did you really not see this before now?
- Most of Nintendo's profits come from software license fees or from software itself. They don't make a fortune on hardware anymore, if they ever did.
Nintendo has always made a profit on hardware. I would think that would be common knowledge.
It's not though, because some of us can Google.

Yeah, they're old articles, but since you boldly used the word "always", they still prove you wrong.

You're approaching this whole Nintendo Defence thing all wrong. You're supposed to present us things that we can't disprove with a ten-second web search. Say what you want about the existing Nintendo Defence Force on this site, at least they do THAT much.
Fine. Nintendo has ALMOST always made a profit on their hardware. They made a profit on the NES, the SNES, the N64, the Gamecube, and the Wii.
...but they aren't making particularly significant profits on the current round of consoles, so your claims that:

VG_Addict said:
What these people don't realize is that most of Nintendo's profits come from their hardware.
...which was the WHOLE POINT of the thread, by the way, are hardly relevant.

You claimed that:

VG_Addict said:
Nintendo posted a $6 million profit last quarter.
...and that:

VG_Addict said:
It was probably from the 3DS, which is hardware.
...which we aren't believing at this point. So when you attempt to preach it with this:

VG_Addict said:
If they went third party, Nintendo would lose most of their money.
...we don't believe you and we argue it.

So why do we want Nintendo's games on different platforms? I've changed my answer: It's because we don't have faith in Nintendo at this point.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
the hidden eagle said:
What I find funny is how these same people who complain about having to buy Nintendo consoles to play their games yet they turn AROUND and say console exclusives are necessary when it comes to Sony and Microsoft.In short they are hyprocrites and act like Nintendo burned their house down or something with the amount of bashing the company gets.
I've not noticed that. When it comes to the people who hate console exclusives I've seen them decrying Sony for it as well, especially when The Last of Us came out, don't you remember how many people were angry that Sony was "keeping a great game from them." Nintendo and Sony get it a lot, it's just that people don't seem to notice it as much. Heck it was still the same when Journey came out and people were pissed that they couldn't play it unless they had a PS3.

Where's Desert Punk, he can verify this.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
the hidden eagle said:
What I find funny is how these same people who complain about having to buy Nintendo consoles to play their games yet they turn AROUND and say console exclusives are necessary when it comes to Sony and Microsoft.In short they are hyprocrites and act like Nintendo burned their house down or something with the amount of bashing the company gets.
It's funny, when it comes to exclusives Nintendo is king and further, they are usually the best games on any console. Yet people argue that Nintendo doesn't really need them while the twins do.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
the hidden eagle said:
Why if I may ask?What has Nintendo done exactly to make you lose faith in them?Sure they fucked up recently with the Youtube thing but what justifies losing faith in a company that makes good games?
That's not enough? People are willing to hang EA around here for giving money to charity. I thought we were SUPPOSED to be unreasonably trigger-happy about who we hate. :D

More seriously, the utter lack of good games not-from-Nintendo on the Wii U isn't helping matters much. I don't want to invest my money in a console that will deliver about three games I want.

Seriously. All that pops to mind is Bayonetta 2 (which isn't out yet).

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
the hidden eagle said:
if you think that Sony never took flak for having exclusives, you've never seen virtually every single thread that tries to talk about TLoU... doubly so when it came game of the year time.

The only real hypocrisy I've ever seen when it came to the exclusivity argument is the mental hoops some gamers jump through to justify demonizing console exclusives while latching onto technicalities to explain away how games exclusive to PC are just a-okay, but at the end of the day I think the driving factor behind all the semantics is the same: we want to play the games we want, on the medium of our choosing. As long as we realize that's a bit outlandish and myopic of an expectation, there's no harm in it.

Back to the subject at hand, though. The thing fans of Nintendo have to understand is that the gaming community loves to instantly jump to extremes. Rough launch? the console is doomed and so is the company that made it! Poor early library? Good luck ever getting rid of that stigma later on, no matter how many games you release!

Ever since the dreamcast gutted Sega, any downturn in a console's life is seen as irrefutable proof of the end of days for that company. It happened with the Xbox, it happened with the PS3, and now it's happening with the WiiU. Don't let the doomseers get you down. a few years down the line, the next generation will have its rough-start release and everyone will move on.

