Question of the Day, July 21, 2010

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
Only to a certain extent. I think that maybe we could have large flying lizards that somewhat represent dragons but as for the fire-breathing, I don't think that would be possible on any level.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Yes. All the unicorn would need is a horn, so you'd just have to have made horses need to be more aggressive for the need of a natural defense like that. Gryphons would need for lions to have evolved at a higher elevation where it was impractical to walk everywhere, and dragons... I'm not sure how to explain that, but if there ever came a need for a lizard to fly and have a genetically evolved flamethrower, then mother nature could do it.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I'd say so, from a purely scientific point of view. For example, unicorns. Horses exist, and many creatures exist that have horns. Those animals usually have said horns because of natural selection, they use them for self-defence, and so those with bigger, stronger horns would survive. If those other animals can grow horns, why not horses? Why not humans, for that matter? There is plenty of reason to believe that if evolution had taken a single turn, just one single mutation in the genes of any race, then animals could have had plenty of differnet features that they don't have today.

It's scientific fact. Every feature any animal has, every feature we as humans have, were as a result of chance circumstances, single mutations in genes that proved to surface again and again with each new generation, the mutant genes being passed on, and thus becoming a general thing. That is the whole meaning of evolution. So if a chance coincidence had given horses a horn, instead of goats having them, then unicorns would exist now and our stories and fairytales would be about mythical 'horned goats'. For the same reason, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that there could have ended up a type of lizard that could breathe fire, though purely through a scientifically acceptable method and without most of the 'traditional' characteristics of dragons. But dragons would still be real. My point is, through the entire meaning of the word evolution, all of these creatures, or at least most of them, could have ended up existing, if only through chance occurences and survival of the fittest.

It seems I just broke the poll, and thread, through an undeniable factually correct argument. I wonder, is this the first time that's happened with Vox Populi so far?

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Unicorn maybe, as it is really just a white horse with a horn. Dragons and most other mythical creatures would likely be a no go.

Especially the flying ones. You have to remember there is a maximum size animal you can get in the air before it's to big to fly anymore. Planes are a different story, they fly because of the wing shape and speed, animals cannot match that. The largest creatures to fly are pretty much right at this theoretical limit. Those where dinosaurs, but not just any they belonged to the same group as the pterodactyl. They had an impressive 40 foot wing span, but as big as they where they still had to loose every ounce possible to allow themselves to actually stay in the air. Trying to imagine a griffin, let alone a dragon, actually flying seems a bit absurd.

yankeefan19 said:
Dragons I say yes to, as birds and dinosaurs are related, but the other 2 make no sense.
I'm telling you dragons make the least sense of all. Plus the current atmosphere is not really conducive to large massive life forms anymore. It's the reason bugs are bug sized and not the prehistoric monstrosities they once were.

Now could some large long serpentine horned lizard have existed? Possibly. There is a beetle as well that produces chemicals that when combined will burn, hardly fire but maybe close enough. Still wouldn't call it a dragon through.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Tinneh said:
Yeah, I think it could happen, science is magical like that.
Not really - Physics is still physics - Dragons in the flighting huge monster archetype are what you mean. Something that heavy is unlikely to fly, unless it happens to evolve a form of organic jet propulsion.

Unicorns, maybe. Griffons, unlikely for the same reason as Dragons.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Gryphons? Sure. Unicorns, as in horses with a horn, sure!

Dragons? Not so much.

AS animals go, there's very little special about your general gryphon, unicorn or dragon bodies. If you remove the dragon's firebreathing and wings. Most mythical creatures are just a combination of different species. Minotaur - human and bull. Pegasus? Horse and some kind of a bird. Cerberus? Dog and more dog. Unicorns? Horse and, uh, one-horned goat. And so on.

When it gets to the attributes assigned to it - like unicorns being perverts and always fucking around with virgins, and so on, that's pretty much impossible or at least unlikely.

And of course, the whole fire-breathing thing is practically impossible in any conventional way. And given the size of wings most dragons get in paintings, they wouldn't be able to fly well, if at all, either.

