Question for the Guitar Players?

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
Maybe I'm wrong, but being able to play musical notes on a guitar reallyfuckingfast may make you a good guitarist technically, but I can't imagine that it could really justify being a "great guitarist" or even a "good musician." Music is an art, and being able to play a guitar really fast is akin to getting a degree in art (painting). That is, you know what you're doing technically. You know what kind of sounds right. You know what people like in terms of stringing notes together. What that doesn't mean is you'll be able to create something great or new and different.

Here's where my personal bias really creeps in. I don't really like metal. (Music, of course. Metal, the substance (of course), is really important to our world. Don't get the wrong impression.) Sometimes it just sounds to me like the guitarists are just slamming their guitars for no reason whatsoever. People (not all, of course) prefer guys like Hendrix and Clapton because they're doing something you can grab onto.

GPScorpio

Nov 9, 2008
MAB is definitely not the best guitarist. The only guitarists that qualify for 'best' in my mind would be one of these guys. Tony Iommi, Steve Vai, and Marty Friedman.

videonerd250

May 8, 2008
Really? No Slash? Not even mentioned? Did not see that coming.
Personally, I really love Buckethead. Yeah, he's a shredder, but he doesn't always rely on that. A lot of songs he plays have feeling, and because he doesn't really move around a lot (except to do the robot or show off his nunchuk skills) and wears a mask, all the feeling comes from the music instead of his expressions or movements.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
Andres Segovia. Classical playing is the most technically demanding style of guitar.

Jamanticus

Sep 7, 2008
Maet said:
Andres Segovia. Classical playing is the most technically demanding style of guitar.
Agreed fully- that man was an absolute monstrous beast at the guitar......I think my mum actually saw him performing live one time, and I've got one of his albums.

EDIT: And, no, I don't play the guitar. Cellist through and through.

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
Just for the record: We shouldn't grade guitarists on how fast they can go, nor by how cool they can make their guitars sound via foot pedals and tremolo bars (after all, all you need is a drive pedal and sometimes that's built into the Amps) but the emotion and feeling someone can get out of playing their music. And that is our scale.

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
Jamanticus said:
Maet said:
Agreed fully- that man was an absolute monstrous beast at the guitar......I think my mum actually saw him performing live one time, and I've got one of his albums.

EDIT: And, no, I don't play the guitar. Cellist through and through.
Yo Yo Ma is your hero I presume?

BGinsanity

Oct 31, 2008
This question is SOOOOOOOO HARD! Its really tough to compare the skill of guitarists escpecially those that are completely different genres of music. And my god there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many great guitarists. Krik Hammet, Angus Young, Joe Satriani, Steve Vi, Stevie Ray Vaun, Eric Clapton; THE LIST JUST GOES ON FOREVER!!!

For me though, Eddie Van Halen baby, just listen to Eruption (live Versions with improv are even better). If he isnt the best he's far up there.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Carlos Santana ranks pretty high in my books. Some nice mellow rock is always nice for a change.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Probably Hendrix. I know it's a very boring answer, but he was very skilled, had a good grasp of musical genres and a great love for them, was more or less autodidact and wrote kick-ass music to top it off. All of those things indicate to me that he was one of the few people who were just meant to play guitar, the world wouldn't have it any other way.

jsouth88

Sep 29, 2008
Tim Reynolds, Jimi, Jimmy Page.

I'd honestly have to throw in Dave Matthews as well. He doesn't shred like other gods of guitar, but his playing style is so unique and the progressions he comes up with are unlike any other guitarist. Even if it does get a bit repetitive.

Anstrup

Dec 8, 2008
Of we are going eith the emotional sacle, my favourite is Robert Smith.
Technical guitarist? I don't know, don't care much actually.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
Electric - Paul Gilbert from Racer X, because he's not only the most technically gifted player I've seen and heard, but also has a very idiosyncratic and original sound. He composes all of his pieces and his solos never get boring, unlike most rock and roll solos.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmGXIrVTJ5Q

Accoustic - Paco De Lucia. His piccado runs and strumming technique are breathtaking.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9vNSA0WNlw