The rest of your post, regarding people who call all nintendo games same-y or bash the system, is just regular old fanboy chest-thumping. The console wars have never been a very mature concept, and the fact that the fanboys are physically older hasn't done much to change the way they're fought.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
the hidden eagle said:
I did'nt know about that,however someone made a thread a couple of months ago on here arguing that there should'nt be any console exclusives.The common response was "But console exclusives are necessary and they promote competition".Yet I'm sure some of them are the same ones who give Nintendo shit for not having their games on the other platforms.If Nintendo has to give up their exclusives then Sony and Microsoft should do the same thing because I'm tired of this double standard that Nintendo haters have when they complain about Nintendo doing something but they ignore when their favorite company is doing it.
You mean just like how Nintendo fans ignore certain things Nintendo does but will give shit to Microsoft of Sony for doing the exact same thing? No one is innocent in this at all, everyone will defend the console or platform they game on and call shit out on for other ones. What you call "double standards against Nintendo" can also be said as "double standards against Microsoft" or "double standards against Sony."

It all depends on where you go on the internet. Go to a Nintendo forum and Sony and Microsoft get bashed; go to a Microsoft board then Nintendo and Sony get bashed; go to a Sony board and Microsoft and Nintendo get bashed; go to a PC board and pretty much all 3 get bashed.

Edit: As the poster above me said as well, ever since the Dreamcast any faltering in a company instantly instigates the "DOOOOOOMED" mentality, no matter what. Microsoft got it all 3 generations it's been in, Sony got it a shit ton early in the PSP and PS3's days; finally Nintendo's been getting it since the N64 mainly, because the actual sales for each Nintendo console went down as each generation passed. Hell PC gaming has been around for ages and has been "dying" for decades now. This isn't something that's only being said about one company, but is said about all companies in gaming in general.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
What would be the benefits of Nintendo going third party? How would it increase their profits?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
the hidden eagle said:
lacktheknack said:
the hidden eagle said:
Why if I may ask?What has Nintendo done exactly to make you lose faith in them?Sure they fucked up recently with the Youtube thing but what justifies losing faith in a company that makes good games?
That's not enough? People are willing to hang EA around here for giving money to charity. I thought we were SUPPOSED to be unreasonably trigger-happy about who we hate. :D

More seriously, the utter lack of good games not-from-Nintendo on the Wii U isn't helping matters much. I don't want to invest my money in a console that will deliver about three games I want.

EA has such a sour reputation that it's gonna take a long time for people to late go of the hate.It's like being a jerk to your friends and family and then one deciding to be nice to them.They won't forget that your were a jerk and that's the same situation EA is in,they have to consistently be on good behaviour in for their rep to be great again.

Anyway the Wii U is just like every console in the first years of launch,they will have less games and as a result do poorly.But I'm willing to believe it will bounce back once more games come out.
But that's just it: What games?

I literally just looked at the list of anticipated Wii U games on Wikipedia, and the only interesting one that I can't just buy on PC is the aforementioned Bayonetta 2.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
VG_Addict said:
What would be the benefits of Nintendo going third party? How would it increase their profits?
Are you failing to quote people or just firing lines into the ether? If it's the second one, that's thread bumping. Don't do that.

Anyway, it would increase their profits because people, such as myself, who don't want to buy their console would still have a chance to buy their games.

I'd totally by the new Smash Brothers game, but I'm not going to shell out for a new console for it.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
VG_Addict said:
It might increase their profits to have their games on as many console/handhelds/mobile devices as possible but I believe the quality of the games would decrease.

I have nothing to back up my opinion.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
the hidden eagle said:
lacktheknack said:
the hidden eagle said:
lacktheknack said:
the hidden eagle said:

EA has such a sour reputation that it's gonna take a long time for people to late go of the hate.It's like being a jerk to your friends and family and then one deciding to be nice to them.They won't forget that your were a jerk and that's the same situation EA is in,they have to consistently be on good behaviour in for their rep to be great again.

Anyway the Wii U is just like every console in the first years of launch,they will have less games and as a result do poorly.But I'm willing to believe it will bounce back once more games come out.
But that's just it: What games?

I literally just looked at the list of anticipated Wii U games on Wikipedia, and the only interesting one that I can't just buy on PC is the aforementioned Bayonetta 2.
Patience is key here,just because there aren't any games coming now does'nt mean there won't be any in the near future.The PS3 went through the same situation when it was released and people actually made a meme of how the PS3 had no games,yet a couple of years later the console had one of the best lineups of this generation.
We'd still expect to hear more things announced for it.

Combine this with some companies claiming to have little interest in the Wii U and I heavily doubt that it's going to get a lineup to compete with the PS3.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Honestly, I'm against the idea of Nintendo dropping out of the console market and going third party, on principle. It speaks poorly of the gaming industry if the one and only company dedicated to gaming, folded and began to make software for the other two companies where console gaming is just one part of them.

I don't see this happening, though. Not while Nintendo is worth billions and not while Nintendo has copious amounts of money in the bank.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
the hidden eagle said:
Exclusives are important to differentiate the consoles from one another, but third party support is needed on top of that.

Microsoft and Sony have good third party support AND good exclusives. Nintendo don't. There's no hypocrisy about it.