Question of the Day, April 28, 2010

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
I don't think that's argueable i mean in 3000 who will remember games like Halo, Modern Warfare, or Mario, I mean thats if we get to 2013

Mar 30, 2010
I reckon games were better back in the day (from my perspective I'm talking about the 80's and 90's). Ok, so the graphics weren't as impressive, but all that meant was that game developers had to focus on content and gameplay, rather than flash graphics and 'controvertial' content.

Another thing I would bear in mind is that 'back in the day' new styles of games were always coming along, whereas any game produced today - no matter how mind-bendingly awesome - is still at the end of the day just another in a long line of FPS/RPG/RTS/*insert relevent genre here* games. Case in point - I'm currently playing Metro 2033, and I think it's a great game with superb atmosphere, but it still doesn't have the same wow factor as when I first loaded up Wolfenstein 3D in 1992. Not because Metro 2033 is a worse game, but because Wolfenstein was NEW.

I'm fully aware that there are exceptions on both sides to my above points, and in no way am I saying gaming today is poor or not up to scratch, it's just a personal preference of mine for what is now termed 'retro-gaming'.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, they're much better now. No longer are games bound by archaic life systems and passwords.

Yamikotai

You Lost The Game
Jul 24, 2008
No way to tell, unless we can magically see what games are going to be released in the future.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I want to say that the best days are long gone, and that it became that way when the Dreamcast died (IT HAD POTENTIAL AND YOU KNOW IT!), but there are some spots of brilliance in this era of gaming.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
There is no ''Golden Age'' in gaming. You get good games, and you get bad games. Besides, someone's ''Golden Age'' might be the opposite for someone else. But, since there's more and more developers every year people get more things they like, so i think it's just going to improve and improve until the whole industry collapses for some reason and then people will look back and say this is the Golden Age. But I'm rambling, and i really should stop typing right now.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
i don't think they are gone foever they are just few and far between

i personally like older games anyway

ayashi

Mar 29, 2010
Some of my favorite games are on the SNES (and one of them - Dragon Spirit - on the NES!). However, I certainly can't say that there aren't any good games nowadays. I wholly enjoyed Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Shadow of the Colossus... to say that games are better now or were better in the past is just silly, imo :)

One thing I have definitely noted, when going back to play some of my old classics, is that back then my standards of what a "great game" was were certainly lower, too :p

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
As a certain comedian says nostalgia is like heroin for old people. I think everything that was good back then was kept and added to the best of the games we have today.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I don't see much of a difference between "then" and "now". Sure, the budgets got bigger and graphics got better, but overall there is still plenty of bad games and plenty of brilliant games. To quote one local celebrity, "nostalgia is like a mouthful of balls".

Tharticus said:
This is a interesting question since the Escapist will probably publish their weekly issue about this question of the day.
They already sorta did. This week, i mean.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Lots of games (being) released in this PS3/ 360 "HD" era are unmistakably of the "run & gun" variety accompanied by some sort of a cover system.

Where are the next Eternal Darkness? Shadow of the Colossus? Okami? A little less gfx whoring and a bit more substance please.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really only think it is a perspective thing.

I still think they are as good as they were, its just how you look at them

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
When you think about it, games have improved about 100000000000000000000000% from the old Atari games. It used to be that you had to use your imagination to add to the lack of graphics in the game. Now, I feel like the game (a good game) can suck you in and make it fun to play without having to overly pretend.

Of course, some of my favorite games were for the PS2 and the N64. But sometimes when I go back and play them after having gotten used to new gen systems, it isn't the same. Games will always be different to people over time and nostalgia sometimes makes things seem better than they are.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
Really Escapist? I can't believe so many of you voted that you don't see a difference.

Gaming has been having a steady rise since the very first games console, technology is only getting better!

Just look at how far the consoles have come over the past 30 years. I know many of you don't like using graphics as a marker to measure games by, but it has to be said that it helps if a game is pretty to look at. And just look how far it has come in the past 3 decades!

Gameplay wise as well, there has been steady improvement in the industry. Much as I loathe it, Bioshock delivered a rich atmosphere with some very fun mechanics, online gaming is now seen as a standard thing to have; not something that is just tacked on in the end.

I guess I just really can't stress enough how brilliant games are now compared to way back when. Of course there were many fun games in ages past, many of us have fond memories of growing up with Sonic the Hedgehog, watching Mario take his first tentative steps into 3d etc, but I think I can say with confidence that the majority of gamers are having more fun with games now than they were 20 years ago.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
I see this as a simple question of "which game would I rather play right now: a modern game of my choice or a 'golden oldie' of my choice." Logically, whichever I want to play would be the better one, so while I occasionally wish I could replay Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask (well I thought Majora's Mask was a better game) I normally want to play a modern game - Just Cause 2 at the moment, if you were interested - so modern games are better.

In general.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I feel that right now games are worse than last generation. It is mostly because so much time and money is going into the graphics, that gameplay is almost looked upon as a secondary feature. I think that next generation will be better, as we will be able to achieve these graphics with less effort, and focus more on gameplay.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
I would tend to "yes", because gameplay gimmicks were inovations.. now we just see repeats of (more or less) successfull ones.

I just "tend" because i cant possibly play everyhting. So its just my humble opinion on the matter

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
There were great games in olden days. There are great games nowadays. It's not decided by when it was made.