Question for all High School Students?

Feb 26, 2011
Looks like I BARELY qualify as this, considering I'm a Senior and we have less than 10 days left, but...the filter at OUR school is cranked up to what one of my friends refers to as "Taliban Level" even BING is blocked on that. I USED to know how to get around it, but it seems they've grown smarter and started plugging the holes. Not that I mind too much. I'm too busy studying for finals (yeah, right), to get on the internet at school much.

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
Yeah, they block them. They also block most sites that you'd think would be perfectly fine for even an eight year old but they block them for high school students. Damn Catholic school.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
omniscientostrich said:
I discovered the escapist after I left sixth form, so I'm not sure if this particualr site was blocked but I imagine so. You could still find plenty of unfiltered webcomics, sites and flash games to kill time and really for the most part it was beneficial to keep you focused on the work. However, it also hindered my ability to conduct Historical research when they filtered articles on totalitarian figureheads, kind of annoying.
6th form? You a NZer?

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
The blocks at my high school are ridiculous! Now that we have a new year 12 subject called "Research project" (biggest waste of time in the history of schooling!) it's even worse. It's almost impossible to do any research at school because you cannot get access to any useful websites. Once a site I went onto was blocked because of santa!

EDIT: They also have programs that allow the teachers to view every computer screen in the class and there's one computer used the the IT guy that lets him see every single one. You never know when you'll get blocked from the server...

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
ExileNZ said:
omniscientostrich said:
I discovered the escapist after I left sixth form, so I'm not sure if this particualr site was blocked but I imagine so. You could still find plenty of unfiltered webcomics, sites and flash games to kill time and really for the most part it was beneficial to keep you focused on the work. However, it also hindered my ability to conduct Historical research when they filtered articles on totalitarian figureheads, kind of annoying.
6th form? You a NZer?
No I'm English, we just also happen to use that term for people studying A-Levels.

jaoblia

Jul 21, 2009
Nintey percent of my teachers give us incredibly short lessons in the computer lab leaving lots of free time. They have blocked the usual stuff but I just use that time to read webcomics.

silv

Nov 21, 2009
Most sites at my school are blocked. The escapist(D:) and facebook are blocked but as of a couple months ago Youtube was unblocked strangely enough.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
I agree that the computers in the school should only be used for educational purposes, but what about personally owned devices? There is no reason you shouldn't be allowed to use an iPod or Laptop to browse the web during free time.

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
silv said:
Most sites at my school are blocked. The escapist(D:) and facebook are blocked but as of a couple months ago Youtube was unblocked strangely enough.
Same thing happened at my High School before I graduated. Teachers were saying that they'd like to use Youtube as a teaching aid, and so they pretty much forced the School District to unblock Youtube. It was nice, but I gruaduated that year so I didn't really get to enjoy it too much. Only went on during my spares and listened to music with my headphones on while doing other schoolwork. Also strangely enough Facebook wasn't blocked because all the teachers liked to use it to. Always thought that was funny.

OT: I personally understand blocking most sites, but things like Youtube can be easily monitored by the teacher. Just go around the room and look at everyone's tabs, or minimized windows. If you're just attentive they can't hide it unless they close it when you come around, and even then at least you're making it a hassle for them.