Question of the Day, July 30, 2010

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I'd pick all of the above if it were there, but awful dialogue is the most immediately grating. You never find out about unclear instructions or plot holes until it's too late, anyway!

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Confusing Instructions, all of the other options don't even matter if you don't know what the fuck you're supposed to do.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I hate poor writing most when it leaves my motivation/actions askew, as seen in any and all MMOs. "I need ingredients (like vital organs that may or may not exist) that can only be obtained by murdering wildlife, and yes it does take 20 hearts to make an 8 ounce potion." Maybe that can be forgiven for an MMO, not particularly story-based to begin with.

Then there's the shit that just doesn't add up, like needing a key in order to open a flimsy, wooden door as opposed to breaking it down. In Oblivion, nevermind that some locks magically can't be picked, I'm to believe that my 100 strength in addition to enchantments are not sufficient to destroy a shabby door of rotting planks? Bollucks, I say! I can take the toughest of daedra with my bare hands, even a real door shouldn't be able to withold me. On the topic of locks...
It's rather annoying that most RPGs take place in worlds where the residents practically lock and trap their own toilets to make the rogue look less useless. Traps might be fair enough, but as any warrior should be able to tell you, a hammer is just a heavy set of lockpicks, so why the fuck can't I break things open? I'll accept a broken item penalty, but telling me my character lacks the imagination to swing a weapon at something that doesn't bleed is a bit insulting.

Furthermore, do crowbars (or their equivilants) not exist? In olde-tyme games, I can accept that no one has thought of leverage as a means of unlocking in spite of all the other fucking uses for it, (like triggers for elaborate machinery somehow built into caves) but in something like fallout 3, (don't know about the first 2) set quite some time after the idea of the crowbar had come into use, what's stopping you? Did the magic radiation cancel a part of physics or something?

The answer always seems to be "it'd be too easy if you could do that," disregarding all the other things that make the game easier. I can't apply simple force on an object, yet I can launch a tiny nuke at my foes? That's a pretty fucking unchallenging means of resolution to combat, where were the magic lock people when that was put together? What about sniping the enemy from half a mile away, a team of raiders dead before they know what caused their point man's head to explode?

My main gripe is when I'm given a silly explanation for something with a straight face, they might as well say "something's wrong with this picture, you justify it."

EDIT: just remembered; Galen Marek (starkiller) can pull down a star destroyer because "you're a jedi, size means nothing to you." Ok. Those infuriaiting black droids? Grip has no effect whatsoever. Fuck you, game.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
All of the above, really, although of the selection plot holes are easy to forgive for me because I automatically fill them in in my mind unless they make ABSOLUTELY no sense. I have a very high suspension of disbelief I suppose

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Hexador said:
Kapol said:
For me, it's games like FF13, where your expected to read so much outside of gameplay for it to make any sense. Oblivion did this too, and I never even bothered getting past the mission where you had to read the books and figure out where the place was. Mass Effect was slightly better in that you don't NEED that information, and you can learn most things from conversations anyways.
The quest you are talking about in oblivion was VERY little reading. Occasionally you would have to read a quest to find out where you needed to go, not really a big deal IMO.

Bad dialogue is definitely most games' problem.
Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong, but I thought you had to get the first word of every paragraph of the stories or something like that to find the location that you're supposed to go. Admittedly, Oblivion was a bad example, as the reading wasn't needed for the most part, but it did give you a better understanding of the world, sort of like Mass Effect.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Aylaine said:
Tough choice, but I would have to say poor characterization. If I can't sync or get into the characters I'm playing as or portraying, I really can't get anywhere else in the game immersion wise. D:
This was going to be my answer. It's usually up to the characters to carry the story in exposition-heavy games, so when they can't, the story becomes inconsequential, and my motivation to complete the game is effectively nullified.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Lately they?ve just been getting really pretentious. Trying to make us care about these characters then killing them off when we still don?t really care. I think they sometimes forget who and what they?re writing for. They?re writing games for gamers. Most of the time we just need an excuse to run around causing havoc. It doesn?t need to be complicated or emotional. I?d rather it just make sense.
Like in San Andreas. Why don?t we play as Catlina? Everyone I know who?s played that game, ran around that world like the vicious and psychotic Catlina not the confused and well meaning yet foolish CJ.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Plotholes for me,not like when someone dies in a cutscene when you can revive people all day long with items or otherwise but when you have a couple dozens types of attacks to use the enemy has a a near prefect defense but is weak to it's own attack when you have a similar weapon if not stronger.