So, uh, yeah. There are plenty of kickass self-defense mechanisms and hunting tools all sorts of animals get in nature... Like, spraying blood from the eyes, horrible stink, fucking sonic wave claws (pistol shrimps) and even crazier things when it comes to insects. But, breathing actual fire, that's pretty fucking unlikely.

Although I like the way Terry Pratchett handled the vulgar dragons... They tend to blow up half the time they try to breath out fire...

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
AxCx said:
The Cheezy One said:
i am a christian, but i believe in evolution
I know your meant to respect other peoples views, religious believes, etc, but I havent facepalmed so hard in a while. Grats, Cheezy One.
how do you mean?

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Unicorns
Yes I think it could've happened. Really unless we're talking about magic, it just involves them growing a horn.

Dragons
No because unless they breath fire, they're just a fancy dinosaur.

Griffins
Not sure... Somewhere along the line there must be a successful gene crossing whatsit between a bird and a cat. It might be possible in a slightly varied way but not in the literal definition of an eagle/lion creature.

Jun 11, 2008
Proteus214 said:
Technically there were dragons (dinosaurs, fire breathing is just silly) and the others aren't that far off from actual animals.
Well on the fire breathing part. There is a type of tree that is nigh on resistant to fires it begins with b but I can't of of the name. If a tree can evolve like this an animal could too. Also on the actual fire breathing if there were methane sacs near the creatures mouth and the teeth could be splintered to ignite and grow back like a crocodiles this would indeed simulate fire breath. I know it is not likely but possible.

OT: Yes given the right conditions anything can be possible. Unlikely but possible.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
LewsTherin said:
I'm not one to try and put constraints on reality. Why not?
Power to weight ratios, organic material strength, and the lack of certain paths being open to the evolutionary process - i.e. the same reasons you're unlikely to see organic wheels and jet engines.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Who needs evolution? I'm still working on pushing that horn through the local horse's head. Apparently, the NSPCA doesn't approve...

That said, if we could make dragons, unicorns, etc, then where are my pokemon?!

Tinneh

Oct 10, 2009
Doug said:
Tinneh said:
Not really - Physics is still physics - Dragons in the flighting huge monster archetype are what you mean. Something that heavy is unlikely to fly, unless it happens to evolve a form of organic jet propulsion.

Oh, you're no fun! :p

Are you related to Doug Funnie, from that Nickelodeon TV series?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Tinneh said:
Doug said:
Tinneh said:

Oh, you're no fun! :p
Just answering with question in the OP and addressing the issue, heh.
Are you related to Doug Funnie, from that Nickelodeon TV series?
Nope. And yeah, I've heard that one. Amazingly, its not all that funny.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Unicorns: Definitely. They're just horses with a bayonet mount. Bone structure for actually using it as a weapon might be a bit iffy but as a sign of fertility, sure.
Dragons: Impossible. They're way too huge for any cold blooded animal to function and the flamethrower is a massive liability because of overheat problems, forest fires and the diet required to biologically synthesize napalm.
Gryphons: Possible. The lack of a useful tail and the bulky hind quarters would make flight impossible but in the ground they're pretty much a warm blooded Deinosuchus, which was pretty viable as far as dinosaurs go.

Also, why does spellcheck insist that "Gryphons" is written as "Entryphone"?

SeksEin

Jul 16, 2009
Dragons and Unicorns? Yeah, I could see that... Griffins? Doubt it... Well, there are already some pretty wierd combinations of creatures, and this... If only we had evolved to have guns as arms...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Asehujiko said:
Gryphons: Possible. The lack of a useful tail and the bulky hind quarters would make flight impossible but in the ground they're pretty much a warm blooded Deinosuchus, which was pretty viable as far as dinosaurs go.

Also, why does spellcheck insist that "Gryphons" is written as "Entryphone"?
Agreed about the Unicorns and Dragons, though I think the Gryphons are unlikely, given the wing span doesn't seem enough to me to lift the large body, and especially not enough for to allow it to hunt for food using less energy than it takes from its food.