Question for the Guitar Players?

gremily

Oct 9, 2008
Okay it's finally time to decide. It has been argued time and time again...

Who is the greatest Guitar Player ever?

I want a guitar player and a few reasons why. I think it's Michael Angelo Batio because he is an awesome shredder and he is able to player with both left and right hand seperately and at the same time. This is why he designed the Dean Double neck and the Quad guitar.

Inspire each other.

Sirisaxman

Jun 8, 2008
Dimebag Darrel.

Reasons? 1. Pantera (influenced pretty much every modern metal guitarist today).
2. Was shot onstage during a performance on the anniversary of John Lennon's death, what more do you need?

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Michael Romeo

If you don't know him you haven't experience one of (if not the, it depends a bit on your musical tastes) best metal bands ever, Symphony X is their name, just make sure you check out their two newest albums out.

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
Brian May/Tom Morello/Jimmy Page/Jimi Hendrix/Keith Richards/Micheal Tighe/Chris Schiflette/Jim Root/John 5

pick a name...

Asparagus Brown

Sep 1, 2008
It depends what you mean by "best." Michael Angelo Batio may be able to play with some amazing, technical brilliance, but he plays some rankly bad music.

mkb07a

Oct 11, 2008
The greatest ever?

Jimi Hendrix, if you're going off straight electric. His experimenting with blues, jazz, and rock, then making it psychadelic... He paved the way for all modern electric guitarists (not counting that thrashing nonsense). Besides, you don't listen to Hendrix. You experience Hendrix.

Eric Clapton is number two, in my book, but that's because, unfortunately for him, he'll always be number two to Hendrix.

PioneerMetal

Dec 9, 2008
If you're talking about technical aptitude for playing it'd have to be Steve Vai for me as he's one of the few shredders who actually writes music non-musicians can listen to and enjoy unlike Satriani, Batio, Gilbert and to some degree Pettrucci who are undeniably gifted but it reflects in their music. Also Vai's live performance is unparalelled (excuse the poor spelling there it's extremely late lol) as I've seen most of the big-name shredders live and he was most impressive.
In general though, once you get past how many notes a second played or what exotic scales are used and get down to the bones of 'Is the music good, is it original', 'Is the riff memorable' and 'Will it stand the test of time' then i'd say my greatest guitarist of all time is James Hetfield.
OK he doesn't warble away for five minutes on a virtuoso solo that you have to have an IQ of 5,000 to appreciate, but his accuracy, power and tone coupled with the amazing riffs he's laid down in his career (whilst being off his face most of the time, remember) make him a yardstick to me, personally.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Matthew Sweet... not many know him, but i think he's awesome... on his album "Girlfriend" he played every single guitar track on the whole thing... bass, rhythm, lead, slide, etc, etc ad nausium...

and the song "Divine Intervention" (from the album mentioned above) he added layers of guitar parts one at a time, until there were over a dozen guitars going in one song....

if you like prog rock and haven't heard of this guy, go check him out...

PioneerMetal

Dec 9, 2008
jim_doki said:
Brian May/Tom Morello/Jimmy Page/Jimi Hendrix/Keith Richards/Micheal Tighe/Chris Schiflette/Jim Root/John 5

pick a name...
Let's pick Tom Morello

Why? No way does he deserve to be in that list, if it weren't for his effects pedals he'd be up creek. His main source of inspiration seems to be The Edge from U2...

aRealGuitarHero707

May 19, 2008
honestly? there is no one greatest guitarist. pure and simple.
there are so many different styles and techniques out there and so many masters of all of them that you can't just put one above all of the others
for example, Hendrix probably didn't have the technical aptitude of MAB or Yngwie, but you'll never see either of those players trying to play a song like Hendrix
because they can't, Hendrix, with his singing and simultaneous rhythm/lead playing didn't play songs, he flippin carried the entire piece

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
PioneerMetal said:
Let's pick Tom Morello

Why? No way does he deserve to be in that list, if it weren't for his effects pedals he'd be up creek. His main source of inspiration seems to be The Edge from U2...
the tracks Know Your Enemy and Vietnow would like to quietly disagree with you

InvisibleMilk

Nov 19, 2008
There is no "Greatest Guitar player ever"
I refuse to believe that there's one ultra mega guitarist, and the other ones just aren't as talented.

PioneerMetal

Dec 9, 2008
jim_doki said:
PioneerMetal said:
Let's pick Tom Morello

the tracks Know Your Enemy and Vietnow would like to quietly disagree with you
Ever seen him live? Was really looking forward to rage at leeds and was totally diappointed

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
PioneerMetal said:
Ever seen him live? Was really looking forward to rage at leeds and was totally diappointed
yeah, live he's not that great, he's too busy staring daggers at Zac. stiil, very good guitarist in the studio

Esdras

Dec 8, 2008
depends who you ask really, I'm sure there are some metal guitarists who can split a guitar riff in half without thinking twice but I am going to say yngwie malmsteen, at least the best I heard.

PioneerMetal

Dec 9, 2008
Jetstar said:
gremily said:
I think it's Michael Angelo Batio because he is an awesome shredder and he is able to player with both left and right hand seperately and at the same time. This is why he designed the Dean Double neck and the Quad guitar.
Playing fast != good music.

For me? I would say David Gilmour, I just like his riffs.
playing fast = good huh? You've heard of Dragonforce right? And Eric Clapton?