Question of the Day, January 12, 2011

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Archemetis said:
phoenix352 said:
Archemetis said:
I was looking at it.
And seriously considering. I missed out on the craze that was City of Heroes and its counterpart, City of Villains...

So I've still yet to grit my teeth into any kind of Superhero MMO.

So when I have some spare cash laying around that I can buy the game with, I'll definitely look into it.
FREE mmo ... the extra cash would be on petty things like extra custumes and locked adventures ..nothing too big :3
referring entirely to the price of the actual game. Have to buy it first to enjoy all that... Free...
Better be able to pay around $50, LOTRO won't let you level to maximum with anything less.

http://www.champions-online.com/f2p_matrix

I definitely won't be touching it, look at the currency cap. Currently it's in place in LOTRO and bottlenecks the game around level 30.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
The options - I don't play MMOs / I don't have a gaming PC - should be separate.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I won't be playing Champions Online, only because I play WoW and just don't have time for another MMO on top of everything else in my life...

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
Not really interested, I'm playing GA right now (mainly cuz it was cheap lol) but I'm really just biding my time until when TOR comes out so chances of me really sinking into another mmo are thin.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
DaHero said:
Archemetis said:
phoenix352 said:
Archemetis said:
I was looking at it.
And seriously considering. I missed out on the craze that was City of Heroes and its counterpart, City of Villains...

So I've still yet to grit my teeth into any kind of Superhero MMO.

So when I have some spare cash laying around that I can buy the game with, I'll definitely look into it.
FREE mmo ... the extra cash would be on petty things like extra custumes and locked adventures ..nothing too big :3
referring entirely to the price of the actual game. Have to buy it first to enjoy all that... Free...
Better be able to pay around $50, LOTRO won't let you level to maximum with anything less.

http://www.champions-online.com/f2p_matrix

I definitely won't be touching it, look at the currency cap. Currently it's in place in LOTRO and bottlenecks the game around level 30.
~Archemetis~
you dont need to buy it ....
the FREE-to-play model is what it sound completely free .
you need only to download the game and you can play it, the only thing you pay for are extra adventure packs and vanity items in the shop.

~DaHero~
no level cap for free players in this game.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I've tried other Free 2 Play games that I knew nothing about so playing something that I already know a little about might be amusing.

Bigdom

Sep 9, 2008
I played it for about a week when it was first released but I came to the conclusion that it was utter gash. I can't see that enough would have changed to make me like it now.

Cryptic have dropped the ball quite badly with their last couple of releases (considering the success of City of Heroes) so I keep half expecting to see a news post saying they're the next MMO studio to go out of business.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
No. I tried the trial a while ago and while the costumize function for your character was really awesome the game seemed to lack everything else. The controls were rather odd as well, if I recall correctly.
To be honest, I didn't give the game a real chance, but I don't want to either.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Already tried the existing free trial and I have the same initial opinion as I did with CoV/H/X (whatever letter they put on the end now days)

Character creation is 100% of the reason to play, fill the slots with cool looking people then go play WoW or something. I said that 'before' Cata' and that improved everything about WoW.

(Funny enough I'm reading back 'after' writing this and seeing it's an existing opinion)

Extasii

May 22, 2009
Other, tried the F2P Beta, didn't hold up.
Besides, I'm gettin Borderlands today :p

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I'd heard little snippets about this, but the cost was all that was stopping me trying it.
Not hard to work out what I'm gonna do now.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
phoenix352 said:
(epic snip)

~DaHero~
LOTRO doesn't have a level cap either, but you cannot get the experience you need to level past the two areas free players get without paying for the quests in the other "premium" areas, which is the only source of EXP available for free. Skirmishes make leveling easier but free players only get two maps that lasts about 5-10 minutes depending on play time.

Champions Online is going to be the same way. There will be no level cap because there doesn't NEED to be a level cap. The lack of content available to free players will more than make up for any necessary level cap to be placed. Secondly, free players only get 250 gold, premium gets 200,000+? I'm thinking 250 gold isn't any more than one gold in LOTRO, which is beyond easy to get (I can make 3 gold in a day easily on LOTRO as premium)

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Nope not interested. Just bought DC Universe Online instead. Having to pay a subscription does not really bother me to be honest, so making it free is not really an incentive.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
DaHero said:
phoenix352 said:
(epic snip)

~DaHero~
LOTRO doesn't have a level cap either, but you cannot get the experience you need to level past the two areas free players get without paying for the quests in the other "premium" areas, which is the only source of EXP available for free. Skirmishes make leveling easier but free players only get two maps that lasts about 5-10 minutes depending on play time.

Champions Online is going to be the same way. There will be no level cap because there doesn't NEED to be a level cap. The lack of content available to free players will more than make up for any necessary level cap to be placed. Secondly, free players only get 250 gold, premium gets 200,000+? I'm thinking 250 gold isn't any more than one gold in LOTRO, which is beyond easy to get (I can make 3 gold in a day easily on LOTRO as premium)
that might be the case for LOTRO but other games such as DDO (dungeons and dragons online) have limited content that you can redo to level up if you want on higher difficulties for better rewards there i already have a max level character with sufficient gold and all for free ... and since CO hasn't even been released we cant know what model they are going to do but if its as you predict then ill be sure to quit it rather fast .

ishist

Jul 6, 2010
Nope, Beta tested it then bought and played it at release. The one thing that made my wife and I slightly enjoy this game was the ability to mix and match class abilities. Because they are removing that, I wouldn't play any unless they paid me. Of course if they did decide to pay me my $20/hour crappy game playing fee I guess I could bring myself to.