Question of the Day, July 11, 2010

Feb 13, 2008
MelasZepheos said:
Technically I should have said yes, but not the way they think.

I asked my parents about this once, and they confirmed that when I started gaming was when my attention span actually got better, and I started focusing on things for a worrying amount of time for an eight year old.
Indeed, same here. Away from the computer, I have the attention span of ...ooh...a butterfly...

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
I think it might with some people, but I haven't noticed it one way or the other with me. Then again, I started when I was 3-years-old. So I have no way of knowing for sure.

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
I think it does a little I mean it helps me concentrate more but then again it made me concentrate on the wrong things like gaming or gaming and on occasion online gaming and of course mmo's..... i think u get the picture...

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Not at all. If anything, gaming makes you more aware of what's going on around you. I do tend to mute out reality while playing though.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I have to say it had a part in giving me a horrible attention span, but the main reason is because I grew up with 2 TVs in my room. One for gaming and one for television. And they'd both almost always be on when I was at home. To top it off, I still have that same problem with two computers and a HD TV in my room that are always on now.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
enzilewulf said:
A little. I can get into a game yet still knowing whats going on around me and know if some one talks to me.
this is the same exact thing for me it's when I put on headphones that when you lose me

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
Not really i can pull myself away from the keyboard and mouse / Controller

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I think if anything it has aided mine...I take in all the little details, and, always seem to catch information others dont

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Yes, but in a positive way. I can focus on something for much longer since I started playing video games. Admittedly, the subject has to be at least somewhat interesting but at least I can focus on it.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Where's the "I have no idea" option?
Even if I had trouble paying attention, I'd have no evidence that it had anything to do with gaming.
I don't really have any before and after references, as I've- ooh, shiny.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
My attention span has been increasing since I started playing video games.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Oddly enough, *one* game doesn't effect my attention span, but having *multiple* games do. If it's one game then I'll sit and play it for hours on end. If I have multiple games (paycheck, Christmas, whatever) then I'll be more ADD than a middle-class kid in a candy store.

This also applies to school and work and such. Having one game will allow me to drop it and get to work, but multiples are just too tempting...