Celtic_Kerr said:
Videogames should have the "I have played the prequel/I am new to this series option" One thing I've always hated about books (that decided to cross over into videogames), is when they all repeat the same information over and over and over.

like in god of war. "I killed my wife and kids thing" was made sure to remind us in the narrative, as well as other facts. Each game made sure you were 100% recapped, but for those that remembered the games, we all knew what happened, and it was just time absorbing.
Becuase reminding us why Bruce Wayne dresses up as a bat on a nightly basis every once in a while is a crime too,It's his motivation for doing it and a reminder whenever he fills he should quit or is on the verge of death/massive blood loss. If the games were made closer together I could see your point but one of the reasons he's there doing the stuff he's doing is because he killed them not because he stole a cow from a farm.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
While maybe not the worst, but definitely the most obvious (and often groan-inducing) cue for shoddy writing is definitely the dialogue. Personally, I'm not too bothered by plotholes, I just go with the flow. Heavy Rain had more holes than Swiss cheese but was still an awesome story. Whether or not poor characterization is a bad thing usually depends on the type of game and as I like to figure things out myself bad instructions don't bother me much either.

All the factors can play a role in making a story awful, but bad dialogue is the only one that always ticks me off.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I think poor characters are usually my biggest gripe. I can live with plot holes or with crappy dialogue, but if the characters seem more like cardboard cutouts rather than flesh and blood beings (or chitin and slime in some extra terrestrial cases) i just feel cheated on the idea. Im usually more interested in how the plot affects character than the plot itself.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Lately they?ve just been getting really pretentious. Trying to make us care about these characters then killing them off when we still don?t really care. I think they sometimes forget who and what they?re writing for. They?re writing games for gamers. Most of the time we just need an excuse to run around causing havoc. It doesn?t need to be complicated or emotional. I?d rather it just make sense.
Like in San Andreas. Why don?t we play as Catlina? Everyone I know who?s played that game, ran around that world like the vicious and psychotic Catlina not the confused and well meaning yet foolish CJ.
Any and everyone Catalina ever met in the game that wasn't family ends up dead or betrayed,kinda hard to make that a likable character with them appearring to be a full blow pyscho when with Carl it allows for a loose moral compass.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
It is safe to say 'all of the above'. I hate a game that is corrupted by such horrible writing in all catagories, bad dialogue, plotholes that do nothing but confuse the hells out of you, and horrible characters *Example is FF13*. those are the major ones, hence is why i strive to write a book that will actually be good, and not contain any of the above.

JimJamJahar

Dec 18, 2009
I picked 'other', because the thing I hate most is unoriginal ideas. One man army space soldiers have been done to death, add something interesting to make me buy your product instead of all of the same ideas with a new name and new gravel-laden voice

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Fuck confusing instructions, there have been so many times I've spent half an hour+ running around because I'm expected to know exactly what a trans-molecular warp gate power subfuser is.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Lucane said:
GonzoGamer said:
Any and everyone Catalina ever met in the game that wasn't family ends up dead or betrayed,kinda hard to make that a likable character with them appearring to be a full blow pyscho when with Carl it allows for a loose moral compass.
That?s exactly my point. They?re trying to write likeable characters for games that don?t need/want them. Who wants to play a likeable character in GTA? Generally when I play (and this applies to everyone I know who plays GTA) I am playing as a full blown psycho who kills everyone he meets. Someone a lot like Catlina. If there?s too much traffic, I?ll drive through the people on the sidewalk. If there?s an enemy in the distance I?ll shoot him and anyone who gets in the way. If the car I want to blow up is stuck in between other cars, I?ll just throw a few grenades at all of them.
That?s why I think Catlina would?ve made more sense as the protagonist: I always see the game being played as someone like that.

RobotNinja

Aug 2, 2009
Awful dialogue. My most recent example would be Star Ocean. Its a fun game, but the dialogue is just ridiculously bad.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
God-awful cringe-worthy lines. If you're going to write terrible cutscenes filled with cheesy, if not downright stupid, lines, then at least let me skip them.